Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS6 printing problems  (Read 1477 times)

skipjack9

CS6 printing problems
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »

I am using a mac pro and recently I upgraded to Mountain Lion from snow leopard. I also upgraded from CS5 to CS6. I am using an Epson 7900 printer. I have a major problem now. When I go into the print dialogue and go into layout to choose a paper type to print on it automatically goes back to the paper type Luster 260 and it will not let me change the paper setting for any other paper. When I choose another paper type and click save and I go back to see if the new paper type has been saved it does not save the chosen paper type and goes back to luster 260. So for now I cannot print on any other paper then luster 260. Occasionally this changes and the system allows me to choose another paper but for the most part I can't. Any suggestions as to what could cause this. I have downloaded and re installed CS6 several times and I have also gone into the hard drive and done a disk repair. I have been consulting with Adobe but so far no fix for this. Has anybody experienced this problem?

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: CS6 printing problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:38:25 pm »

UGGH!  I'd try completely uninstalling the Epson 7900 drivers, rebooting, and installing the drivers again.  Definitely sounds like a driver problem, not a Photoshop problem.  I'd make sure to use the most recent version downloaded from Epson.

If that didn't work, the next thing I'd be doing is backing up all my data, and installing Mountain Lion fresh, reformatting the hard drive in the process.  (This will erase **everything** on it, hence backup everything first!)  There might be another way to fix this, but re-formatting solves so many things.  (Also note I'm a PC guy - There has to be some way to format the drive and install fresh, but I don't know if the Mountain Lion installation itself gives that option, although I'd be surprised if it doesn't.)  You'd also have to re-install all your programs - as re-formatting would remove all of them.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

skipjack9

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:25 pm »

I made a discovery a little while ago. Only some of my saved images have this problem. There are other images where I can choose any paper in the media setting. I just tried a few files and some seem to have this problem and some don't. I have printed these files previously and there seems to be something imbedded in the files that will not let me change the media type to print on. Most of the files are all the same types but some will let me change the media type and others won't. Strange.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:54:06 pm »

I had the same problem, but figured it was an Epson problem. I called Epson and the tech didn't have to think twice about it and walked me through the fix. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was... ::)  but I definitely would stay away from formatting your hard drive, reinstalling the OS and Photoshop, at least until after you talk with Epson unsuccessfully.

In the meantime, a few things that I would suggest... (probably all of which you're doing, but it might be helpful to others reading this)

Open any image in Photoshop. In the print dialog, under Color Management, make sure you have "Photoshop Manages Colors" selected for Color Handling, and your Printer Profile should be the profile for your paper or canvas.

Click on Print Settings above the Color Management box to open the Print dialog window. In that window, make sure your 7900 printer is selected. "Presets" probably is "Default", but whatever it is leave that alone for the moment.

Further down in that window is "Page Setup" and that should be one of the role paper options or sheet paper. Below that is "Media Type" which I presume is where you have selected "Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)". Make sure the other options in that window are as you want them. Then... go back up to "Presets" and select "Save Current Settings as Preset" and name it something appropriate and save it. Then click "Save" at the bottom of the Print dialog window.

Close the image and shut down Photoshop. Open it again and see if the "Presets" setting has been retained. If not... call Epson.

P.S. In the Print dialog window where "Presets" is on the second line, open that drop-down menu and click on "Show Presets...". There will be a short delay, and another dialog window will open. At the bottom of that window is a checkbox "Reset Presets Menu to "Default Settings" After Printing". If it's selected, deselect it.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:05:00 pm by Ken »

skipjack9

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:11:36 pm »

Hello, I did as you suggested and when I click OK for saving the preset the media goes right back to the previous setting. It will not hold the change. I will definitely call epson on monday. Thanks for the heads up. I knew that I couldnt be the only one with this problem, just had to find the right person. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up