Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: joining forum security questions  (Read 26854 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: joining forum security questions
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2013, 10:34:17 am »

if we do need security questions why cant they be simple for real people
A lot of people here think the questions are pretty simple already.
good example is that u have to read an extra  page or two just to find the answer to one particular question...the site/forum owners name....perhaps hes very important and we should already know this
As this information is on page one of the site, how hard is it ?
call me stupid but how many people need to know about square roots these days
When you read through the forums here you're going to discover that there is a lot of highly technical discussion. If understanding about square root functions is too hard for you, this isn't a place you'll be able to contribute very much to, or maybe even learn much from.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 01:16:04 pm »

call me stupid but how many people need to know about square roots these days

Anyone who wants to understand apertures and their relationship to exposure.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2013, 03:19:22 pm »

Anyone who wants to understand apertures and their relationship to exposure.

Jeremy
And thus anyone who wants to understand how the camera works.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2013, 04:39:14 pm »

...call me stupid but how many people need to know about square roots these days
Forget about photography, facility with mathematical principles is becoming more important every day in the wider world.

Tony Jay

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »

Forget about photography, facility with mathematical principles is becoming more important every day in the wider world.

Wrong, ignorance rulez ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2013, 07:33:17 pm »

Is it really? Isn't everything auto nowadays? That said, if  such a simple question is a genuine  problem, are you really going to learn much from this forum or offer much of value to others here?

Tony Jay

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »

Both Bart and John do make a point with a degree of truth.

From a photographic perspective of course one can leave the camera on auto everything but good luck getting worthwhile images.
In many other endevours like driving, automatics may be very usable in general situations, however, in the real world our jobs revolve around problem solving and the reason there is a problem is the that 'automatic' solution has not worked.
Much, perhaps not all though, of the problem solving needs a knowledge of mathematics.

From an educators perspective almost every nation in the world is trying as hard as they can to make mathematics and scientific disciples a priority in primary and secondary education in order to facilitate tertiary education that needs that kind of knowledge and understanding.

None of my tertiary education (biological sciences and medicine) directly prepared me for rigors of the mathematics, physics, and electronics required for photography but I have had no issues understanding the minutiae when required.

BTW the boys that ploughed the airliner short of the runway the other day flying arguably the most technologically advanced airliner in the world today found out that 'auto' everything didn't work for them either.

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2013, 09:21:07 pm »

On another website I visited recently there was a security question that asked: "2+2=?"

I went away to do something else before proceeding, and had to restart when I get back. This time the question was: "1+1=?"

I guess they figured the first question was too hard.

gerald.d

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2013, 07:35:08 am »

Maybe its a good thing they don't ask how to calculate an f-stop from focal length and front element diameter!!  :D

Tony Jay

Trick questions should definitely not be allowed :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2013, 03:45:15 am »

On another website I visited recently there was a security question that asked: "2+2=?"

I went away to do something else before proceeding, and had to restart when I get back. This time the question was: "1+1=?"

I guess they figured the first question was too hard.

The "something else" wouldn't have been research, by any chance? Given that the first question seems to have stumped you, Eric, perhaps they were right.  ;)

Jeremy

KeithPulver

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2013, 11:27:15 am »

The simple answer is because they like to play this little game.

You may have noticed how many "senior" members responded with wisecrack answers - because they were all born 70-years old and intellectual giants; and were never, ever young or foolish! Just ask them. And if you challenge them too hard you will find the "mods" are their pals and they will really work you over.

Basically it is the tyranny of the autonomous keyboard that makes them feel superior...until their wives tell them to "Take out the garbage Herb!!!".....real tough guys.
KHP
The Ox is slow...
But the Earth is patient.

superqaz

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »

The simple answer is because they like to play this little game.

You may have noticed how many "senior" members responded with wisecrack answers - because they were all born 70-years old and intellectual giants; and were never, ever young or foolish! Just ask them. And if you challenge them too hard you will find the "mods" are their pals and they will really work you over.

Basically it is the tyranny of the autonomous keyboard that makes them feel superior...until their wives tell them to "Take out the garbage Herb!!!".....real tough guys.

yeah...know what u mean , ive already been told that i haven't met tough guys yet. wouldn't it be nice to have all the security answers already in ur head instead of having to look for them [even if on the same page] , i swear some site owners make u jump through hoops just to boost their own self importance.

anyway i promised myself that when i got a thinking mans answer to this nonsense i would leave the forum until i had something really good to upset people with. [ha-ha, its amazing how easily some of these suckers take the bait]

bet half of these geniuses don't actually remember how to work out a square root, they were probably all too busy trying to look up the maths teachers skirt [lol]

I'm retiring now

michael

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2013, 05:47:27 pm »

Are you guys for real?

Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2013, 06:02:22 pm »

... Basically it is the tyranny of the autonomous keyboard that makes them feel superior..

Well, genius, I am sure the word you were looking for was anonymous, but apparently the autonomous mind of your keyboard made you mistype it, right?

Rob C

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:25 pm »

Are you guys for real?

Michael

Michael, for their sakes I'd hate to think so!

Sadly, my maths teachers didn't wear skirts: they were all grumpy old men -at least about forty! - with a penchant for cracking us across the knuckles with wooden rules as alternative to throwing chalky, wooden dusters at us. There was a lot of wood in the air in those days; so they did teach me something after all, even if not a lot of mathematics.

;-)

Rob C

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:13 pm »

Maybe its a good thing they don't ask how to calculate an f-stop from focal length and front element diameter!!  :D

Tony Jay

Well, maybe it is because you can't. you need the focal length and entrance pupil diameter.

Tony Jay

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »

Well, maybe it is because you can't. you need the focal length and entrance pupil diameter.
Fair enough - well caught!

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »

Are you guys for real?

Michael
I confess: I am but a figment of my own imagination.

DougJ

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2013, 12:28:27 am »

Pretty much like negative numbers that also can never be observed in real life.  :D

Why did you not go whole hog and suggest imaginary numbers?

Ciao,

Doug

Got this far and haven't had such a good laugh in quite a while. 

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:08 am »

What about the square root of -1?

Regards
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up