Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which To Buy E-P5 Or OM-D E-M5  (Read 3568 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Which To Buy E-P5 Or OM-D E-M5
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:30:04 pm »

Hi all, I'm a longtime Nikon DSLR shooter looking to add some 4/3 equipment to my stable. My shooting is a combination of landscapes, wildlife, etc.
I realize the P5 is not widely available yet but I'm trying to understand the fundamental differences between to two bodies and their intended uses. Is one generally better for action vs studio work? Any info or opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Re: Which To Buy E-P5 Or OM-D E-M5
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »

One key differentiator for me is whether you want a weathersealed, drip proof camera or not. I bought a Fuji as a backup for my OMD and had dust in the lens and codensation worries within a few weeks. However, keep in mind that there are only a couple lens choices in the current lineup that have equivalent dust and liquid seals.

If that does not matter to you, then I would take a look at the AF performance with older 4/3 lenses. I read that the EP5 has a solution for the slower focussing performance that the EM5 has with legacy glass from Olympus.

For me the built-in EVF and wireless flash control are critical as well. The new add-on EVF looks spectacular though and maybe the EP5 has the same flash functionality as EM5? I havent seen the complete specs yet.

Hope that helps.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:25 am »

I appreciate the 1/8000 (to help taking sunlighted pictures at wide apertures), and the focus peaking in the E-P5. The E-P5 is more beautiful IMO as well, although you probably don't care about this.

The lack of integrated EVF has some advantages: the E-P5 without the EVF is more pocketable, and with the EVF (which has improved with respect to the OM-D's) gives you a tiltable EVF which is quite useful in some circumstances:

The main problem I see in the E-P5 is the astronomical launching price for a new body, not to tell if you add the new EVF.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:33:54 am by Guillermo Luijk »

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:40:11 pm »

Sorry for my bad manners in not answering sooner, my thanks to you both! My main reason for the purchase is an upcoming trip to Ireland but that won't be until this September. I'm fortunate to have a good sized retail dealer in my town who has the OM-D in stock now, and undoubtedly will have the E-P5 when it's released so I'll be able to try shooting with both before deciding.

I hope this isn't seen as being too commercial but the Guys at Milford Photo (Milford, CT) deserve a big shout out, it's really nice to be able to go to a local dealer for most of my photographic needs.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up