Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassy/Mamiya Leaf Shutter Lenses: How Do You Compose?  (Read 7965 times)

JoeKitchen

Hassy/Mamiya Leaf Shutter Lenses: How Do You Compose?
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:19 pm »

Ok, so this is something I have been wondering for a while now.  How do you shoot using LF lenses on a DSLR camera like a Hassy?  I know that on my tech camera you need open the shutters, compose, close the shutters and than capture the image.  I would assume this is the same procedure on a Hassy or Mamiya.  Hold the camera with the shutters open and mirror down to compose, then what?

Do you process the release button and the shutters close real fast, mirror pops up, and than the capture happens?  If so, there would seem to me to be some drag. 

Or do you compose on a tripod just like a tech camera and not move the camera while shooting?
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Hassy/Mamiya Leaf Shutter Lenses: How Do You Compose?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:14:43 pm »

I honestly have no clue what your asking, maybe re-phrasing it?

If I am not mistaken, when you are using a Leaf Shutter on a medium format SLR camera, the mirror is down, which allows you to compose through the viewfinder, and then when you release the shutter the mirror will go up, while the mirror is going up the blades of the leaf shutter close completely and then open to the aperture selected and then close again and then the mirror will reset and the leaf shutter blades open again for composition.

if thats what your asking....
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:03:49 pm »

That's right, this is what I am wondering.  I am just curious if there is any lag time from when you click the release to when the image is actually captured. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:49:19 pm »

Well I just discovered that there is no shutter in the H body (which makes sense since all of the lenses are leaf shutter) so I hope that there is no lag there....and I never experienced anything in my H3D or the H4's ive rented in the past
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »

You asked how to use LF (large-format) lenses on a Hassy. Is this what you actually mean? Or do you simply mean leaf-shutter lenses? If it's the former, you can't use large-format lenses on a DSLR like a Hassy. There's no adapter. Even if there were, you wouldn't be able to focus anything wider than an 80mm; those lenses need to be closer to the sensor/film plane than the Hassy body allows. And there's no way to slide them closer to / farther from the sensor for focusing. Even if you had them in helical mounts, as I mentioned, you couldn't get the wider ones close enough to the sensor. There's also no connection between the body and the lens, so when you triggered body's shutter, the lens wouldn't fire.

If somehow you were able to mount a large-format lens on a Hassy, I think you'd compose with the mirror down and the aperture wide open. Then you'd stop down the aperture, lock up the mirror and trigger the lens's shutter to shoot (with the lens connected to the back via PC sync, as on a technical camera).

Now, if you simply mean using leaf-shutter lenses on a Hassy, like the HC lenses, it's just like any DSLR. You fire the shutter from the camera, the mirror pops up, the rear gate on the body opens, the lens stops down and the shutter activates. It's pretty instantaneous, like any 35mm DSLR. There's of course a delay in nanoseconds between the moment of pressing the shutter and the image being captured, due to all those in-between steps the camera does, but it's nothing.

Hope that helps.

jerome_m

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:17 pm »

That's right, this is what I am wondering.  I am just curious if there is any lag time from when you click the release to when the image is actually captured.

The lag is adjustable in fractions of seconds on the Hasselblad H.

BTW: there is a secondary shutter in the Hasselblad bodies, but it is only there to protect the film and it only has one speed. You can see the cloth of the shutter when you take the back away. So the correct cinematics are:
-close the leaf shutter
-raise the mirror
-open the body shutter
-open and close the leaf shutter for the set time
-close the body shutter
-lower the mirror
-open the leaf shutter
All this takes less than a second since the camera can shoot a bit more than one picture a second.
Pages: [1]   Go Up