Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Birthday To You - Copyright Gone Wrong  (Read 1358 times)

nemo295

Happy Birthday To You - Copyright Gone Wrong
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »

I'm all for copyright laws, but sometimes they can go wildly out of control.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/14/news/companies/happy-birthday-lawsuit/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Harald L

Re: Happy Birthday To You - Copyright Gone Wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »

Sometimes I can't puke as much as I wan't to.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:53:46 am »

I think that's ridiculous. I think so because I don't own the copyright.

;-)

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:06:40 am »

For me it's a matter of peace under law. If you have the copyright of anything and you make this obvious and defend it all the time then it's not a problem at all.  But it becomes ridiculous if you don't care for several decades, wait until it becomes part of our daily life and start then to claim your copyright.

Nutty cases like this are more than welcome for those who want to destroy our copyright at all.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

nemo295

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:48:15 am »

No copyright is forever, and certainly 120 years is a ridiculously long time.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:45 pm »

It almost sounds as if the effectiveness of copyright depends on who you know. I'm thinking about what Disney managed to pull of with the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act, also known as the Mickey Mouse Protection Act. It's pretty obvious that the right kind of lobbying works in the crony capitalism arrangement we've managed to perfect since 1932.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »

It almost sounds as if the effectiveness of copyright depends on who you know. I'm thinking about what Disney managed to pull of with the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act, also known as the Mickey Mouse Protection Act. It's pretty obvious that the right kind of lobbying works in the crony capitalism arrangement we've managed to perfect since 1932.

+1  The intent of copyright law was not to protect an income stream from the work in perpetuity.  That is a recent development arising from the corporate ownership of protected works.  What do you think the odds are that the protection period will be extended even more when the extension created by the 1998 act is about to expire?

Harald L

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:43:53 pm »

+1  The intent of copyright law was not to protect an income stream from the work in perpetuity.  That is a recent development arising from the corporate ownership of protected works.  What do you think the odds are that the protection period will be extended even more when the extension created by the 1998 act is about to expire?

Wishful thinking but not reality. Look at Breitkopf & Härtel for instance who are the publishers of the greatest part of Mozarts work...
Glad to be an amateur
Pages: [1]   Go Up