Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What may happen to NAPP and Scott Kelbys empire with the CC  (Read 6584 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

Scott Kelby and his group (should be?) quite concerned to say the least with all this Creative Clould mess goings on.
Their client base IS the photography enthusiast group that Adobe does not seem too concerned with losing.
I like the NAPP and have been a member for quite a few years.
I can see their annual membership numbers just falling through the roof.
Wonder what kind of damage control Scott is undertaking. I doubt his infamous letter to Adobe is going to covert the masses to keep throwing money his way.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:59:04 pm by Dan Berg »

RFPhotography

Re: What may happen to NAPP and Scott Kelbys empire with the CC
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:28:31 am »

Scott Kelby and his group should be quite concerned to say the least with all this Creative Clould mess goings on.
Their client base IS the photography enthusiast group that Adobe does not seem too concerned with losing.
I like the NAPP and have been a member for quite a few years,just not sure it is in my future.
I can see their annual membership numbers just falling through the roof.
Wonder what kind of damage control Scott is undertaking. I doubt his infamous letter to Adobe is going to covert the masses to keep throwing money his way.
Thoughts?

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Scott.   ;D

Not a great loss if it were to happen.  Most definitely not a fan of the 'Kelby Method' and not a member of the Kult of Kelby.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45:23 am »

I don't think the training empires like Kelby & Lynda will suffer much, possibly they may benefit from it.
Once the initial fuss dies down I suspect we'll see people using the option for short term rental of CC products. Just to work on and finish individual projects that they normally wouldn't be able to contemplate. To make the best use of the time available people may choose to spend a little on access to training, then move to the suite for the project.
As an example I have Premiere Pro 5, but would only rarely need After Effects. Buy a month at Lynda to get up to speed on AE and then rent a month of AE to complete the project, then walk away. I win by not having to buy AE and Lynda wins a month of subscription fees.

BJL

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:43:19 pm »

Putting aside speculation and the "you can't prove that they're not going to do it" argument, there is not the slightest evidence that Adobe is going to move Lightroom to a subscription model. Also, there is evidence that a substantial majority of actual paying Photoshop customers had already moved to the CC subscription model before the recent news about CS fading away. So, no matter how much some photographers might be upset by the CC move, I doubt that the PhotoShop/Lightroom training business is in trouble.

Also if other rival products do take significant market share away from PS, the PS/LR trainers will surely develop new training products for them, and they could even do better than now, because changing to new software likely increases the need for (re-)training help.

mondeo

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:29:04 am »

I think many publishers of Photoshop related books / magazines / tutroials benefit from the number of pirated versions floating around. They are always updating the books with each version and I cant imagine professional graphic artists and user buy these books. They are 90% rehashed previous content. So I suspect that if Adobe succeed and the number of copies of PS used drops so will the sales of Photoshop for dummies books and the like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up