Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fluid head  (Read 5098 times)

stamper

Fluid head
« on: June 16, 2013, 06:28:48 am »

I am thinking of getting a reasonable priced fluid head for my tripod with which to take movies. I haven't made up my mind as to which one. It will be in the price bracket £150/200 dollar range. What I have at present is the

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/6484/Giottos-MH1300-621-Ball-Head-with-Sliding-Quick-Release-Plate.html

I haven't used a fluid head and was wondering if the above is a reasonable substitute for a fluid head? TIA

MrSmith

Re: Fluid head
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:38:42 am »

No that's not a fluid head. I have just purchased a manfrotto 500ah for shooting moving image and shot with it last week on a 2 day shoot and was more than happy with its performance considering its low price.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:10:58 am »

There really is no such thing as a good inexpensive fluid head for video - you generally get what you pay for.

To look at the huge price range, I would start here

When space and weight are at an absolute premium, I reluctantly use one of these, although operating it is pretty bad and it needs a leveling base to be usable.

If I was buying today, I would likely get a Miller.

Whatever you decide on, try it with your gear and do not buy 'blind'

billy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:01:45 pm »

There really is no such thing as a good inexpensive fluid head for video - you generally get what you pay for.

To look at the huge price range, I would start here

When space and weight are at an absolute premium, I reluctantly use one of these, although operating it is pretty bad and it needs a leveling base to be usable.

If I was buying today, I would likely get a Miller.

Whatever you decide on, try it with your gear and do not buy 'blind'

Hey Chris, I am interested in buying a Miller Tripod and Fluid head for a 5 lb rig. There are so many choices out there and when I spoke to a couple sales reps they both tried to talk me into the most expensive options. Do you have any advice as to which one I should look at? I am trying to spend as least as possible, just getting this set up will be a stretch for me financially so if there is a model or combo that is a great buy I would be happy to know about it.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »

Again you get what you pay for and choice depends on your style of shooting.

For my style of fast-paced 'run & gun' & light-weight travel, I would go with the two stage carbon fibre legs and a Compass 20

There's a useful Philip Bloom video in the Item Demo at the B&H website.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:04 pm »

There are few things more annoying to a camera operator than an under-performing pan head.  A poor one will bite you in the ass over and over again.  A good one will make you look great forever.

Sachtler, O'connor, Cartoni.

fredjeang2

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:21:12 am »

There are few things more annoying to a camera operator than an under-performing pan head.  A poor one will bite you in the ass over and over again.  A good one will make you look great forever.

Sachtler, O'connor, Cartoni.

Don't forget vinten too: bbc, tve choice etc...

I think O'connor is my prefered with vinten.

Petrus

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:28 am »

After a couple of cheap Manfrotto video heads (few hundred bucks/pounds each) I finally bough a Sachtler SFB6. It was the cheapest which actually worked as it should. B&H sells it for $1750 with (wobbly...) sticks. The head alone is $1300. I married the new head with the old Manfrotto legs and the new Sachtler tripod with the sticky Manfrotto head, to be used with a cold cam. Now I have one smooth and steady rig, and one backup made of of rejects.

RFPhotography

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:29:06 pm »

After a couple of cheap Manfrotto video heads (few hundred bucks/pounds each) I finally bough a Sachtler SFB6. It was the cheapest which actually worked as it should. B&H sells it for $1750 with (wobbly...) sticks. The head alone is $1300. I married the new head with the old Manfrotto legs and the new Sachtler tripod with the sticky Manfrotto head, to be used with a cold cam. Now I have one smooth and steady rig, and one backup made of of rejects.

Guess I'm gonna regret the 502HD I just ordered.  Crap!
Pages: [1]   Go Up