Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My first portrait (B&W)  (Read 9424 times)

-Tom-

• 1:1-8 / 19-84
    • Tomislav Mavrovic
My first portrait (B&W)
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:02 am »

I can honestly say, after few years of shooting around I'm tired of shooting mere objects, sceneries and similar statics...so few days ago I asked this girl (who I never met before), to sit down and look away as I take a couple of shots of her. I'm happy with the results and I want to do more of these kinds of things. Will have to explain myself to my girl though :D

Rob C

Re: My first portrait (B&W)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »

It's an interesting shot; you should continue along the way and see where it leads you.

Rob C

-Tom-

• 1:1-8 / 19-84
    • Tomislav Mavrovic
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

It's an interesting shot; you should continue along the way and see where it leads you.

I will. I took the shot probably because few hours earlier I've listened to Michael Diemar's lecture about history of photography market and it was so fascinating and it just made me feel more appreciative of the medium...with all the SD cards I have laying around it's easy to get tired of your own photos, just droning away one shutter click after another...but after the lecture I feel as if I should take shots that have some sense in them, some back story, anything other than a mere "point, zoom, click, move on".

/rant

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »

A slight less crop .....True black --
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:43:45 pm by cjogo »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 01:04:16 pm »

I agree with Jogo. The visible part of the girl's face is too close to the middle of the frame in the first version. Very dramatic. Good shooting, Tom.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:51:04 pm »

I agree with Jogo. The visible part of the girl's face is too close to the middle of the frame in the first version. Very dramatic. Good shooting, Tom.

I too agree. I'm afraid my deeply-held antipathy to smoking puts me off full admiration, but it's a fine shot.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 02:10:24 pm »

But you've gotta admit, Jeremy, that's a pretty cute smoker. Maybe somebody can get her to quit.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 04:03:48 pm »

A slight less crop .....True black --

Where did the wisp of smoke come from?
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 05:18:04 pm »

Magic
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Tonysx

To a respected member.......
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »

A quote from another post.

"Working with people is entirely something else: you start with a minimum (if you are in luck) of two people standing there, looking at one another. What happens next is what makes you and your model either good or not good. There's nobody else to thank or to blame. You create or you fail. You do not simply erect a tripod, frame what's there and wait for the light to change or not to change before you press the button."

And from another..

"Copying others' work and making 'improvements'. One should always ask first for two main reasons: copyright, if we ignore it here, is devalued everywhere; not to ask first smacks of an unpleasant arrogance."

Just because you're a highly respected member here, should not allow you to disregard your own comments and ignore the fact that Cjogo's image is now no longer even close to original and probably not authorised by the OP. But this is the "User Critiques" forum so anything goes?

‘Be you ever so high, the law

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »

Nice.

I would have positioned the lit edge oh her features on top the darker background in the middle.

Cheers,
Bernard

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 12:50:11 am »

Where did the wisp of smoke come from?

Just from the NET... searching ... found that one in a few moments ...  dropped it in...

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:16 am »

But you've gotta admit, Jeremy, that's a pretty cute smoker.

Damn right. That makes it worse!

Jeremy

Rob C

Re: To a respected member.......
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 05:12:43 am »

"Working with people is entirely something else: you start with a minimum (if you are in luck) of two people standing there, looking at one another. What happens next is what makes you and your model either good or not good. There's nobody else to thank or to blame. You create or you fail. You do not simply erect a tripod, frame what's there and wait for the light to change or not to change before you press the button."

And from another..

"Copying others' work and making 'improvements'. One should always ask first for two main reasons: copyright, if we ignore it here, is devalued everywhere; not to ask first smacks of an unpleasant arrogance."

Just because you're a highly respected member here, should not allow you to disregard your own comments and ignore the fact that Cjogo's image is now no longer even close to original and probably not authorised by the OP. But this is the "User Critiques" forum so anything goes?

The tea must be ultra strong today, can you please explain what you are telling me here? I honestly don't get the point. I don't remember copying Cjogo's work anywhere...

As to whether being a Critique section authorizes copyright breach is a novel legal perspective to be pondered. I can't find any reference laid down by the founding fathers offering that possibility.

;-)

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 12:53:52 pm »

Yikes  ::  sorry If I offended  :'(-- just the teacher in me -- and too difficult to convey the actions that I performed in CS  >> in a few paragraphs .. it was mainly going to have to be a visual display.  Started with a true black ... and a very slight crop > from the void on the left.  I am sure there was more detail, to Toms eyes, on the left  >whilst in the camera .. but the detail did not appear on the image.

stamper

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:04 am »

I think the crop makes it work better and it is a stronger image. I can see where Tonysx is coming from and technically he is probably right. However it is the accepted norm on the forum for that to happen and most posters accept that it will happen. Perhaps the moderator can step in and decide which is best?

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:24 am »

I think the crop makes it work better and it is a stronger image. I can see where Tonysx is coming from and technically he is probably right. However it is the accepted norm on the forum for that to happen and most posters accept that it will happen. Perhaps the moderator can step in and decide which is best?

Actually, stamper, that post was a cut from one of mine; it's the odd manner in which quotations are partly carried through when someone quotes from another quote that makes provenance uncertain. Just like collecting old snaps, then.

;-)

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »

This is lovely, I could stare for hours.

nemo295

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »

This is incorrect as far as the copyright laws of both the U.S. and Canada are concerned.

Under U.S. copyright law, using someone's image, with appropriate attribution, in the context of a critique is perfectly legal, as outlined in section 107 covering fair use:

"the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."

LuLa, of course, is based in Canada, and is therefore subject to their laws. Canada doesn't have what we here in the U.S. call "fair use". They operate under a concept called "fair dealing". And while it is more strict than its U.S. counterpart, using copyrighted works in the context of a critique is permitted as long as attribution is clearly stated. This is covered in section 29 of the Canadian Copyright Law:

"s.29.1 Fair dealing for the purpose of criticism or review does not infringe copyright if the following are mentioned:

(a) the source; and
    (b) if given in the source, the name of the

(i) author, in the case of a work,
        (ii) performer, in the case of a performer’s performance,
        (iii) maker, in the case of a sound recording, or
        (iv) broadcaster, in the case of a communication signal."

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:15:04 pm by Doug Frost »

Richowens

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 02:58:45 pm »

This is incorrect as far as the copyright laws of both the U.S. and Canada are concerned.

Under U.S. copyright law, using someone's image, with appropriate attribution, in the context of a critique is perfectly legal, as outlined in section 107 covering fair use:

"the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."

Yada, yada, yada..........Give it a rest with all the legal mumbo jumbo. What Rob is referring to is the common courtesy, ettiquette and respect for the owner of the image.

Some folks don't mind another modifying their photograph to illustrate their comments, others do. Rob is one who does mind and feels that it infringes on his copyright.

Whether he is right or wrong legally does not infringe on his right to believe what he believes.

Please leave the Legal Beagle arguments for the jailhouse or courtroom.

My $.02

Respectfully

Rich

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up