Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: automated printing program?  (Read 2122 times)

Robcat

automated printing program?
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »

One of my friends (and LuLa member and fellow iPF 8300 owner) told me he'd heard of a program that you could run that would automatically print a few inches on a roll every day to give the printer a little "exercise" and keep its juices flowing.  Unfortunately, he did not recall the name or other details of said program. Does anyone know of such a program (and that would work with Canon), or is this a matter of wishful thinking only? And yes, I do know I can simply print something small every once in a while, but...
Thanks.
Rob P

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: automated printing program?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:58:29 pm »

Harvey Head Cleaner. Prints the standard test pattern on a schedule you select.

enduser

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »

HHC doesn't support more than 8 ink printers.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:03:29 am »

There are different versions of the HHC software--and it does work with printers with more than eight ink cartridge slots.  (I'm running an old Epson 4800, 9890, and 9900).  You can set the nozzle check to be run on any schedule, day and time---or multiple times per day if that suits your fancy.

ken

Robcat

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:26:39 am »

There are different versions of the HHC software--and it does work with printers with more than eight ink cartridge slots.  (I'm running an old Epson 4800, 9890, and 9900).  You can set the nozzle check to be run on any schedule, day and time---or multiple times per day if that suits your fancy.

ken
Unfortunately, the 8 ink capability of the Harvey program seems to apply only to Epsons. For Canon large format, Harvey's limit is 6 inks, but he does state he will consider a custom build http://www.harveyheadcleaner.com. I presume you were happy with the program (hate to order a custom version of something problematic  :))

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:02:04 am »

Yes---HHC is working well.  I contacted HHC also to check on licensing---good support.  I was told as a single-user, I could use one license to run all my (compatible version) Epson printers.  I have a dedicated laptop that I leave on for HHC for the 9890; I can plug in the other printers as needed, e.g., vacation.  I still think that maintaining consistent humidity levels is the most important thing, at least for the Epson printers.  My thoughts on HHC is that the regular nozzle checks (on printers not being used as frequently) helps keep ink moving a little and keeps the capping station moist.

My humidity zone is 40-60% and tends to hover naturally in the studio at 55-60%.  No problems at all with my printers and HHC, though I think that HHC is more just a little more added thought/convenience on top of monitoring humidity levels which is more important.

ken

Darrel

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 03:02:25 pm »

You could use the LPR DOS command to copy any plotfile you have made to the printer to print.  Windows task scheduler can be used to run the command in a batch file.  I have only tested the LPR command on the 8300, so I have not set this up myself but it should doable with some trail and error.  I would make 2 plotfiles, one with BK and the other MBK black inks so they are both used, and have a test print that uses all the colors equally.

Robcat

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »

Update. Richard at Harvey Head Cleaners let me try a beta of a version he thought might work on my Canon 8300, but, alas, it did not. Apparently wants a different code string to command the print than he thought. Very responsive chap, though. He's going to keep trying.

JeffW

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:37:28 am »

I received a copy of HHC and had no troubles installing or setting up for printing. I am printing on an Epson 4900. My hope now lies in the fact that I can performance daily test print to keep this beast from clogging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up