Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My journey into MF digital, starting with a P45+ on a Hasselblad 555ELD  (Read 48015 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I got my Hasselblad 555ELD with a P45+ sold by Mr. Rib here on LuLa. I am ver satisfied with what I got.

I started a "blog" describing my experience:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/76-my-medium-format-digital-journey

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm

Congratulations, Erik! I envy you. :)
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Hi,

I got my Hasselblad 555ELD with a P45+ sold by Mr. Rib here on LuLa. I am ver satisfied with what I got.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/76-my-medium-format-digital-journey

Fascinating development Erik, I am sure you will enjoy your new camera.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:02:50 am by BernardLanguillier »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I really do! It works just fine, although I still need some small practical items that were included in the original kit, but not in what I got. Finder masks, front and back covers for camera and so. I'll probably have it all in a few days.

It is actually very nice, not so much different than my Sonys, once it is on a tripod. I of course miss live view for focusing.

Best regards
Erik

Fascinating development Erik, I am sure you will enjoy your new camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

DavidP

• papas.com

I used to have a P25 in V mount it worked fine on an EL body in vertical, there was a sort of hidden or flush fitting alternate release on the other corner to do this. I don't know if they took it off or something. I was alway nervous about doing it in the field.  I have been using a P45+ on another camera system now (V was too hard to focus for me) the P45 is so much better as far as moire hardly ever a problem with it.
Also on the V the older lenses sometimes have sync problems at slow shutter speeds, I think the CFE CFi and CFB lenses are all good to go though. Great system have fun.

theguywitha645d

Welcome to the club.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I need to check out the alternate release. I have mostly CF lenses, only one CB (150/4) and that lens will be replaced with a CF soon enough. But so far everything works for me. I got one of the loupe type viewfinders from Hartblei, and it seems to work.

Best regards
Erik

I used to have a P25 in V mount it worked fine on an EL body in vertical, there was a sort of hidden or flush fitting alternate release on the other corner to do this. I don't know if they took it off or something. I was alway nervous about doing it in the field.  I have been using a P45+ on another camera system now (V was too hard to focus for me) the P45 is so much better as far as moire hardly ever a problem with it.
Also on the V the older lenses sometimes have sync problems at slow shutter speeds, I think the CFE CFi and CFB lenses are all good to go though. Great system have fun.
Erik Kaffehr

tho_mas

Hi,

Best regards
Erik
cool, have fun!

As far as the raw processor goes I'd say the sooner you switch to Capture One (7.1.2) the better.
LR may (or may not) be comparable with C1 in conjunction with more recent P1 backs... but for the old Kodak Sensor backs I feel the Adobe SW is pretty weak with regard to color/look out of the box and also with regard to detail extraction. Especially when you lift the shadows C1 does a better job with your P45+.
When you use C1 do yourself a favour and dial down luminance NR to zero (for ISO50-ISO200) and color NR to around 15-20 (max.) for your P45+ as a camera-preset...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I own C1 but I'm much more familiar with LR. Also for me it is a workflow issue. Regarding color I found the Adobe Standard profile lacking but created a DNG profile with which I am quite happy.

I am looking into C1, but we are no friends so far C1 and I.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

ondebanks

Congratulations, Erik! Great choice of back...as many pixels as you need, and long-exposure favourite.

I read your blog to date...looking forward to seeing more.

Ray

TMARK

cool, have fun!

As far as the raw processor goes I'd say the sooner you switch to Capture One (7.1.2) the better.
LR may (or may not) be comparable with C1 in conjunction with more recent P1 backs... but for the old Kodak Sensor backs I feel the Adobe SW is pretty weak with regard to color/look out of the box and also with regard to detail extraction. Especially when you lift the shadows C1 does a better job with your P45+.
When you use C1 do yourself a favour and dial down luminance NR to zero (for ISO50-ISO200) and color NR to around 15-20 (max.) for your P45+ as a camera-preset...

C1 7.1.2 is revelatory on CCD files.  Its like another stop on usable ISO and no annoying jaggies on CCD files, like you get from LR.  Color is awesome. 

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Thanks a lot for feedback!

Regarding the blog it will take a couple of days until I have anything substantial. I go abroad for a few days without the Hassy. I did some shooting today, but I am not sure about my conclusions. Perhaps I post a little tomorrow.

