Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AGHH!!! EMERGENCY!!!!  (Read 11217 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

AGHH!!! EMERGENCY!!!!
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:02 pm »

Oh my lord!!!  2 days before Father's Day with 3 more prints to go and my printer decides to screw up on me!!  I have a Canon ipf8300.  Printing fine for almost 2yrs.  Right now as I print one of my last projects I get the printout with the entire canvas full of lines and yellow borders on bottom and top of final print.  Restarted printer and computer.  Tried again.  Same thing.  Tried opening up image in lightroom and printing.  This time not the whole thing with lines.  Just from half way to the bottom as you can see in the images.  I'm doing a head cleaning and nozzle check right now.  I dont want to reinstall all the printer stuff.  I usually print with Adobe PS print plugin.  I have PS CS6 64-bit.  Windows 7.  Have printer through USB.  Went to support option for printer software and it continues to tell me cannot communicate with printer.  I unplug and plug in USB cable.  Shows printer appear.  But status monitor won't show printer working.  PLEEEEASE HEEEEELP!!!!

I tried doing a printhead cleaning and towards the end it gave me a hardware error.  I powered off printer and back on again and the two inks that were running low are suddenly showing an X with no more ink available.  Ay yayay
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:13:42 pm by rgvsdigitalpimp »

Pete Berry

Re: AGHH!!! EMERGENCY!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »

First thing I'd do is to replace the USB cable with a new, high quality one, as the Status Monitor seems to be very sensitive and a "canary in the mine" here. Then if still problems, a clean re-installation of driver and associated software w/ latest versions (various updates in the last several months), although the driver and 16-bit printing plugin seem to be very stable in a Windows environment. Generally in the iPFxxxx's, with heads or other hardware issues a printer LCD error message is generated - not always very specific, though.

The Canon LFP wiki at  http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/page/messages/FAQ is a great resource for iPF series printers.

Pete

Justin B

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:17:00 am »

Make sure the firmware is updated too. Had some strange problems fixed by updating my 8400's firmware.
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

enduser

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:37:20 pm »

With iPFs, cleans, nozzle checks, hardware errors - usually means new head time. In fact continuous attempts with a bad head can upset the mother board and a bad mother board can fry a new head.  Best action is to buy a new head and try it.  If it doesn't solve the problem just keep it until you do need it.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »

I don't have anything useful to say, but I feel for you!  Printers can be so annoying, it's a wonder all of us decided to go into business using them.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:25:16 pm »

Thanks for the tips guys.  I ordered the two inks that are out and waiting for those to come in.  I'll install those then run a new head cleaning see if I get any errors after that.  
The Canon rep tells me that heads are usually between $4-500 dollars!  AGH! 

enduser

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 08:31:36 pm »

$389 from China.

Pete Berry

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 12:38:14 pm »

Does this work? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Printhead-Cleaning-Kit-for-Canon-PF-05-iPF6300-iPF6350-iPF8300-CF3872B001AA-New-/221046252420?pt=US_Print_Heads&hash=item3377622384

Has never appeared on the Canon LPP Wiki site AFAIK, and I'd be wary of the product - particularly with it's incredibly garish, unreadable website. Canon bubble-jet heads are fundamentally different from Epson piezo heads in that they are electro-thermally activated, and thus subject to irreveresible burnout eventually. Thus the huge redundancy of nozzles, with auto re-mapping of failed ones.

Over the past six years I've had four failed heads - two under warranty in the first year, and their replacements which lasted five years of moderate usage. Repeated light and deep cleanings after printhead error message never changed the nozzle check prints a whit for any of them. It sounds as if you didn't have a hardware error initially, but only when two inks were out after repeated cleanings. If you still get errors with the replacement carts, then you're in for head(s) replacement if the message was indeed a printhead one.

DON"T try to force printing in spite of head error messages, as with too many shorted-out nozzles there is a real danger of pulling too much current through the controller board and blowing it.

Pete

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:02 pm »

Thanks Pete.  Understood.  I'll post an update when I receive my two replacement inks tomorrow.  I have one more ink that's "Prepare To Replace".  Should I replace that one too before I try to do a cleaning?

Pete Berry

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:28:30 pm »

Thanks Pete.  Understood.  I'll post an update when I receive my two replacement inks tomorrow.  I have one more ink that's "Prepare To Replace".  Should I replace that one too before I try to do a cleaning?

Probably a good idea to replace that one too, and use it up after things normalize. You've done a bunch of cleanings already, and a Canon service rep once told me that if a single cleaning doesn't revert the nozzle check, repeated attempts are just a waste of ink. Did your nozzle check show problems with the empty colors you are replacing? And what was the specific error message?

Pete

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:42 pm »

Well Pete I did a cleaning nozzle check due to the lines coming out on the print.  Well two inks were almost out and I believe because there was not enough ink to push through the lines for the cleaning, that I got a hardware error.  I turned off and on printer and those two inks were totally out.  Shows X's to replace.  I'm PRAYING i got hardware error due to not being enough ink to successfully finish the cleaning process.  I didn't take note of the actual error code but it said to turn off and on printer.  And that if same error appeared, to replace left print head (it was two inks on left side that were out). 

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:47 pm »

Well Pete I got both replacement inks in today.  Replaced them both.  I have a "Prepare to replace" message on Black ink.  I tried to print something and I got this message:
Execute printhead cleaning.  If this message is still displayed, replace Printhead R.  Printing stopped.

Well I went ahead with the printhead cleaning and got hardware error 03800500-2f42.  Turn off and on printer. 

Did that.  Tried sending print job, same original message about running cleaning.  3 inks just replaced and now I'm assuming another $450 printhead?!  Oh brother

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:59 am »

Just confirmed with Canon tech support that is is my right print head out.  PF-05 was part number.  Found it on eBay genuine printhead still sealed brand new for $350 with free shipping.  Not bad

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:33 am »

So I finally got everything squared away.  Inks replaced.  Right print head replaced.  Printed a couple of pictures and went on vacation for a week.  Printer turned off.  Turned it back on right now to print something and before it sent the job it did the whole nozzle check and cleaning.  Almost 10 minutes of waiting while the data light was blinking.  Then got another hardware error.  Said to turn off and on again.  I did that.  Now sending a job and seems to be printing fine.  :: bangs head on desk ::

Pete Berry

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:17 pm »

So I finally got everything squared away.  Inks replaced.  Right print head replaced.  Printed a couple of pictures and went on vacation for a week.  Printer turned off.  Turned it back on right now to print something and before it sent the job it did the whole nozzle check and cleaning.  Almost 10 minutes of waiting while the data light was blinking.  Then got another hardware error.  Said to turn off and on again.  I did that.  Now sending a job and seems to be printing fine.  :: bangs head on desk ::

Well, hopefully it's OK now! Except for very long absences, the recommendation for the iPF family is to leave the printer on to do it's self-maintenance thing.

Pete

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »

That was my next question, Pete.  If i should just set it to stay on all the time.  I had it set like that before but when I did a firmware update, it disabled that.  I'll set it back to stay on all the time. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up