Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIPs  (Read 4888 times)

RachelleK

RIPs
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »

I'm thinking of buying PrintFab for the increase in flexibility in using inks. Does anyone have experience with this program? I have been using the demo and have been impressed by the results but I do not have one of their custom profiles which adds other features. PrintFab is about $260. ImagePrint seems to be a lot more powerful but it's about $900 and seems to have many features that I would not use - like layout.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: RIPs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »

I have no experience with PrintFab and I don't know what you mean by more flexibility in using inks. What does it bring to the table that your printer driver doesn't do well? I'd be interested to know. You can do layouts by printing from Lightroom - and you can save them. You may wish to try that workflow before buying RIPs if you are doing standard inkjet printing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:49:59 pm »

I have no experience with PrintFab and I don't know what you mean by more flexibility in using inks. What does it bring to the table that your printer driver doesn't do well?
It, like some other RIPs, allows you to get more use out of inks the driver underutilizes, such as the O and G inks in the Epson 4900/7900/9900. Not a bad thing given the Y is most vulnerable to fading.

PrintFab also bypasses the artficial length limits imposed by the driver on printers like the Epson 3880, which won't print longer than 95 cm through the driver. I don't know if it gets around the borderless limitations on sheet sizes - if a printer can do borderless 8 x 10 inches, then there is no physical reason why it cannot do borderless 8 x 12 inches.

Brian A
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:52:52 am by hugowolf »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:46 am »

Thanks Brian - interesting.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

enduser

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:11:38 pm »

The Demo on PrintFab's site doesn't configure for any Canon large format printers, at least in the Windows version.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:14:23 pm by enduser »
Pages: [1]   Go Up