What I have seen today is that DoF/diffraction can compensate a lot, but you can do some aggressive sharpening to compensate. What I also have seen is that shooting a grey card for white balance makes Sony and P45+ much closer in color, but B45+ has yellowish greens while Sony is more green and subtle. But I don't really want to jump conclusions.

Than there is the question of LR vs C1. I have used LR since 2006 and I'm quite used to it. C1 has a lot of good features, but I think it is much less consistent than Lightroom. A good thing with C1 is that it handles aliasing artifacts somewhat better than LR.

I also try to make raw images available.

Best regards
Erik

Congratulations, Erik! Great choice of back...as many pixels as you need, and long-exposure favourite.

I read your blog to date...looking forward to seeing more.

Ray

Erik Kaffehr

Mr. Rib

Good luck on your MF adventure Erik :)

BernardLanguillier

C1 has a lot of good features, but I think it is much less consistent than Lightroom.

For what it is worth, I personally find C1 Pro to consistently deliver a more pleasing rendering with my D800 files.

I would not hesitate a second if I were to use Phaseone H/W.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Update:

I upgraded to Capture 1 7.1.2 and tested both P45+ Daylight and Flash profiles and they gave identical results.

Hi,

I just posted a preliminary evaluation of color comparing color checker shots, this is for accuracy and not pleasantness.

Little doubt that my Sony Alpha using LR is most accurate (by a wide margin), on P45+ my conversion in LR is somewhat more exact. But I use my own DNG profiles in LR, and have little experience using C1 Pro. Note: I need to update my C1 Pro (I have 7.0).

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/76-my-medium-format-digital-journey?start=4

Outer squares: color rendition of sensor/software, inner squares: reference color without and with brightness correction.

Full size: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/Color/ColorPatches.png

Full size: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/Color/ImatestEvaluation.png

Best regards
Erik

For what it is worth, I personally find C1 Pro to consistently deliver a more pleasing rendering with my D800 files.

I would not hesitate a second if I were to use Phaseone H/W.

Cheers,
Bernard

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:21:14 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions

Hi Erik

I´m glad I could help a bit.  And I´m sure with this equipment you will be able to do many phantastic images.
I really like the P45+, I had one (thanks to Phase/Espen Beck) for nearly 3 years, and still I think I will buy one for myself soon. This is the tractor of MF, rocksolid, long exposures and 39 Mpix is definitely enough for about anything.
The old V-Blad is a classic, the haptics alone are a reason to use one and the Zeiss lenses are fun and not that expensive anymore.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi Stefan,

You helped a lot! The viewfinder loupe is a blessing, too!

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik

I´m glad I could help a bit.  And I´m sure with this equipment you will be able to do many phantastic images.
I really like the P45+, I had one (thanks to Phase/Espen Beck) for nearly 3 years, and still I think I will buy one for myself soon. This is the tractor of MF, rocksolid, long exposures and 39 Mpix is definitely enough for about anything.
The old V-Blad is a classic, the haptics alone are a reason to use one and the Zeiss lenses are fun and not that expensive anymore.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Updates 2013-06-19:

Added some samples with artifacts and how C1 and LR handles them, C1 wins.

Added some discussion and samples of DoF (Depth of Field) and diffraction.

Added a pair of samples clearly showing that my P45+ has less dynamic range (DR) than my Sony Alpha 99, although I don't consider this to be an issue. I seldom find DR limiting.

No significant updates expected for a week!

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:22:35 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

torger

Great that you finally got an MF system :), buying MF digital second hand has never been better, nowadays one can get good gear to "reasonable" prices. I really like the blog too, I enjoy the "no b*llshit" tech tests :).

Hi,

Best regards
Erik

BernardLanguillier

Updates 2013-06-19:
Added a pair of samples clearly showing that my P45+ has less dynamic range (DR) than my Sony Alpha 99, although I don't consider this to be an issue. I seldom find DR limiting.

Are you absolutely, beyond any possible doubt, certain?

Because P45+ users used to claim that the P45+ had several stops more DR than the best DSLR 4 years ago, the D3x, that itself clearly has better DR than your Sony.

Either you or them must be wrong. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up