Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tulip  (Read 1207 times)

amolitor

Tulip
« on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:03 am »

Harald L

Re: Tulip
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:16 am »

Generally I don't like flower-pictures. This one is an rare exception.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:49:49 am »

Lovely PP. Do you need the dark band across the top? I find it distracting.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:58:45 am »

Lovely PP. Do you need the dark band across the top? I find it distracting.

I don't mind the dark top, but it's too wide.  I'd crop it to half that width.
Otherwise, nice image.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:08:47 am »

A fine still life, Andrew. Bravo!

As usual, the croppers are out in full force. As usual, ignore them.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 03:14:27 pm »

Very, very stylish Andrew, I like this shot a lot and agree with Russ that it works perfectly well as it is and does not need any cropping, as there is just enough detail in the top darker area, to keep the image both balanced and interesting.

However being the OC control freak that I am, I would be tempted to do something with the blown out white area middle right, where what appears to be an un-diffused beam of light, is hitting the scene a little too harshly. I would perhaps try re-running the original raw file back through the raw converter and try to claw back a little bit of the detail into that area if at all possible, then overlay that as a new layer and then blend it back into the shot as a masked luminosity layer, yet without radically changing this shot - not a reworking of the shot, but a slight reworking of the blown out part of the middle right of the shot.

My other very slight and overly critical observations, means that I would also be tempted to clone out the very small darkish halo (is it a shadow?) around the top of the topmost petal and the main focus of interest and a couple of the smaller petals to the right. But all this nitpicking aside (and it is nitpicking I will totally admit to that), I think this is a really stylish piece of work, it is well conceived, well processed (other the above caveats of course) and well presented.

So not quite a bravo from me, but with a couple of minor tweaks, then it certainly would be.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:16:57 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 03:18:44 pm »

Actually, I have already clawed what detail I could out of the raw ;) The flower is pretty much all there, but the paper background simply did not survive the experiment. I have actually cloned in a little tiny bit of texture here and there for that area!

Good eye on the halo! I totally missed it. Easy to pull it out, since this is an "enlarger diffusion" effect that lives on a separate layer!

Thanks, everyone. I do realize that there's a great deal of dark at the top, but my personal feeling is that there's enough activity in the frame to carry it, and in fact some quelling influence is necessary.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:40:09 am »

I do realize that there's a great deal of dark at the top, but my personal feeling is that there's enough activity in the frame to carry it, and in fact some quelling influence is necessary.
Coming back to it again, I agree with you. Interesting to hear the other comments too.
a really stylish piece of work
Pages: [1]   Go Up