Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first portrait (B&W)  (Read 9425 times)

nemo295

Re: To a respected member.......
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 03:19:15 pm »

Yada, yada, yada..........Give it a rest with all the legal mumbo jumbo. What Rob is referring to is the common courtesy, ettiquette and respect for the owner of the image.

Some folks don't mind another modifying their photograph to illustrate their comments, others do. Rob is one who does mind and feels that it infringes on his copyright.

Whether he is right or wrong legally does not infringe on his right to believe what he believes.

Please leave the Legal Beagle arguments for the jailhouse or courtroom.

My $.02

Respectfully

Rich

Copyright is not a feeling or a personal belief and Rob has nothing to worry about. Asking first may be considered a courtesy by some, but this is a critique section--no one is attempting to steal or disrespect someone else's work that has been posted in this forum. We're simply discussing it. And debating alternate approaches to a photograph is a perfectly valid thing to discuss in a setting like this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:42:56 pm by Doug Frost »

-Tom-

• 1:1-8 / 19-84
    • Tomislav Mavrovic
Re: My first portrait (B&W)
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »

Well this thread took a strong left turn... :D

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 11:56:55 pm »

Get used to it Tom....that is what makes it worth coming here!
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Richowens

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 12:08:47 am »

Tom,

My apologies, sorry for mucking about in your thread. I will try to behave better in the future.

Back to topic, a very good portrait and very lovely subject. Well done.

Rich

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 04:36:29 am »

I usually try to balance things out with a correction to the right, but eventually I just ignore it all and steam right on ahead instead. Icebergs? What icebergs?

When my mother died I inherited her Spanish dictionary. On the inside of the dust jacket she'd written: defiant, flamboyant, triumphant. I'm not given to thinking that accident. More, I think she was passing on a lesson in life.

If only some of our lefty friends had known her and had experienced the example she set; their concepts would have turned out to be so different... oh well, can't win 'em all.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:41:37 pm by Rob C »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 03:14:18 pm »

When my mother died I inherited her Spanish dictionary. On the inside of the dust jacket she'd written: defiant, flamboyant, triumphant. I'm not give to thinking that accident. More, I think she was passing on a lesson in life.

;-)

Rob C

...and I'm guessing that she was also in possession of an oceanic calm....how fortunate that you have the inscription in her hand...I have only the sound of the last raspy whispers in my ears, which she with great labor repeated exactly three times...I never sorted the words, but hear the whisper clearly still...
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 03:55:54 pm »

...and I'm guessing that she was also in possession of an oceanic calm....how fortunate that you have the inscription in her hand...I have only the sound of the last raspy whispers in my ears, which she with great labor repeated exactly three times...I never sorted the words, but hear the whisper clearly still...

That you would know this... she was the most laid-back person I ever knew; nothing fazed her and what she disliked she simply ignored. That's how she lived until the end - almost. She loved Rome, lived there a while; in retrospect, that's where my wife and I should have gone to live instead of Spain. One doesn't always buy the right ticket at the right time. Unfortunately.

Rob C

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »

Fantastically timeless – I love it.

What a really good film noire poster this would make.  :)

Dave

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 03:13:51 am »

I have to disagree with the others about the crop - I like it as it is.  I can see why the crop is popular, but it changes the whole balance.  For me the space behind makes me think about the girl and where she is, the blackness is her security.  When cropped it becomes more about what she is looking at.  Neither is right or wrong, just my preference.
A really great picture I think.

Jim

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 10:59:14 am »

You know, a simple tag under your name that says: Editing Allowed, Ask First, or No Edits, Please would cure this problem. I have always been of a mind if you post in "USER CRITIQUES," you open yourself up for edits unless otherwise directed.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 11:41:59 am »

You know, a simple tag under your name that says: Editing Allowed, Ask First, or No Edits, Please would cure this problem. I have always been of a mind if you post in "USER CRITIQUES," you open yourself up for edits unless otherwise directed.

Yes, on the face of it, reasonable.

However, critique is one thing but copying and messing with an image is a step rather far beyond.

IMO, and I don't think it's right touching without asking. It's a nice ego trip to take an image and exercise better skills on it, but that's personal ego and glory and eff all to do with the poor mutt being ripped. Verbal advice can be nice (and is usually neutral), but humiliation never. Unless it's your bag, of course, but are we that broad a spectrum here?

;-)

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »

Mea Cupla TOM  :-[
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up