Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Pro: What it means for Phase, Leaf  (Read 25932 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New Mac Pro: What it means for Phase, Leaf
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 08:45:05 am »

The new mac pro is in fact already on sales at Amazon jp. Killer price!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ideaco-New-TUBELOR-ゴミ箱-ブラック/dp/B0018NRM9U

Cheers,
Bernard

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

BJL

Re: New Mac Pro: what would external PCIe slots be needed for?
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40:16 am »

There is talk of adding PCIe expansion cards, thus needing an external box, so I have a question:

what sort of things need PCIe slots these days, given the dual internal graphics cards and the TB2, USB3 and GB Ethenrnet ports?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 01:11:41 pm »

But the Mac design cool factor in an advertising agency
Will remains attractive enough.

Fred -  This is an area Mac does very well in.  Design innovation like no other.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »

Unfortunately Apple passed me over this time around.  That's not to say this new pro won't revolutionize the way the PC world looks at desktops.  And lets be really honest, desktops are dying in the mainstream. 
Craig -  Agreed.

Everyone says the desktop world is dying, yet it is still robust enough to support the hundreds of cases currently on the market, series after series of motherboards, video cards, drives..  All of the best performing components.  Perhaps the 'larger' desktop market is dying.  But there is still a large enough market for enthusiasts and custom builders were I don't think we need worry.  At least any time soon.   In fact, I think the OEM's get a fair amount of R&D completed within this community.  So I think we're safe fro now. :)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

aaron

• http://
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 03:22:10 pm »

Wow, The Future is one ugly duckling.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Mr. Rib

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:41 am »

What would be really cool (and stop me from bitching) would be if you could connect this mac into a bigger chassis with all the other stuff inside and if they said everything inside the main unit is swappable  / cuztomizable. Sorry, I don't like the idea of having all the parts scattered around the desktop. I just don't want to be distracted with that sort of thing when I'm working. In fact I'd rather have an empty and clear desk and the computer unit hidden underneath with all the stuff inside. If they sized down the pro for mobility reasons, the idea of having peripherals OUTSIDE of the main unit chassis totally kills the purpose. In fact I see this new Mac Pro as a technological gadget, Apple's design exclamation point- "look what we are capable of!".
I'd like to have a machine that I can move around easily, take it from one point to another without the hassle, additional cables, thinking about connecting and disconnecting all the stuff. This would be revolutionary, not this new design. I just don't see this machine being 'pro'.. It should be 100% expandable-friendly, new mac pro formula isn't. Heck, for me they could just use the same old chassis and make it even more expandable / customizable, with the newest and most powerful components. I'd be happy with that, much happier with what's being announced. It is a new Mac Pro, but it won't meet the demands of the "pro" market.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 12:16:47 pm »

I agree.  I don't want a desk top full of accessories with their own power supplies and cords, when I could have put it all inside the computer case.  I'd rather keep my old mac pro that holds 4 drives and has the pci expansion. 
Rolleiflex USA

BJL

New Mac Pro: discuss this in the Computers and Peripherals forum?
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 12:21:33 pm »

Eric and Mr. Rib,

Firstly, it might make more sense to discuss this in the thread in the Computers and Peripherals forum,
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=79252.0
since this thread has wandered far from Doug's original MF-related information.

Secondly ... my thoughts and questions related to your comments are there: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=79252.msg639032#msg639032
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:32:54 pm by BJL »

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 09:42:06 am »

This is from: http://blog.canadianwebhosting.com/intel-xeon-e5-chipwhat-you-need-to-know/

"Anytime Intel releases a new server chip, it usually is a time for celebration.  What this means for server customers is more power for their servers and new technology integration that creates additional avenues for improved performance and design.  Earlier this week, Intel officially launched their latest Xeon E5 CPU platform, which delivers an estimated 80-percent performance gain over the previous generation of Intel's server chips.  With this platform, server customers have seen more than a 100x’s improvement in raw performance and processing power over the last 10 years."

