Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR 8 Update Changed my Settings  (Read 1013 times)

Philip Weber

ACR 8 Update Changed my Settings
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:22 pm »

My memory didn't hold up when I updated ACR the other day and I ended up ingesting a few dozen images in 8-bit & Adobe RGB (apparently Adobe's default) instead of the usual 16-bit Pro Photo RGB I normally work in. I didn't notice until I saw my final images were smaller than normal, in the 40-70mb range (my flattened TIFF files normally run 150-275mb each, as I shoot with a D800).

They are not critical images and they appear to have come out fine (I didn't see any banding or other breakdowns) but I'm wondering if changing them back to 16-bit at this point helps anything, or should I just leave them as is.

I realize I should have remembered this but it still hacks me off that the update scrambles one's settings. There may be some programming reason why it can't but Adobe does very well at remembering everything when doing something bigger like the LR 4.4 to 5.0 upgrade I did yesterday.

Anyway, lesson learned and I'd appreciate any technical advice on the what to do, if anything, with the files now. With these, if there was no harm done, I guess I at least saved on some hard drive space.

Thanks!
Phil

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: ACR 8 Update Changed my Settings
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »

Changing back to 16-bit buys nothing.

The metadata instructions should all be saved and valid, you could re-render after updating the workflow options in ACR.

Or just keep them as is.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Philip Weber

Re: ACR 8 Update Changed my Settings
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »

Thanks, that's about what I thought.

No harm, no foul I guess!

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up