Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery of Valves  (Read 3089 times)

Harald L

Re: Battery of Valves
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »

I always check ahead to find a source of rental semtex before I go on a trip, so I don't have to take it through airport security.   ;)

Be careful. Another one post like this and LuLa will be subject of special care... :-\

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 03:50:28 am »

Russ points up a very convincing argument, but I would (and do) have a problem with following that path: I've never felt prescient enough about which bits are going to be of visual value amd which not.

Garry Winogrand's dictum sounds good, but if reports are to be believed, then he failed miserably in that quest: he's supposed to have left thousands of undeveloped films lying untouched in drawers, so he never did get to see how those things looked as photographs. It strikes me more as an unreasoned obsession, a need to be interacting with strangers in order to prove the existence of self. It's not enough to say I think, therefore I am. That might have been proof sufficient when it was first postulated so long ago, but today, with so much media, it might all be illusion after all. Oh Matrix, what seeds you bore. You are now Internet.

As for myself and why I shoot what I shoot these days - I guess it's to fulfil something similar but a step further down the path than Garry's. I know that I exist at a self-convincing enough level not to worry about that, but I do worry about what to do with that existence. As commerce is long gone, all I can really do to maintain the momentum and a sense of inner equilibrium is to react to shapes that, where they were once created, are now found. In other words, as the fuel for the model fires has run out, I burn what I find around me instead. The heat keeps me warm, the mind busy and demons don't come to say hello, smiling and blowing their whistles. It's all reaction now, rather than proactivity, and that makes it far more difficult to get anywhere.

Rob C

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:48 am »

"Komm, heilige Melancholie..."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up