Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iOS7 Design Butt-Ugly  (Read 12182 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
iOS7 Design Butt-Ugly
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:41:52 pm »

It looks like a kids phone, you know, those plastic toys. Even worse, it looks like a cheap kids phone, the one with a photo sticker glued to the surface.

Gone is the three-dimensionality of icons, subtle shading and lighting, things that made an iPhone an iPhone and a pleasure to look at and use. The new design looks like the worst industrial design blunder since Zune, approaching Window 8 in ugliness.

My teenage daughter said she feels like crying (I know, I know... first-world problems ;)) If there are no earth-shattering improvements in functionality, I think I am going to stick with the previous version.

Good job, Apple! Screwing up the very thing that made you stand out.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:16:39 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Harald L

Re: iOS7 Design Butt-Ugly
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »

There's a simple solution for this problem

Glad to be an amateur

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »

Doubtless it will flow through to the iPad as well.

Why don't corporate honchos know when to stop with the fiddling?

Look at Flickr as an example, too.

W

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:07:08 pm »

Doubtless it will flow through to the iPad as well...

Looks like I will be saved from the disaster. Since I still have "extremely old" devices (iPhone 3GS and iPad 1), I will be spared the horror of upgrading to iOS7 ;)

Photo Op

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »

........I will be spared the horror of upgrading to iOS7 ;)

Feel better now?
David

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:45:09 am »

Looks like I will be saved from the disaster. Since I still have "extremely old" devices (iPhone 3GS and iPad 1), I will be spared the horror of upgrading to iOS7 ;)

As a photographer that skips every other version, you weren't considered a customer anyway.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:43:11 am »

Seeing this coming for many years, I have avoided the disaster altogether.  My phone is just smart enough to ring when someone calls, to call someone when I dial; we say 'allo (we're in Russia), we talk, we hang up, the phone shuts off; end of story.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:33 am »

Seeing this coming for many years, I have avoided the disaster altogether.  My phone is just smart enough to ring when someone calls, to call someone when I dial; we say 'allo (we're in Russia), we talk, we hang up, the phone shuts off; end of story.

Oh paradise! In my country that would just be the start of a very long story which usually involves some kind of envelope with a letter containing a lot of numbers preceded by signs of chosen denomination generally associated with a bankaccount and the large discrepancy between the former numbers and the ones generally found on the latter.
Regards,
~ O ~

RFPhotography

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:06:42 am »

Skeuomorphism vs flat design.  Skeuomorphs are out, flat design is in.  And all Apple products are toys.  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:49 pm »

Looks like I am not alone:

Bad news for Apple: The iOS 7 backlash has begun

From the article:

"ugly," "harsh" and "blinding."
confusing and inconsistent.
home screen icons look ugly, poorly balanced, and of an unattractive color (palette)
iOS 7 got its color palette "from a Pantone fire sale " and the user interface was hit with a "ugly stick ."
"cheap," "childish" and "designed by Fisher Price."
"It's like I'm looking at the poop of a unicorn that had diarrhea from eating too many Skittles,"
etc., etc., etc.,

Apparently...

The backlash against the new iOS is picking up steam with Tumblr blogs being created to criticize it. One blog, Designers Complaining, has compiled Twitter complaints about iOS 7, many of which are quite funny. Another Tumblr blog called Jony Ive Redesigns Things parodies iOS 7 by showing what other things would look like with the new motif, created by Apple's design chief.

The second blog above, Jony Ive Redesigns Things is funny and worth visiting.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:12 pm »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »

Helps explain why Samsung is eating their lunch. "No sweat," exclaims the head of the design group. "I've put a guard on the lunchroom."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »

If the next step is to put bean-counters in charge of the design, I would short Apple stock ;D

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 12:36:44 pm »

...I would short Apple stock ;D

As a new iPad user (I love it ) and a long-time Android user ( I love it, too)  I agree with Slobodan.  Google's massive data library and delivery infrastructure (data centers everywhere) will enable it to swamp Apple's offerings in the future.

I watched the keynote speech and it appeared to me to be more of a religious meeting than a technical briefing.

RFPhotography

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »

I watched the keynote speech and it appeared to me to be more of a religious meeting than a technical briefing.

That's what all meetings of the Jobsian Cult are like.

Maybe Apple's implementation of flat design is bad.  I don't know I'm, happily, not an Apple user.  But I do take great delight in seeing this company get its comeuppance. 

A.B.A. - Anything But Apple.  ;D

RawheaD

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »

Except, every single time, and I mean this, EVERY SINGLE TIME Apple introduces something utterly new, whether it be software (original OSX) or hardware (first iMac, first iPod, first iPhone, first iPad), they have gotten slammed by a portion of the media & the interweb experts, and every single time, they have been predicted to fail, badly.

And pretty much about every single time, Apple proved them wrong.

Now, not to brag, but I have a near 100% track record when it comes to predicting how well a newly introduced Apple product would score (this is pretty easy to do; just bet *for* Apple rather than *against* them most of the time :D).

And my prediction is that iOS7 is going to be extremely successful :P

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »

… they have gotten slammed by a portion of the media & the interweb experts

But the intriguing difference this time is that the media & internuts experts where relatively positive, while the design crowd (traditionally Apple's most vocal fanboys and userdemographic) are now speaking out a rather audible (and quite frankly justified) disgust. And given all the marketing material already published on the Apple site, I also fail to understand the statements about iOS7 design still being a work in progress.

I did run the iOS7 beta very shortly, but had to stop because it is literally physically discomforting.

Regards,
~ O ~

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 03:03:10 pm »

I'm going to wait until I try it and until then, hold my judgement. My only initial concern is the use of helvetica neue light and viewing that thin font on angles, but really...if I don't like it I'll get an android.

There are bigger fish to fry in life.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 04:35:48 am »

I don't speak American. If the word means what I believe it to mean, however, aren't some (people's) butts commonly regarded as rather appealing?

I do think RawheaD has a point. History suggests that Apple's getting severely criticised for something new and that new thing failing are not closely correlated.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 11:17:16 am »

I don't speak American. If the word means what I believe it to mean, however, aren't some (people's) butts commonly regarded as rather appealing?...

Jeremy, since you do not speak American (I presume you speak European?), I will have to explain it to you... visually:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up