Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyb. shortcut on german keyboard  (Read 8032 times)

dieter268

Keyb. shortcut on german keyboard
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:09:46 am »

Hello,

In Austria we use the german keyboard layout.
With most of the keyboard shortcuts it is not a problem, but as my little snapshoot camera does not have a orientation sensor I need to rotate them CW or CCW manually quiet often.
Now the keboard shortcut for this in LR is Ctrl. [ resp. Ctrl. ] .
On a german keyboard the [ and ] are on the 3rd level of the keys, means we need to use AltGr 8 for [ and AltGr 9 for ].
But Ctrl AltGr 8 (or 9) does not work as a shortcut for Lightroom. I have also tried Ctrl ü and Ctrl + (which are the keyes at the same physical position as the [ ] on a US-keyboard), with no success.
My workaround now when I need to rotate some more images is to switch to US keyboard in Windows and use Ctrl ü and Ctrl +, but it's not very intuitive.

How is it supposed to used this shortcut on a german keyboard?

Thank you

Dieter

mbaginy

Re: Keyb. shortcut on german keyboard
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:10:08 am »

Dieter,

I agree.  Using shortcuts on a German keyboard can be a paid.  Mine has no bracket keys.  I've though of buying a US keyboard on my next visit but then I'd be missing the Umlaut letters - not to mention, that I've gotten used to the (different) positions of the letters "z" and "y".

I've played around on the keyboard searching for alternative shortcuts but I've also messed up settings more than once that way and spent a great deal of time fixing what I initially didn't know I'd changed.  I've given up on most shortcuts and mainly only use "g" for grid view, "d" for develop and "y" for before & after.

While I enjoy all lula tutorials and Michael's & Jeff's explanations have been a great help (and very interesting and entertaining), most shortcuts they mention don't work for me.  I wonder what it's like to use a Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew,... keyboard?

Mike

dieter268

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:38:17 pm »

Thanks, Mike.
Maybe the best solution will be to switch to English-US keyboard and memorize (or write down) the corresponding keyes on the own keyboard ( ü and + for [ and ] in my example ). Like in the old DOS days when a presed key was read directly and not the character it produced.

For sure on a more (for us) exotic keybord it is much harder, if one may have to replace almost all shortcuts.

Dieter

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:07:14 am »

Lightroom keyboard shortcuts are definitely a problem with non-English keyboards.  Adding to this is the fact that Apple's German keyboards don’t even have standard bracket keys (which are only available with help of the ‘Character Viewer’ via copy&paste).  I also have similar problems with Photoshop.  Like Dieter, the only workaround I’ve found applicable is switching keyboards in the OS (German to English, in my case) before beginning ‘specific’ work in either Lightroom or Photoshop.  I say ‘specific’ because quite truthfully, most of the keyboard shortcuts are usable with both keyboards.  Just a few of them cause problems and - as is so often the case - it is precisely those which we need so often!  In any case, since Adobe is addressing a very international customer base, it would behoove them to offer us a viable solution to this problem in a future update.  Best of luck searching for a better workaround, and

schöne Grüße nach Bonn und Salzburg!

Larry

dieter268

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:28:23 am »

I did some more research in this and a found a "illegal" (means, not by Adobe supported way) to change the keyboard shortcuts.
 http://digital-photography-howto.com/guide-to-customizing-keyboard-shortcuts-in-adobe-photoshop-lightroom/
I took his standard template file and changed the shortcuts for rotating in the library module to "<"  and "Shift+<" (which is > on a german keyboard), so I have a logic way now to rotate the images.
Should work on Macs too, just do a google search for "TranslatedStrings.txt" and it will give plenty of information.

Hope it works well for you as it works for me.

Danke für die Grüße, Larry, Schöne Grüße auch für Dich, hoffe Du hast einen schönen Sonntag!

francois

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:26 am »

…Should work on Macs too, just do a google search for "TranslatedStrings.txt" and it will give plenty of information.

On a Mac, you can easily use keyboard shortcuts (System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts) implemented by the OS. Out of curiosity - I just tried and it works well (running 10.8.4 with LR5).

Edit: see screenshot (redefined rotate shortcuts).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:56:24 am by francois »
Francois

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 01:24:41 pm »

http://members.lightroomqueen.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1157/198/some-of-the-shortcuts-dont-work-with-my-language-version-or-non-english-keyboardcan-i-fix-it  is a method that I used very successfully.  I wanted to be able to change my brush size using my German keyboard.  Now, ö decreases the brush size, and ä increases it.

dieter268

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:54:50 am »

Bryan, yours is the same method as the one I found.
I have found lightroomsueen's site, too, but I prefered to post the other site because of the templates he offers.

Dieter

Pages: [1]   Go Up