Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking the horizon  (Read 2297 times)

mdg

• MdG Landscape
Breaking the horizon
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:29:54 am »

You thoughts please?  Thank you

WalterEG

Re: Breaking the horizon
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:25:44 am »

The image evokes warm memories of romantic and happy times.

francois

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:13 am »

Very few elements in this image, you got them right and the result is simply beautiful.

Bravo!
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:05 am »

Very few elements in this image, you got them right and the result is simply beautiful.

Bravo!
+1.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:54 am »

+2
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:43:31 am »

The clouds strike me as out of balance. The rest of the picture is quite symmetrical and at rest, so the clouds sort of stand out.

It is very nice, though, the clouds is a minor quibble.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:48 am »

Your shot's lovely.

What you might care to try is this: on the lower of the clouds to the left of the pole, create a little highlight, and match it with a smaller one on the bottom of the lowest big cloud on the right.

It would serve to make the clouds contribute to the silver of the horizon instead of just slightly distract as they might do as is, at the same time creating a tiny diagonal dynamic playing counterpooint to the strict horizontal...

It might not work at all, but were it mine I'd certainly try it out.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:56 am »

I do not have a problem with the flag breaking the horizon, but I do have a problem with the horizon breaking the flag.

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:23 am »

I will echo Rob's idea, which is a good one.

In the same spirit, let me offer another suggestion. Select a grouping of the darker flecks on the beach, again to the left of the flagpole, and bring these out more with some slight local contrast adjustments. Simultaneously darken and de-emphasize the major groups clouds upper right.

This might create a pair of balancing masses, ever so softly so as to not disturb the basic symmetry of the picture.

It's an idea, anyways. I ain't tried it, and it's probably not aligned with your vision at all, either.

Harald L

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:03:52 pm »

I do not have a problem with the flag breaking the horizon, but I do have a problem with the horizon breaking the flag.

I really like your precise comments. It's hard to get the right words but you always hit the nail. I think it's an art of it's own like to describe the taste of wines.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »

Please forgive me for working with your shot, but I do this only as an example of what I think might really push this marvellously broody image, even further - I also realise I will probably reap the wrath of the anti croppers by suggesting this, but hey ho, my skin is becoming armour plated these days. Also if you do not like what I have done here, then please say so and I will immediately remove this reply and this cropped version from the thread - the temp version on my PC, has already been deleted as you read this BTW.

So getting down to what I think, the shot is excellent, and for me invokes a sort of nervous feeling of a totally bleak (weather wise), wind blown isolation. All the elements (excuse the pun) are there already, but to focus the viewers attention even more tightly onto those feelings, I think by cropping it down to what is the absolute barest essentials of the empty and bleak aspect of the shot, really helps to intensify that feeling into the viewer.

So as I say, this is only a suggestion and I am sure some may not agree, but for me, the cropped version certainly gives me a feeling of complete and shivering isolation.

So I don't know if I am allowed to give you a Bravo for my cropped version of your image, but if I can I will - Bravo!

Dave

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:48 am »

Your shot's lovely.

What you might care to try is this: on the lower of the clouds to the left of the pole, create a little highlight, and match it with a smaller one on the bottom of the lowest big cloud on the right.

It would serve to make the clouds contribute to the silver of the horizon instead of just slightly distract as they might do as is, at the same time creating a tiny diagonal dynamic playing counterpooint to the strict horizontal...

It might not work at all, but were it mine I'd certainly try it out.

I will echo Rob's idea, which is a good one.

In the same spirit, let me offer another suggestion. Select a grouping of the darker flecks on the beach, again to the left of the flagpole, and bring these out more with some slight local contrast adjustments. Simultaneously darken and de-emphasize the major groups clouds upper right.

This might create a pair of balancing masses, ever so softly so as to not disturb the basic symmetry of the picture.

It's an idea, anyways. I ain't tried it, and it's probably not aligned with your vision at all, either.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will get back to you on this (bow)

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:54 am »

Please forgive me for working with your shot...

Nothing to forgive (bow)

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 02:25:51 am »

Also if you do not like what I have done here, then please say so and I will immediately remove this reply and this cropped version from the thread - the temp version on my PC, has already been deleted as you read this BTW.

I don't mind.  I believe this is a good exercise.  This is not just for me, but for starting photographers like me, who will read this thread.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:27:40 am by mdg »

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 02:29:49 am »

So getting down to what I think, the shot is excellent, and for me invokes a sort of nervous feeling of a totally bleak (weather wise), wind blown isolation. All the elements (excuse the pun) are there already, but to focus the viewers attention even more tightly onto those feelings, I think by cropping it down to what is the absolute barest essentials of the empty and bleak aspect of the shot, really helps to intensify that feeling into the viewer.

So as I say, this is only a suggestion and I am sure some may not agree, but for me, the cropped version certainly gives me a feeling of complete and shivering isolation.

So I don't know if I am allowed to give you a Bravo for my cropped version of your image, but if I can I will - Bravo!

Bravo!...there :)  I believe your suggestion is very good and it is one way of taking this scene.  Thank you very much.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »

I really like your precise comments. It's hard to get the right words but you always hit the nail. I think it's an art of it's own like to describe the taste of wines.

Harald
+1

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:54:24 am »

I'd hang either one.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 04:54:49 pm »

The image evokes warm memories of romantic and happy times.

How interesting! For me it reminds me (in an oblique way) of a wonderfully illustrated copy of Colin Thiele's "Storm Boy" I had as a kid. I say oblique because although I have not seen the book in several decades, my memory of its majestic scenes is that they are wild places.  The photo here is just the opposite - everything is straight and controlled. For me at least, the tiny flag evokes the attempt by man to tame the dangers of nature.

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:29 am »

How interesting! For me it reminds me (in an oblique way) of a wonderfully illustrated copy of Colin Thiele's "Storm Boy" I had as a kid. I say oblique because although I have not seen the book in several decades, my memory of its majestic scenes is that they are wild places.  The photo here is just the opposite - everything is straight and controlled. For me at least, the tiny flag evokes the attempt by man to tame the dangers of nature.

What an interesting view.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up