Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which camera offers DP2 Merrill image quality but better controls?  (Read 12752 times)

gbillett

Re: Which camera offers DP2 Merrill image quality but better controls?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »

This need to compare the Merrills,  not just here but in most reviews,  with other cameras is slightly weird. It's like people are willing it to be a dslr killer. I dont see it being necessarily a replacement for a dslr but complementary to a dslr and appropriate for certain  roles and functions ( mostly on a tripod ).  I think it is amazing it can do what it can.  I guess when full frame cameras reduce appreciably in price,  and if medium format becomes much more affordable ( unlikely),  the Merrills may not generate the interest they currently do. 

For interest sake Bernard,  all differences aside if that is possible,  at what print size do you see a qualitative difference between the D800 and the Merrill? 

PS the Iridient Raw developer appears ( just downloaded today ) to handle Sigma files.  I have downloaded  a Sigma raw file too and will make a print over the next day or so.
Geoff Billett
www.geoffreybillettphotography.co.uk
www.spanishcivilwarphotography.co.uk

Author From Earth to Air   and Gateway to Nirvana
Photographs from Andalucia and the 2013 Kumbh Mela

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 10:26:59 pm »

For interest sake Bernard,  all differences aside if that is possible,  at what print size do you see a qualitative difference between the D800 and the Merrill? 

I didn't do any rigorous comparison, but I would that A2 is probably the threshold.

But again, resolution is only a part of the story.

Cheers,
Bernard

gbillett

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 11:33:19 am »

Thanks Bernard. Rigorous was not required.  Very helpful.  So the threshold will be even more flexible with my 5d2.  As you say resolution is not everything.
Geoff Billett
www.geoffreybillettphotography.co.uk
www.spanishcivilwarphotography.co.uk

Author From Earth to Air   and Gateway to Nirvana
Photographs from Andalucia and the 2013 Kumbh Mela

billh

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 03:50:59 pm »

I did a quick comparison when the Sigma cameras arrived, between the DP2M, DP3M and D800E. The color balance in some of these leaves something to be desired, and in fact that is my biggest complaint about these great little cameras. I’ll have to try the Tif into LR idea to see if that helps. The D800E Tifs are 200 plus MB, large than the Sigma Tifs, although the RAW files are slightly smaller (if memory serves me correctly). I also tend to accidentally add minus exposure, but other than that (except for issues processing the RAW files), the “issues” people have with the Sigmas don’t bother me much. The Nikon is more versatile, but it is way bigger, and the lenses are also large and heavy (comparatively). For many subjects in good light, I would rather take the Sigma Merrill cameras. That said, I would love to find a smaller camera like the current mirrorless cameras with the image quality of the Sigmas, which would focus on movement (action) like the D3s and D800E cameras. Somewhere I saw a statement from Adobe saying they were working on adding the Sigma Merrill files to LR.

The images you guys posted here are what made me try the DP2 and 3M.

http://holl.smugmug.com/Other-1/Comparison-DP2MD800E/29860089_Zd3m6h

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »

My Nex7 gets more shooting time then my D800E by almost 10:1.
With either Zeiss 21 or 100 macro attached the images are just stunning.
Only negative is that it is a little heavy when using the Novaflex adapter and Zeiss lenses.
My business model is large canvas prints so when I shoot I am already thinking at minimum 24x36 and larger.
The Nex for many has fallen to the wayside since the introduction of the Merrill line as well as a half dozen other new entries but I am keeping mine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:23:43 pm by Dan Berg »

kurisukun

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 11:41:46 pm »

There's a Japanese blogger by the name of Maro that is a very avid user of Sigma cameras, but he also owns a D800.  While he doesn't do any scientific testing, he does take the same picture with each of his cams at many different settings.  I found one link that compares the same scene with the D800, SD1, DP2 Merrill at full resolution.  He actually has many other comparisons such as this one, but you shouldn't expect things to be all equal across the board (prime lens vs prime lens, etc).  Even though, I think this is a very good reference and service that he does for his readers!

Feel free to take a gander here:  http://maros-notebook.txt-nifty.com/notebook/2012/07/nikon-d800-vs-1.html

Naturally, it's all in Japanese, but the captions under the pics should be self-explanatory.  Personally speaking, from looking at the many samples of the D800 vs Foveon samples he has on his site, I think that the D800 can resolve very similar amounts of detail.  What I *do* notice, however is that the Merrills are able to capture fine texture better than the D800.  Things like the gravel on the road, or the texture of roof tiles or bricks.  I'd imagine that this is perhaps a result of Bayer interpolation on areas of similar color but with texture.  The Foveon technology just preserves these texture details more than a Bayer would, I think. 

Btw, full discretion, Im a Canon 5d3 and DP2m user. :)

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »

Interesting comparison.  From the positions of the vehicles in these shots, it appears that the two cameras in each series were placed either side-by-side or one over the other, and triggered at the same time.  We are sure, that way, to get the same lighting in each.  I will enjoy doing a closer inspection later.  Thanks for posting this link.  --Barbara

K.C.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 11:59:41 pm »

...from looking at the many samples of the D800 vs Foveon samples he has on his site, I think that the D800 can resolve very similar amounts of detail.  What I *do* notice, however is that the Merrills are able to capture fine texture better than the D800.  Things like the gravel on the road, or the texture of roof tiles or bricks. 

Which has been the consensus of pretty much everyone who's compared the 2 cameras.

So how is 'detail' different from 'fine texture' ?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:24 am »

So how is 'detail' different from 'fine texture' ?

Resolution versus local contrast. The latter is completely software adjustable.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

K.C.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:36 pm »

Resolution versus local contrast. The latter is completely software adjustable.

Cheers,
Bart

It's a product of resolution that you have fine detail. That detail, detail at any level, can be enhanced by local contrast.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up