Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: joining forum security questions  (Read 26839 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Re: joining forum security questions
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »

I somehow think the poster isn't going to being staying here long after the "kicking" he has received? There are still some "heavyweights" he hasn't encountered that will rough him up even worse if they spot any "weaknesses" in what he posts. ;D

He has thus far submitted eight posts in the three days since he joined: six on this thread and two looking for a free guide to CaptureOne. It may be that in time he'll post photos which will show him to be a first-rate artist; that he will prove to be a fine and perceptive critic; that he will have a good deal to contribute to business discussions; or that he'll provide deep insights into the more technical aspects of digital photography (the odds on the last are perhaps a little long). At present, though, he's like an ill-mannered party guest whose only contribution to the festivities has been to complain about the driveway he had to negotiate in order to reach the house.

Jeremy

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »

Not being a mathematical genius myself I do have some sympathy with the the OP, though I did learn about square roots when quite young.  However in the interests of fairness I just went and asked my wife Nicky if she knew the square root of 16.  Now Nicky is not great in the maths department either, and also still has problems both in switching on the computer and remembering which icon to click to open Lightroom ( I am no joking either), even though she is an accomplished photographer.
But to the question I asked, the answer of "four" came back without a moments hesitation.  So to Supergaz I have to say you really are in a very small minority.

Jim

Bob Brandoff

• digital and film gallery
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »

I'd be the first to say my school system (NYC Board of Education) failed me, and my math skills are substandard.

But- like many others - I was passed along and managed to get a diploma.. and I thought the math question's answer was "4" but I didn't have that warm fuzzy feeling that I was right. So.. I asked the more math-equipped co-workers. Symbiotic relationship- they answer my math questions and I often help them with a multitude of other things. I will say that I (after the Army) went back to school and graduated with a "gentlemanly" cumulative index of 3.3 out of 4.0, but I had to *pay* for the correct schooling.

Anyway.. I'm here.

Bob Brandoff

• digital and film gallery
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 02:22:53 pm »

Oh, no!

On the other hand, I am sure he would move to greener pastures. For example, Norman Koren's green paragraphs ;)

ACK! My head was gonna explode like in the movie "Scanners"

http://youtu.be/HY-03vYYAjA

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »

A security question about Ken Rockwell could proof very useful… just say'n
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rocco Penny

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »

that's nothing-
back when I joined, I had sat and read through hundreds and hundreds of posts concerning how I might approach printing from the standpoint of a giddy schoolkid-
I canvassed the forum's leadership to let me join,
I imagined there was a certain level one might be aware of and copacetic with-
like you know, when there is somethng you just wish you could see, you think you're ready, you prepare and imagine, then you see - it is no different than not seeing,
just like attitude,
bad is enough like good to confuse the two,
or manners,
if you have them or if you don't
who cares?
putz

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »

We were born with a wide range of abilities, endured a wide range of upbringings, and had access to a variety of educational opportunities. Photographic and otherwise.

stamper

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 03:42:56 am »

BTW, what is a square root? :-[

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 04:27:14 am »

What you get if you let a dandelion grow between paving slabs.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 04:41:54 am »

Since you asked; The square root of a number is the root number which, when multiplied by itself, produces the squared number:
and in a bit more detail (including the answer to the question that posed such a challenge to the OP).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bernhardAS

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 04:52:39 am »

A square root is the opposite from a round root!

While round roots can be found in nature and supermarkets, square roots only exist as a theoretical construct in mathematics.

Pretty much like negative numbers that also can never be observed in real life.  :D

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 06:27:26 am »

A square root is the opposite from a round root!

While round roots can be found in nature and supermarkets, square roots only exist as a theoretical construct in mathematics.

Pretty much like negative numbers that also can never be observed in real life.  :D

Oh yes they can: they are simply disguised as two negatives. As with so much in life, you only need to know where to look.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 10:53:16 am »

... (including the answer to the question that posed such a challenge to the OP).

Oh, no, Bart!

You just let millions of barbarians through the gate! ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:02:38 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »

He could of been the most inspiring photographer this site has seen.  Maybe he is idiot savant who can recite from memory the great works of literature.  I once heard that either Watson or Crick, the founders of the molecular structure of DNA, had trouble getting the base pairs right when interviewed.  Or maybe we have taken out of context what he was asking.  He may of been a mathematician that was a professor at Stanford who was trying to ask: Why has security resorted to asking random questions. Maybe Michael should hand out a standardized test for people to pass before visiting this site.That way we can all live comfortably in our gated community.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:08:20 pm by HSakols »

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 02:53:01 pm »

He could of been the most inspiring photographer this site has seen.  Maybe he is idiot savant who can recite from memory the great works of literature.  I once heard that either Watson or Crick, the founders of the molecular structure of DNA, had trouble getting the base pairs right when interviewed.  Or maybe we have taken out of context what he was asking.  He may of been a mathematician that was a professor at Stanford who was trying to ask: Why has security resorted to asking random questions. Maybe Michael should hand out a standardized test for people to pass before visiting this site.That way we can all live comfortably in our gated community.  

Maybe, maybe. It wasn't the fact that he was questioning why the site forum needed to ask the random questions, it was making such a big deal out of the particular question involved.  I suppose the administrator tried to think of some pretty simple questions that anyone in any country might understand and be able to answer.  Could have asked what the capital city of the USA is called - but you can bet a lot of people around the world would answer New York.  How simple does it have to be?  After all, we are by the very act of getting involved in a technical subject like photography and wishing to post on a forum, showing that we have some small level of intellect.  Or is it just me? ;D  (small being the key word)

Have the questions seriously put off anyone from joining?

Jim
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:55:23 pm by Jim Pascoe »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »

... Could have asked what the capital city of the USA is called - but you can bet a lot of people around the world would answer New York...

Ha! I think you got that one reversed. Most people around the world have knowledge of world geography about an order of magnitude better than most people "around the good, old USA." This, of course, excludes members of this esteemed forum (or so I hope). An astonishing percent of Americans can't even show on the map of the world where USA is, according to National Geographic surveys.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 03:31:07 pm »

... in a bit more detail ...

Bart, thanks for the link. I never would have thought to look up "square root". Because I thought I knew all there is to know about square roots, up to now I've missed this delightful fact: "Square roots of positive whole numbers that are not perfect squares are always irrational numbers". My mind is reeling trying to figure out why that is so. And, yes, I read the proof, but somehow I'm having a hard time getting it from my head to my gut.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:41:26 pm by Jim Kasson »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »

Oh, no, Bart!

You just let millions of barbarians through the gate! ;)

Nah, I just saved the planet a bit of carbon footprint by people not having to waste battery power on all those calculators ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AFairley

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 07:54:05 pm »

All I can say is that I'm glad bots like me signed up before the security got beefed up.   :D  (The more sensitive will have noticed that all my posts contain subliminal advertising messages.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:01:00 pm by AFairley »

superqaz

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2013, 10:23:03 am »

it seems we are missing some thing: why should there be a bunch of silly security questions in the first place, other forums and sites that ive seen have much simpler solution's which seem to be sufficient, and if we do need security questions why cant they be simple for real people but too hard for bots.? will i ever see an answer to this question, probably not, cause there isn't a good one....

good example is that u have to read an extra  page or two just to find the answer to one particular question...the site/forum owners name....perhaps hes very important and we should already know this

but really, don't worry, im only here so certain folks can accuse me of being "ill mannered on the driveway" and take aggressive swipes at me for not living up to their mathematical prowess.

call me stupid but how many people need to know about square roots these days
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up