"The new E5 Xeons each processor now has a maximum of 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes, with each lane running at a top level of eight gigatransfers per second — roughly equivalent to 6.4Gbps. The amount of power consumed by the chips has grown slightly, with thermal design power (TDP) for the E5 family ranging from 60W to 150W.  A new feature targeted at high-performance computing and supercomputing, named, Advanced Vector Extensions, which essentially doubles the floating-point performance of all the processors.  This is significant especially for customers with compute intensive applications like medical imaging, heavy database read/writes and customers working with heavy visuals."
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

bcooter

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:55 am »

I agree.  I don't want a desk top full of accessories with their own power supplies and cords, when I could have put it all inside the computer case.  I'd rather keep my old mac pro that holds 4 drives and has the pci expansion. 

Don't know the real world of the mac pro, but if it doesn't have more pci slots then it's another move of apple to make us work as they wish, not as we do.

It seems to me Apple believes that everything can be handled through TB and every, e-sata, fiber optic drive should be replaced my TB.

i think the new mac pro is for those guys that have a real clean designer desk, only work in a closed loop and love doing everything the way Apple decides that there way is the best way.

Kind of reminds me of FCP X.

I'd love to see Apple make a monitor that didn't have water stain looking issues, had the same color and luminosity for more than the center of the screen and actually calibrated.

Apple loves to make us crazy.

IMO

BC

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:43 am »

BC,
Exactly right.  When you worked with a Mac there used to be multiple ways to get to the same point, now its often only just one way.  e.g., to get to the library you have to pull down the file menu and hold the option key.  Why? Apple thinks their users might mess it up and delete something important.  So its not just a matter of being restricted, but also it's implied that apple must think their user base is ... well let's say less sophisticated. 
Rolleiflex USA

TMARK

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:19 pm »

. . .  So its not just a matter of being restricted, but also it's implied that apple must think their user base is ... well let's say less sophisticated. 

Eric, yeah, but the flip side is the person who does accidentialy delete the Library and complains about it being too easy to delete. 

fredjeang2

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »

This...was predictible

They want to target a different audience now. They want to sell a lot more cool stuff.
But it's not going to be for the niche workin pros of the entertainment producers, it's thought for the entertainment user.
The Apple we all knew years ago is not the same as the one that's now here.

The prob I see with this brand now it's that it's been so good in the past and users are so brand cultist about it that they can
do any crappery and everybody will ask if they aren't doin a genius manouver.

So they can do what they want, it's never going to be a mistake because "they-might-know-something-that-escapes-to-us"

The little prob is that more and more things are escaping to each time more people, at least in our world.

Who needs more marketing department wipping session out-there? Who's next?  Ok, laydown here, Apple master
is coming in a minute to train brand's obedience.
Apple makes cool stuff, repeat 10 times...slash...slash
Yes master
Apple knows something you don't, repeat 20 times...whippp
whiip whippp
Oh master...you're number one
FCPx is the best editing platform on earth, repeat 50 times...

?
This master, I don't know...
whipp
whipp
whipp

etc...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:18:19 pm by fredjeang2 »

BJL

Re: New Mac Pro, and less sophisticated users
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 05:17:35 pm »

Why? Apple thinks their users might mess it up and delete something important. ... it's implied that apple must think their user base is ... well let's say less sophisticated.
I would rather say that Microsoft and Apple both _know_ that the great majority of their users are, by your standards, "less sophisticated", and prone to "operator error": consider the frustratingly persistent success of trojan horse malware attacks, phishing break-ins and such, which certainly fool a lot of Windows users as well as Mac users, so I would dispute any claim for a greater degree of sophistication in the typical Windows user.  Any difference is more in how Windows and OS X deal with that reality of their very numerous "less sophisticated users". My sense is that Windows is aimed more at a work-place model with trained sysadmins who impose restricted privileges on non-admin users, and for home users, frankly on expecting them to install add-on security software, whereas OS X is adapted to having a far higher proportion of usage that is not in a workplace with trained sysadmins, so that most users are their own (untrained) sysadmins, and thus OS X aims to provide a higher level of built-in protection against the risks of "unsophisticated operator error". At the cost that us "power users" have to make one or two more clicks to do some things (like access /Library or ~/Library or UNIX-related resources) than 99% of users never have need to do.

