Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best photo printer for photographers  (Read 3742 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Best photo printer for photographers
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:00:15 am »

Hey guys.  I want to kind of expand my business options as far as printing for photographers.  I thought I'd have more business for canvas prints from photographers but I was wrong.  Every once in a while they order.  Most of the time they order prints that they sell to the customer.  Mostly from mpix and other online retailers.  I want a piece of that market here in my area.  No one specializes in printing for photographers on lusters, metallics, and other types of papers.  I have my ipf8300 but HATE printing on roll paper and having to un-curl it and such.  I want a single sheet printer that's maybe 11x17 or so.  What's the best printer for this option?  What do the majority of you photographers use to print your photo's?  I saw a print from a photographer that they ordered off of mpix pro and the back of it says FUJI FILM paper.  Are they using a photo lab printer for these prints?

TSJ1927

Re: Best photo printer for photographers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:41 am »

How about an IPF8300.  You have a perfect printer. Learn proper ways to de-curl.  It is a fine sheet-fed printer and just a little slower than loading an Epson.  Roll stock is more efficient.  If you will be printing for photographers, what size sheet will you use when ask to produce an 11x18 with 2" border or say a 15x22 borderless or a panorama at 10x20 with a 2" border.  Lots of waste at media sheet prices.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:37:17 am »

I got an Epson 3800 several years ago, and use it for all my printing. It's cut-sheet only, maximum 17 inches wide. I print my portfolio, gift prints, and some client prints on it, along with lots of cards. It can print a 4x6 and also fairly small cards, unlike some larger printers. Best of all, it can handle sitting unused for longish periods of time without clogs.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:14:55 pm »

TS ... makes sense. I guess I'll just research de-curling methods. Thanks

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:28 pm »

TS ... makes sense. I guess I'll just research de-curling methods. Thanks

DIY suggestion...

Get a shipping tube wide enough for the paper you use.  Also get a large plastic wall calendar.  Tape calendar to tube.  You now have a deroller.
John

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »

Thanks JRS. I just noticed I have a 44" empty roll of breathing color's canvas which has a foam type layer covering over the core. Feels kind of like a sponge material. I think that might be soft enough to roll the print reverse on with the face of the print touching the foam. I'll see how that goes

jrsforums

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:24:50 pm »

It may not be necessary, but I found the plastic sheet (calendar) help doing the reverse rolling....particularly to avoid touching the printed surface.
John

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:51:10 pm »

Hey Jrs, when you print photo's on paper, do you coat them as well?  With a laminate?  Spray or roll?  I was printing on BC's Glossy Photo Paper and if I didn't coat one little touch with your finger and the image has a HUGE print on it. 

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 12:40:52 am »

Hey Jrs, when you print photo's on paper, do you coat them as well?  With a laminate?  Spray or roll?  I was printing on BC's Glossy Photo Paper and if I didn't coat one little touch with your finger and the image has a HUGE print on it. 

That is a different subject...but fingerprints and scuffs are why I like the calender sheet to do the derolling.

For prints that will be lightly handled, from glossy to matte, I will usually use PA PrintShield for just a littleprotection..  Framed prints...just be careful until behind the glass.
John

Justin B

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:49:53 am »

I have my ipf8300 but HATE printing on roll paper and having to un-curl it and such.

The 8300 is a great printer. Get a D Roller to remove paper curl.

I want a single sheet printer that's maybe 11x17 or so.  What's the best printer for this option?

Epson 3880s are great 17" printers and are real workhorses. It has given me virtually zero troubles thus far.
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color
Pages: [1]   Go Up