Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from Mac OSX 10.6.8  (Read 4311 times)

pflower

Upgrading from Mac OSX 10.6.8
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:38:48 am »

All my computers are running happily on 10.6.8.  However Lightroom 5 now requires at least 10.7 so I am beginning to consider the possibility of upgrading to 10.8.

I am particularly concerned about whether the following will run happily:

1.  Drivers for my Epson 3880 and 3800 which have had problems in the past.
2.  Adobe CS5.  I need absolutely no more than this and don't want or need to upgrade.

Anyone had any experience in the upgrade and can offer any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

francois

Re: Upgrading from Mac OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:40:09 am »

All my computers are running happily on 10.6.8.  However Lightroom 5 now requires at least 10.7 so I am beginning to consider the possibility of upgrading to 10.8.

I am particularly concerned about whether the following will run happily:

1.  Drivers for my Epson 3880 and 3800 which have had problems in the past.
2.  Adobe CS5.  I need absolutely no more than this and don't want or need to upgrade.

Anyone had any experience in the upgrade and can offer any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

1. I can say that I had no problem with Epson's drivers for my 3800. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Epson website.
2. I run CS6 without any problem so far but one of my customer is running CS5 on his Mac Pro with 10.8.4.

In your case, I would clone the startup disk on an external drive. Then restart your Mac on this external drive and upgrade to OS X 10.8. This way, you could test drive LR5 + OS X 10.8 without taking to much risk. Once you're confident that your setup works fine, you can perform the upgrade on your original drive.
Francois

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »

If you have any older software that is PPC based that requires Rosetta to run on the MacIntels, that applications will not longer run. If you do have any that you need to be able to use, I second the suggestions of a cloned boot drive but I would make the external drive a clone of 10.6.8 so you can still boot from that if you need to run and PPC apps.

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:10 pm »

You need to check if you can do such upgrade (OS)
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP654

Best regards,
DF

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:54:14 pm »

You need to check if you can do such upgrade (OS)
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP654

Indeed, I was considering upgrading my Mac Pro 2,1 to 10.8 for another piece of software not supported on 10.6, but this is not officially supported because of the 32 bits kernel.

I did upgrade my mac mini and cannot say I found anything useful/that I liked in 10.8 compared to 10.6.8. It goes downhill if productivity is key.

Cheers,
Bernard

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:07:41 am »

CS5 runs fine on Mountain Lion (10.8.4) for me...  The last Rosetta app I depended on was Xrite's Eye-One, I'm now running Argyll for color management - works fine

pflower

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »

Thanks for all of that.  Interfering with something that works is something that always fills me with dread since nothing is broken, but I think I will buy a new 2tb external drive, clone that and then upgrade the cloned drive.  If that works happily I will then re-clone it back to the internal drive.  I already have a 750gb external drive from which I can boot into 10.6.8.  Here's hoping. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

Some early iMacs can run Lion but not Mountain Lion. I have one of those, from 2006, a white one, model iMac5,1, I believe. The Apple support page gives the details, but I suspect the download process would alert you anyway.
--
Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up