Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: joining forum security questions  (Read 26863 times)

superqaz

joining forum security questions
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:27 am »

just joined and was very unhappy and a bit pissed off to have to spend half an hour phoning round to get the square root of 16. [a security question]  I'd like to ask what exactly is going on as ive Never seen such a weird security procedure to prevent spam etc

are the other four questions necessary too?. ive seen sites with perfectly effective and simple solutions to this problem. i suspect that the person who has put all this in place is having a bit fun with the very people who he relies on to make an active forum or he simply has not enough understanding of the security issue and how to deal with it

. i haven't looked yet but i suspect that because of this nonsense the forum will not be under used, which is a shame because it could be very useful ???

would like to hear what people think [before this gets deleted]

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: joining forum security questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:16 am »

Are you smarter than a fifth grader? Then no problem ;)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:40:12 am »

Must be a new thing since I joined - but did you really need to phone round to get the square root of 16?  Your post seems to indicate a degree of literacy and I would not have thought it too technical a question.

Jim

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:14 am »

This thread won't be deleted.
There is no issue here (with the security questions, that is).

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:52:01 am »

These government guys are everywhere!

;-)

Rob C

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:49:56 am »

There is no issue here (with the security questions, that is).

Only if the answer isn't posted here! ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:03:38 am »

Maybe its a good thing they don't ask how to calculate an f-stop from focal length and front element diameter!!  :D

Tony Jay

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:43:55 am »

I rather applaud questions like that, if the responder has that little basic education and cannot even do a quick google search which will give the answer in seconds, perhaps LL is better off without them?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:56 am »

Perhaps that highly technical question should be replaced with this one:

Q:   What's the difference between a duck?

A:   One of its feet are both the same.

::)

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Oldfox

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:27 am »

Wrong answer!

Here is the right one: "It swims better than flies".

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:59:38 am »

A lot better solution than "captchas" if you ask me.  (but you didn't)

A better question would be "What gives the most depth of field?  A 20mm Samyang lens on a micro four thirds Panasonic camera focused at 2.6 meters shooting an in-studio black and white portrait with multiple flash or an 85mm Simplicon lens on a pre-war Leica rangefinder focused at 8.2 meters shooting an available light landscape in Eastern Germany?  Of course this assumes that both lenses are used at f8.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:17:30 am »

A lot better solution than "captchas" if you ask me.  (but you didn't)

A better question would be "What gives the most depth of field?  A 20mm Samyang lens on a micro four thirds Panasonic camera focused at 2.6 meters shooting an in-studio black and white portrait with multiple flash or an 85mm Simplicon lens on a pre-war Leica rangefinder focused at 8.2 meters shooting an available light landscape in Eastern Germany?  Of course this assumes that both lenses are used at f8.

Fiirst, Peter, you'd have to know if it was an East German Leica. Only then could you apply the maths with any hope of finding the right temperature... then. of course, there's the little problem of converting from Centigrade to Fahrenheit and understanding the impossibiloty of doing it the other way around.

Best sticking with the original shibboleth.

Rob C

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 12:05:40 pm »

No offense, but the square root of 16 is something one learns at a very young age and seems a perfectly appropriate question to distinguish a real person from some automated system. If you forgot then you can figure it out in a second or two. And if you can't figure it out, Google provides the answer in a New York second.  It's sort of like having to "phone around" to find out 1 + 1.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 02:32:06 pm »

In my highly scientific test, both Bing and Google were able to provide virtually instant answers to both "square root of 16" and "1+1."

In neither does the person inquiring need to have any understanding of the meaning of "square root" or of "+."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:33:39 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »

superqaz

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 05:35:42 pm »

No offense, but the square root of 16 is something one learns at a very young age and seems a perfectly appropriate question to distinguish a real person from some automated system. If you forgot then you can figure it out in a second or two. And if you can't figure it out, Google provides the answer in a New York second.  It's sort of like having to "phone around" to find out 1 + 1.

wow, so many sensible suggestions, and some great test questions that could fool any old spam bot, or automated spam software.

surely it would better to use one of these that any simpleton like me could answer. and yes i did have to phone round my simpleton friends, some of whom were also deprived of an education in higher mathematics at a very young age, but never mind, it only took three calls.... one not in, one with no idea and one damn genius.

never occurred to me to ask the Google. and as far as im concerned 1 and 1 make 11, that's far as i go with mathematics  :)

but anyway, the question is: why cant a simple yet effective solution be used that accommodates people who are not educated to your standards ....or are we all going to be clones....well?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:50:04 pm by superqaz »

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:16 pm »

wow, so many sensible suggestions, and some great test questions that could fool any old spam bot, or automated spam software.

surely it would better to use one of these that any simpleton like me could answer. and yes i did have to phone round my simpleton friends, some of whom were also deprived of an education in higher mathematics at a very young age, but never mind, it only took three calls.... one not in, one with no idea and one damn genius.

never occurred to me to ask the Google. and as far as im concerned 1 and 1 make 11, that's far as i go with mathematics  :)

but anyway, the question is: why cant a simple yet effective solution be used that accommodates people who are not educated to your standards ....or are we all going to be clones....well?

And they do, as long as you are a Roman.

;-)

Rob C

superqaz

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 05:56:33 pm »

indeed, Rob

and everyone these days knows what its like using the interweb ...u just want it to be quick like that New York second, that means that answers to security questions are already in your head and not on the next page like this forum inventors last name [that was another answer u had to look for.] I just don't think he gets it even if i am out on a limb here, or perhaps I'm completely wrong and I need to go to the pub till this is all sorted
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:07:39 pm by superqaz »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 06:00:28 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »

I didn't ask Google, I just typed "If I can't work out the square root of 16, I'm going to nuke Texas", and some bloke from the NSA phoned me with the answer. How he knew I will never understand. Oh wait ...

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »

I didn't ask Google, I just typed "If I can't work out the square root of 16, I'm going to nuke Texas", and some bloke from the NSA phoned me with the answer. How he knew I will never understand. Oh wait ...
;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up