P. S. There is actually more than one way to access your Library folder: as a UNIX old-timer, I use menu Go, item "Go to Folder ..." and type ~/Library

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:58 am »

Not into it.  Just feels too restrictive.  I don't care how fast it is out f the gate, in a year it'll be lagging behind the PCs and you won't be able to upgrade the RAM or Graphics.  Lame, Apple.  Lame.

Mr. Rib

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »

We still don't know if the components within the new Mac pro will be upgradable. If they aren't, sorry- I'm not even going to consider buying it, for reasons Chris just mentioned.
I'm really worried that the new path for pro users suggested by Apple is that they will be upgrading tech specifications of their mac pro machines every now and then and if we feel our machines aren't delivering, we have to buy new ones with better components, because mac pro won't be customizable/upgradable by the user. Heck, we are pro users so we should be able to find a way to afford these machines- once per year to keep things up to date :D
I sooo much hope I'm wrong with my asumption that it won't be upgradable..but I won't be shocked if that's the case. If I'm not wrong, well, so long Mac.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:11 am »

It depend I think if you like it or not to some other issues.
I for one LOVE it.

I don't mind using an TB to PCI-E convertor.
The only reason I use these is to access my external S-ATA drives (E-Sata cards).

However think about this.
The new MacPro is now so small that you can pick it up and drag it with you if you need serious processing power on location but you don't need the external drives. For me that's a game changer. With the old MacPro it never crossed my mind to bring it with me on location but now it opens up more possibilities than limitations.
The new macpro will still stand below my desk and the external PCI-E box will be somewhere where I can't see it.

As long as that works it's a big step forward I think.
Drives that are now inside can be build into an external USB3 or TB casing and problem solved.

For me I like the small form factor, it makes the MacPro a machine to carry with you on location much easier.

bcooter

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 08:09:57 am »

I for one LOVE it.

I don't mind using an TB to PCI-E convertor.
The only reason I use these is to access my external S-ATA drives (E-Sata cards).

You know Frank, if you want a two piece tower computer that's great. I don't see why it needs to exist given the fact a hopped up I mac could do the same and you'd just need one case and a few thousand less out of your checking account.

The thing I don't get is why is Apple  has become  so my way or the highway?

This was a company that thought different, (or said they did) and fought IBM/microsoft  to offer flexibility and longetivity, but today they're more locked down than any device any company could have dreamed of and are down to the 18 months and out the door planned upgrade system.

I'm totally invested in Apple equipment, with powerbooks, towers and Imacs (not including pads, phones) we've got at least a dozen working Apple computers and heck, I've got old G4 computers in storage that have more flexibility than this machine.

Honestly First final cut X, Aperture, then the desktop flower vase?

Really Frank, do you honestly think Apple is producing equipment for the professional imaging market anymore?

Have you bought an Apple monitor in the last few years?  Every Apple monitor I own looks like somebody poured grey water in them and let it bake in the corners.

I just bought a 30" dell monitor that may not be pretty, but is honestly 75% more functional and stable than the Apple monitors.

Today, I don't know anyone producing high end work that hasn't had very hard thoughts about moving their main machines to PC boxes.

Keep in mind this is a company whose operating profit is over 70% vested in phones and yes they make pretty stuff, but IMO this is nothing but the cube with more plugs.

It'll look good on a Herman Miller desk, but in the real world . . . well.

I hope I'm 100% wrong, but I don't think so.

IMO

BC
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up