Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A comment about LR5's Upright tool - not perfect but very useful  (Read 3116 times)

AFairley

Since I shoot in an urban area, most of my OOC images exhibit keystoning, some very severely.  This has meant that, except for the obvious clunkers or keepers, I have had to go through the images one by one after import and do a quick and dirty manual keystoning adjustment in order to be able to get a sense of whether a particular image is worth pursuing further.  

Last night I installed LR5 and tried including the Vertical upright tool in my import preset, and it works like a charm, all the images automatically get a keystoning fix and crop to bounds that makes the initial review process a LOT faster.  The tool does not work perfectly, and in fact, none of the images are corrected properly -- on any image I was going to print I would remove the auto adjustment and do a from scratch manual correction -- but it is certainly good enough for initial review.  That alone makes the upgrade a crazy bargain for me.

Final verdict - tool does not work accurately enough for "destined for the wall" corrections, but is close enough to really streamline initial image reivew.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:04:53 pm by AFairley »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: A comment about LR5's Upright tool - not perfect but very useful
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »

I agree. I wish there were some way to tweak the parameters, and not have it always be making all the decisions.

Jim

aduke

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:57:04 pm »

Actually you can. The manual controls from LR4 are still active after you've used the upright feature.

Alan

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

Actually you can. The manual controls from LR4 are still active after you've used the upright feature.

Alan

Yes, one can still use the manual controls after having applied the auto upright feature. Here are two tutorials that I found helpful (look for the Upright tutorials in each link). Be sure to note the addition of the new Aspect tool which can correct for the lengthening of the height of key stoned buildings.

Julianne Kost
Laura Shoe

Bill

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:24:36 pm »

Yes, one can still use the manual controls after having applied the auto upright feature. Here are two tutorials that I found helpful (look for the Upright tutorials in each link). Be sure to note the addition of the new Aspect tool which can correct for the lengthening of the height of key stoned buildings.

Julianne Kost
Laura Shoe

Bill

Though if you are going to do that, I think it's best to undo the auto upright and start from scratch with nothing having been done in the background, it's not really any more work.  I'm not sure the interaction of the leveling and the vertical  changes of the auto controls is the same as that between the manual vertical and rotation controls based on what I've seen.  BTW, the Kost tutorial a really good intro to the tool (but then, I am a Julianne fan anyway).
Pages: [1]   Go Up