Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tajik woman  (Read 4941 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Tajik woman
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 03:46:07 pm »

Good one, Slobodan. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 05:18:04 pm »

Sharing my profile wouldn't be helpful. I calibrate my monitor with a colorimeter, so the profile I use is custom generated for my screen. I also re-calbrate regularly to make sure it stays accurate. Off-the-shelf profiles just don't cut it. My monitor is a 24" NEC PA241W-BK. And I always use Adobe RGB. sRGB may have been useful in the early days of the web when there were large numbers of people using PC monitors that couldn't handle a larger RGB gamut. But these days that's not a major concern. I go for accurate color, so I use the largest color space available to me. Currently that means Abobe RGB. Maybe tomorrow it'll be something else. If someone is looking at my work on a monitor that can only reproduce a smaller subset of the gamut I'm using it's their problem.
1.  Sorry, I meant what gamut and you told me Adobe98.  So you seeing extra red would be expected as it's a common problem when using a wide gamut and viewing sRGB images.

2.  I use the NEC colorimeter and use sRGB for web work and other gamuts (mostly ProPhoto) for work where I'll be making prints where either my own printer or the print service I'm using can print that wide.  I use CMYK for prepress.. or in other words I use the most appropriate gamut for my current application.  We're far past the days where we can use just one gamut for everything and expect to be accurate.    And it's not about "a smaller subset", it's about The Correct Subset.. which is why your monitor should be profiled for sRGB IF you expect to view sRGB images accurately.  Btw -  ProPhoto is wider than Adobe98 and native to LR.. you might want to look into that considering your requirements.

Edited to add:  This sRGB vs. wide gamut issue is the reason many of the images on my site (the older ones) have that red cast to them.. not everyone sees it, but depending on the portion of the gamut a particular monitor can see.. it can be a problem.  Most of those with full gamut monitors like the NEC's already mentioned will see the red cast.  I wish there was an easy way to go back and correct them all.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:23:22 pm by Steve Weldon »
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 05:18:56 pm »

If you're going to do critical work, Steve, you've got to do what Doug does and calibrate your monitor regularly with something like the Spyder 3 or Spyder 4, which is what I use. LCD monitors don't drift out of calibration nearly as fast as CRT monitors used to, but they do drift a bit.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:17 pm »

It is generally hard to work on a jpeg after white balance and other adjustments already applied, but here is my try, geared more toward pleasing than accurate (as for accuracy, if I am not mistaken, and from my recollection, their complexion would lean slightly toward olive?):
Nice.  I like it.  I was going for accurate with my rendition which of course would be a guess.

nemo295

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:26 pm »

And it's not about "a smaller subset", it's about The Correct Subset.. which is why your monitor should be profiled for sRGB IF you expect to view sRGB images accurately.  Btw -

I was talking about the opposite--the inability of an sRGB monitor to accurately display Adobe RGB images. And sRGB is very much a smaller subset. It fits entirely within Adobe RGB.

ProPhoto is wider than Adobe98 and native to LR.. you might want to look into that considering your requirements.

Maybe someday PhotoPro will be practical to work in, but not today as far as I'm concerned. There are still few monitors and no printers that can do justice to even Adobe RGB. And my Nikon D800E only captures a 14-bit color depth anyway. Until I'm dealing with 16-bit sources, ProPhoto doesn't really buy me anything I can use. And if someday I do begin to work in that color space, I'll still have all my old RAW files I can apply it to if I want.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 11:31:25 pm »

I was talking about the opposite--the inability of an sRGB monitor to accurately display Adobe RGB images. And sRGB is very much a smaller subset. It fits entirely within Adobe RGB.

Maybe someday PhotoPro will be practical to work in, but not today as far as I'm concerned. There are still few monitors and no printers that can do justice to even Adobe RGB. And my Nikon D800E only captures a 14-bit color depth anyway. Until I'm dealing with 16-bit sources, ProPhoto doesn't really buy me anything I can use. And if someday I do begin to work in that color space, I'll still have all my old RAW files I can apply it to if I want.

1.  sRGB being a smaller gamut than Adobe98 is a given. However, most sRGB monitors don't limit a sRGB image to only a sRGB gamut.  This is where the NEC Spectraview II monitors are great imo, they 'clamp down' the sRGB gamut when in sRGB mode so all you're seeing are colors/levels n the sRGB gamut.  The correct subset.  Otherwise depending on the source (camera, scan, etc) and the actual limits of the video card/profile.. even when all is set to sRGB.. colors outside the sRGB gamut can create casts.  You might make 1000 captures and find (depending on the scene, WB, and exposure) 300 have a red cast outside sRGB, 200 green, etc, etc.. It's unpredictable.

2.  Adobe strongly recommends using ProPhoto and in fact have made it the LR default.  They probably have a good reason.  I personally find ProPhoto's gamut more centered and consistent across the board.  To me it's worth it just to stay consistent to LR and it's not causing any disadvantages I can see..

nemo295

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 10:57:25 am »

1.  sRGB being a smaller gamut than Adobe98 is a given. However, most sRGB monitors don't limit a sRGB image to only a sRGB gamut.  This is where the NEC Spectraview II monitors are great imo, they 'clamp down' the sRGB gamut when in sRGB mode so all you're seeing are colors/levels n the sRGB gamut.  The correct subset.  Otherwise depending on the source (camera, scan, etc) and the actual limits of the video card/profile.. even when all is set to sRGB.. colors outside the sRGB gamut can create casts.  You might make 1000 captures and find (depending on the scene, WB, and exposure) 300 have a red cast outside sRGB, 200 green, etc, etc.. It's unpredictable.

2.  Adobe strongly recommends using ProPhoto and in fact have made it the LR default.  They probably have a good reason.  I personally find ProPhoto's gamut more centered and consistent across the board. To me it's worth it just to stay consistent to LR and it's not causing any disadvantages I can see..

I'm sure you have your reasons for sticking with sRGB that make sense for the kind of work you do. And I have no reason to question what you say about your NEC monitor. But as far as LR using PPRGB as its default color space is concerned, it's irrelevant for me since I don't use LR. Photoshop is more compatible with the way I like to work and manage my files. So until my copy of Photoshop CS6 becomes so out of date that I'm forced to upgrade to something new, I'll continue to use it for all of my post processsing. I will probably work within PPRGB at some point, but given that there's nothing currently that can either display or print anything more than a fraction of that space I'm not going to worry about it. And like I said, when the day does finally arrive when PPRGB becomes the order of the day, my RAW files aren't going anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:03:38 am by Doug Frost »

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 03:27:03 am »

Perhaps we should keep the in-depth colour management discussions for the Colour Management section.

Damon, an excellent picture of a beautiful woman.  Perhaps I find the two highlight areas in the background a bit of a distraction - otherwise great.

Jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up