Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR5: is there a compelling reason to upgrade from LR4?  (Read 40328 times)

PhotoEcosse

Re: LR5: is there a compelling reason to upgrade from LR4?
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2013, 03:08:57 pm »

...get picky why don't you.

Ooops. The nasties are on the march.

Really, condensing a lot of interesting - if fairly inconsequential - debate into an answer to the original question.................

Some folk have found variety of compelling reasons to upgrade from LR4 to LR5.

Other have not needed a compelling reason and have upgraded anyway.

Some don't feel like upgrading at present but might later on.

Whatever floats your boat, guys. (or any number of equally inane clichés)
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:42 pm »

How about processing an image to match?

With your vast experience, I assume you already know how to do that...matching is easy...getting the best out of an image takes a bit more skill.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:16 pm »

And maybe that's where I find it easier to just use C1 when shooting with Phase.

I also think there is an understanding that you have about the innards of the processing that gives you a faster jump on getting the best from an image. I would adjust and readjust (specifically Balck level vs regionShadows, Contrast vs Clarity, Exposure vs White/jighlight) according to what I see .

I don't know if these different sliders are explained in specific relations to each other...preferably with a sample image or swatches to show what is happening.... in your book?
I hope you can answer beyond a Yes or No. Would be great to hear something like..."There are 4 chapters dedicated to it, and YES I DO explain how they relate and differ, and you can see it in sample A or B etc"

:-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:18 pm »

I don't know if these different sliders are explained in specific relations to each other...preferably with a sample image or swatches to show what is happening.... in your book?
I hope you can answer beyond a Yes or No. Would be great to hear something like..."There are 4 chapters dedicated to it, and YES I DO explain how they relate and differ, and you can see it in sample A or B etc"

:-)

Yes, there's several chapters in my Digital Negative book devoted to using "these different sliders"...and example images for download.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »

I think I might get this book, just to try and prove myself limited from not involving another persons perspective.
Besides, there maybe important things that I might be overlooking. My LR files are very nice, but not as nice/clear, well defined as C1v7.... So this I will try.

I have purchased a couple DVD's from Michael, but that was before I used LR.

Anyone other than the 2 or 3 discussing this, feel free to CHIME IN, and suggest some other sources of information. If you haven't got first hand experience, try to make that clear.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:58:49 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

NancyP

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:04 pm »

It seems that I have a compelling reason not to upgrade immediately - No More Snow Leopard (Mac 10.6.8). So, I have to decide if I feel the urge to install Mountain Lion or whatever the current OS is. I have an older MacBook Pro with only one dual-core processor and 8 G of RAM.

ButchM

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »

If you're willing to spend the time learning it, InDesign knocks spots off the book module.  Infinitely more capable and flexible.

While I love InDesign, and have used it since v1 ... even convinced several local publications to adopt it way back when the folks selling Quark Express were jerking their customers around ... Quite honestly though, ID is overkill for a traditional wedding album, or a senior portrait keepsake book ...

I design books/albums for myself and about six other local photographers ... and if you ever worked on a book in Aperture 3, you would soon see what a pleasure it is to work directly with your RAW image files and not have to be buried in a mountain of exported derivative files so ID can be employed in the process ... Adobe is missing the mark (and a great opportunity) with the Lr Book module spending so much time and effort for a tool that is basically useless if you want to use any vendor other than Blurb ...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up