Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 & 5 Catalog campatibility  (Read 4761 times)

bvalaei

Lightroom 4 & 5 Catalog campatibility
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:55 pm »

Question:
If I upgrade to lightroom 5, can I still use my catalog with lightroom 4?
Here is the situation:
Currently I am using Lightroom 4.4.
My main catalog is an external hard drive which I am using it on my 32bit Vista desktop and 64bit windows7 laptop without problem.
Lightroom 5 can only works on 64 bit computers, as a result, I can only upgrade my laptop computer while I have to continue using lightroom 4 on my desktop.
What will happen if I modify a picture in lightroom 5 on my laptop and then try to open it on my desktop computer with light room 4.4? 
Could it damage the catalog or I cannot open and modify the photos on light room 4.4 at all.
Is there anybody in the same situation?

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks

Babak

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Lightroom 4 & 5 Catalog campatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:42 pm »

LR5 will upgrade a LR4 (or earlier) catalog no problem, but, it's a line in the sand. If you do work in the LR5 catalog, there's no way of getting that work backwards to a LR4 catalog. Yes, you can save out the .xmp metadata, but that would be the only link to processing metadata. You could not open the LR5 catalog in LR4-period...

Steve House

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:52 am »

Question:
If I upgrade to lightroom 5, can I still use my catalog with lightroom 4?
Here is the situation:
Currently I am using Lightroom 4.4.
My main catalog is an external hard drive which I am using it on my 32bit Vista desktop and 64bit windows7 laptop without problem.
Lightroom 5 can only works on 64 bit computers, as a result, I can only upgrade my laptop computer while I have to continue using lightroom 4 on my desktop.
What will happen if I modify a picture in lightroom 5 on my laptop and then try to open it on my desktop computer with light room 4.4? 
Could it damage the catalog or I cannot open and modify the photos on light room 4.4 at all.
Is there anybody in the same situation?

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks

Babak
Lightroom 5 works fine on 32 bit Windows 7, albeit Vista and earlier OS are not supported.

stevebri

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »

Maybe a best practice is to create one last catalog back up , put it in a different folder (last LR4 back up june2013)?
That then IS your line in the sand, and in 6,9,12 months when your not sure when you upgraded, you can easily look at your LR back ups and see when you moved over...

Just my 2c as they say....

S
Pages: [1]   Go Up