Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best printer for Fujiflex Super Gloss: Lambda vs Lightjet vs Chromira?  (Read 8382 times)

texshooter

I want to try Fuji's Crystal Archive FUJIFLEX Super Gloss prints and am shopping for a good lab. Does it matter whether the lab uses a Durst Lambda, Lightjet, or Chromira printer? Any lab recommendations?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

As long as the lab knows what they are doing, maintain the equipment, and the Chromira is the more recent one that floats the head on a cushion of air (I have one of these) , the end results would be pretty much identical. Can't really recommend anyone, since I do my own, but the key really isn't the equipment but the lab quality itself.  Hopefully several with chime in with labs they use they feel are good.

The other issue with flex is it's pretty easy to scratch, and difficult to mount smooth.  Many using flex are face  mounting to acrylic or lexan.

texshooter

Many using flex are face  mounting to acrylic or lexan.

Which kind of acrylic do you prefer?

Lexan
Lucite
Perspex
Plexiglas
Acrylite
Optium
Chromaluxe
Makrolon
Tuffak
Altuglas
Optix
Oroglas
Acryglas
Palglas
Pyrex
Polycast
Ultravue
....among a few

Also, some say Peter Lik uses Fujiflex and some say he uses Crystal Archive Pearl. Know which one?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:45:59 pm by texshooter »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Which kind of acrylic do you prefer?

Lexan
Lucite
Perspex
Plexiglas
Acrylite
Optium
Chromaluxe
Makrolon
Tuffak
Altuglas
Optix
Oroglas
Acryglas
Palglas
Pyrex
Polycast
Ultravue
....among a few

Also, some say Peter Lik uses Fujiflex and some say he uses Crystal Archive Pearl. Know which one?

I've used Acrylite, Ultravue,  and I think when we use 1/2", it's Lucite.  the 1/2" stuff is all custom cut and the edges hand polished so it's whatever the supplier is using.  My favorite face mount is ArtGlass, which is amazingly clear, very good at reducing reflections, and is easier to work with than Museum Glass.

Peter Lik uses Fujiflex, as does Rodney Lough.  There is a lot of confusion with Fuji papers because they are all "crystal archive", which refers to the emulsion technology and has nothing to do with the paper base.  But if you have ever seen a Lik sales presentation, and someone asks about an image that isn't hanging in his gallery, the gallery has many of his images available rolled up and stored in tubes that can be quickly placed in a frame and shown in the sales room.  A sales person brought one of those out and let me "look" at it and demonstrated how they did this, and it was definitely flex.  I think some of the sales people just like throwing the word "pearl" in there, I've heard one of his people claim something like "the images look so good because they are made from pearlized silver crystals, suspended in a soft resin which is hardened after the image is created on it."  nearly busted my gut LMAO. 

Personally I've recently switched from FujiFlex to Ilfoflex.  The two are virtually identical, with the Ilford product have a very subtle whiter base but prints compared side by side are indistinguishable.   The Ilford is substantially less expensive, but in my case price isn't a factor unless all other things including quality  are equal, which to me they are.

displayonacrylic

Actually acrylic is also called plexiglass ,lucite ,perspex ,they are the same plastic material ,but just different called name.
For example ,when we talk acrylic displayhttp://www.displayonacrylic.com/product/Acrylic%20Display.html ,it is also perspex display ,plexiglass dispalys,the same products

Kind regards,
Judeon

Ernst Dinkla

Personally I've recently switched from FujiFlex to Ilfoflex.  The two are virtually identical, with the Ilford product have a very subtle whiter base but prints compared side by side are indistinguishable.   The Ilford is substantially less expensive, but in my case price isn't a factor unless all other things including quality  are equal, which to me they are.

That switch did not last long I guess, it is one of the few chromogenic media that Ilford Imaging still produced, the rest is done by Harman that still exists.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

texshooter

I love Fujiflex. It's the glossiest paper I've tried. Unfortunately it is not as sharp as inkjet prints. In fact, I can see more image  detail  with Moab Entrada (a rag paper) than I do Fujiflex ( a chemical paper). Not what I expected, but true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up