Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Appreciation - Jeff Schewe  (Read 44201 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Appreciation - Jeff Schewe
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:15 am »

OK this Ken Rockwell bashing is getting old. He has become the angry photographer's scapegoat.  Wake up folks this is the internet age.  Ken's site is harmless compared to what else is out there.  Each year I teach 5th graders about being careful regarding what they read on the web.  It is called reliability and validity.  In this day and age even adults need to do their homework while on the web. 

Instead I will start an appreciating thread, and Rob C don't give me a hard time (yes I live in California and have longish hair and love to listen to the Grateful Dead):

I appreciate Jeff Schewe for chiming in and answering our questions.  Yes he is rough around the edges but you got to admit he has a cool beard.  I just watch his Lightroom tutorial on input sharpening for the 3rd time and applied my new knowledge to a 17 x22 landscape print.  All I can say is WOW!   

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Appreciation - Jeff Schewe
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:30 am »

Jeff is terrific - both in his really deep knowledge and his willingness to share with clarity of words both on the page and when speaking. If you don't already own it I highly recommend his book "The Digital Negative" and look forward to "The Digital print" which is coming this fall. I also recommend his contributions to the update of the late (and sorely missed) Bruce Fraser's "Real World Sharpening" text.

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:32 am »

I am also awaiting my pre-ordered copy of The Digital Print. TDN gives lots of food for thought.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:29 am »

Let me add my voice to this... Jeff is awesome. I've never met him but never have I not learned something from seeing his posts, videos, book, and web info.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »

OK this Ken Rockwell bashing is getting old. He has become the angry photographer's scapegoat.  Wake up folks this is the internet age.  Ken's site is harmless compared to what else is out there.  Each year I teach 5th graders about being careful regarding what they read on the web.  It is called reliability and validity.  In this day and age even adults need to do their homework while on the web. 

Instead I will start an appreciating thread, and Rob C don't give me a hard time (yes I live in California and have longish hair and love to listen to the Grateful Dead):I appreciate Jeff Schewe for chiming in and answering our questions.  Yes he is rough around the edges but you got to admit he has a cool beard.  I just watch his Lightroom tutorial on input sharpening for the 3rd time and applied my new knowledge to a 17 x22 landscape print.  All I can say is WOW!   

This is an interesting switch on Internet perceptions: I have a ponytail (remnants of) and wear a bandana (but not to bed).

I love Chuck Berry, Thelonious Monk, Satchmo, one of the Mamas in the Mamas and Papas, Gram Parsons (I won't bother to mention the Stones because that's standard), The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Cookie and the Cupcakes and most Swamp Pop Rock. Why would I have anything against wee Schewe?

Oh, I dig you now; just giving me another free pop at an extra fifteen minutes and celebrity! Thank you, most kind!

;-)

Rob C

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 02:28:53 pm »

The only thing that has ever disappointed me about Jeff is that he rides a BMW, instead of some Hinckley-based mettle ;)

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 03:26:46 pm »

Not to go too OT, but in addition to Jeff, I appreciate the time Eric Chan takes to post in the forums.

Glenn NK

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 03:30:36 pm »

Jeff is terrific - both in his really deep knowledge and his willingness to share with clarity of words both on the page and when speaking. If you don't already own it I highly recommend his book "The Digital Negative" and look forward to "The Digital print" which is coming this fall. I also recommend his contributions to the update of the late (and sorely missed) Bruce Fraser's "Real World Sharpening" text.

Agreed.

What I don't understand is why everyone is ragging on him about the CC issue - surely he had nothing to do with it.

But we always shoot the messenger don't we.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 04:04:15 pm »

+1.

And as far as I'm concerned, the BMW is quite fine. The one I had back then (the '60s) was the most reliable and most fun vehicle I've ever owned.

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 04:50:30 pm »

I've got to chime in here too.  I feel both Jeff and Michael are the two people most responsible for my photography skills.   It's nothing to write home about as I'm only a weekend warrier but I can tell my images are vastly improved because of these two guys.

Kudos to both of you.  Chris and Eric too!  You all rock.

And Eric, I didn't realize you live in Boston until I watched LR5 videos.  I used to work just down the road on 2nd Ave - Bear Hill turns into 2nd Ave at the TD Bank corner.  If I ever spot you out in town I'm buying you dinner. 
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

John Camp

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:37 pm »

+1. Read the book and will buy the next one.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 05:59:41 pm »

Group Hug! :D

Peter

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »

Group Hug! :D

Peter

Absolutely! I applaud Jeff Schewe and Ken Rockwell, all better men than I -

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:39:44 pm »

If you want to see real love check out this. Or if you have no patience go to 8:23.  Too bad this guy self destructed not long after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCuA2nt_6A

Rand47

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:44:35 am »

I feel both Jeff and Michael are the two people most responsible for my photography skills. 

I have to agree with this.  LuLa has been a main stay for me for a long time now.  I mostly work alone and don't have much opportunity to interact with other photographers in person.  These two fellows (and I'd now include Eric Chan since he's made himself available to participate) have "taught me most of what I know" about digital work.  Their knowledge and sharing brings me much information and pleasure as I pursue increasing my own ability.

Can't leave out Chris . . . who is mostly invisible to us, but without whom we'd "see precisely nothing" in the most literal sense of it.

Jeff's sharpening book (homage to Bruce here too) helped me understand "what I was looking at."  His Digital Negative book is a shining example of brevity and clarity.  Jeff seems to me to be one part iconoclast, one part avuncular curmudgeon,  and one part team player who has actively pursued making things better for all of us in an altruistic way.  Now, that's one weird combination!  But it makes me want to buy him a libation of his choosing, if I ever get to meet him.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 12:04:56 pm »

Can't leave out Chris . . . who is mostly invisible to us, but without whom we'd "see precisely nothing" in the most literal sense of it.

+1

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:41:03 pm »

The only thing that has ever disappointed me about Jeff is that he rides a BMW, instead of some Hinckley-based mettle ;)

Hey, I had a Harley FLST Heritage Softail...loved the look, hated the ride. I did a trip to/from Santa Fe riding through Colorado in the snow. No ABS...nearly went down 1/2 dozen times :~( Got home and decided I would stick with my BMW R1100GS.

AFairley

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 02:12:10 pm »

Never understood why anyone would even look at a Harley if they could ride a BMW...  (Former R69 owner)

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »

I don't doubt that you hated the ride. "Chrome transportation devices" would never be a choice of mine to ride either. I imagine that long of a ride on a two-wheeled tractor even without snow, would be enough to make up one's mind.

I was referring to the oil-soaked twins and silky triples from Triumph (specifically the Tiger), with which the equally great GS1100 series shares the market with. Hinckley is the home of Triumph, where they've shown their mettle by being the oldest motorcycle manufacturer still in production.

+2 about the rest of the dream team. They are a constant source of reliable information, and the price has always been right :)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 05:14:53 am »

The Beemer makes him even cooler!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up