Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: West Coast Trip  (Read 894 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
West Coast Trip
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:31 am »

I will be traveling from Glendora, CA to the coast and up starting July 1 and trying to make a lunch date with Al weber on the 2nd in Carmel, then up to wine country so the missus can indulge her tastes of the vine. From there a short visit to Paradise for the 3rd through the morning of the 5th, back to the coast and on the CA, OR and WA coast to Neah Bay then Port Townsend and the ferry to Whidbey up to Anacortes and over to Friday Harbor on another ferry.

After that, across WA, ID, MT, ND, MN, WI, IL, IN and dead south back to FL.

Anyone knowing a good, don't miss this photo op location in either of the three coastal states or others, please let me know either on response to this post or PM.

Much appreciated,

Chris
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

nemo295

Re: West Coast Trip
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:40 am »

The Pacific Northwest is one of the most scenic regions on the planet. The photographic opportunities will be endless.

Bring lots of memory cards.

Sounds like trip of a lifetime. I'm envious.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:43 am »

8 - 8GB, 2-16GB cards should suffice. Does anyone know if you can download from your camera to a portable hard drive? I have a D7000 and a WD 750 GB portable hard drive.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

nemo295

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »

8 - 8GB, 2-16GB cards should suffice. Does anyone know if you can download from your camera to a portable hard drive? I have a D7000 and a WD 750 GB portable hard drive.

I'm pretty sure you can't. But you could copy from the card to the hard drive if you have a laptop with a card reader.

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:14 pm »

Of course  :: PT LOBOS and Northern BIG SUR >  AL knows it well ... ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 02:19:48 pm »

You need a computer as an intermediate between the drive and your card, Chris. If you're going to do this kind of stuff you probably need something like the Colospace UDMA card-reader and drive I carry if I'm away from my laptop. The problem with relying on storage cards is that they can fail, and when one fails, everything on the card is gone. I like to back up my cards to the Colorspace. Another possibility is an Apacer Disk Steno, which will let you transfer stuff from your cards directly to a CD or DVD. I used to carry one when I traveled, but once I got the Colorspace I started leaving the Apacer behind. The advantage of the Apacer, though, is that it gives you optical storage -- more secure than the magnetic storage on a disk drive.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Tonysx

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »

Take your laptop and portable HD. You will be inundated with photo ops. Don't waste them for lack of space! If you can get there, one of the most wonderful places is Olympic National Park in WA. The amount of different scenery is mind-boggling. And if you're in the location, the old railway museum in Sacramento is worth a visit. Just trying to provide alternatives to the usual mundane tourist options.  :D :D :D
‘Be you ever so high, the law

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:44 pm »

I don't like to lug anything as big as a laptop with me on a trip, so I do a variant of what Russ suggested. I carry a bunch of memory cards and two of the Colorspace units. I download everything to both of them every evening and reformat the card.

Once, several years ago when I was using a couple of early predecessors of the Colorsapce, one of the HDs quit part way through the trip. From then on I backed up everything on the remaining HD and saved each card without reformatting. The bunch of cards got me handily through the last week of the trip, and I still had two good copies of everything.

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up