Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 to be released soon  (Read 7343 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lightroom 5 to be released soon
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:54:59 am »

Hello,

I just received an information from my dealer that Lightroom 5 will be released at the beginning of the coming week. There was no information about the price included in the offer, but mentioned that the price will be published on Monday morning.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom 5 to be released soon
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:18:48 am »

I just received an information from my dealer that Lightroom 5 will be released at the beginning of the coming week.
Who would that be?

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:07:31 pm »

EDV-Buchversand in Germany. But I fear it doesn't help you any further...;-)
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Glenn NK

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:45 pm »

LR released soon?   Interesting; I've been using the beta a bit since it was issued, but personally found it to somewhat less than exciting.

Maybe there were some updates to LR5 beta I missed?

1)  I felt that my machine ran slower.  And the catalogue for LR5 is far smaller than that of LR4 (I duplicated about thirty files and imported them into LR5 - not a large data base).

2)  The advantage of being able to duplicate adjustment brushes was somewhat nullified as the first brush could not be accessed and modified once the second was created.

3)  I wanted to be able to apply the HSL adjustment to a brush.  Nope.

Maybe next time.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »

LR released soon?   Interesting; I've been using the beta a bit since it was issued, but personally found it to somewhat less than exciting.

Maybe there were some updates to LR5 beta I missed?

1)  I felt that my machine ran slower.  And the catalogue for LR5 is far smaller than that of LR4 (I duplicated about thirty files and imported them into LR5 - not a large data base).

2)  The advantage of being able to duplicate adjustment brushes was somewhat nullified as the first brush could not be accessed and modified once the second was created.

3)  I wanted to be able to apply the HSL adjustment to a brush.  Nope.

Maybe next time.

Glenn

Interesting....

1) What little I have used it, I have found it a bit more responsive, though, as you, a small sample.

2) Saw same problem.  However, you can pull the top one out of the way, adjust, and move back.

3) Agree.

I like the 'Radial' gradient, new clone/heal, "upright" adjustments
John

Glenn NK

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04:23 pm »

2) However, you can pull the top one out of the way, adjust, and move back.

I don't quite follow this - could you elaborate please?

Glenn

eliedinur

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »

I don't quite follow this - could you elaborate please?

Glenn
That can be done with the Radial filter, but I don't think it can be done with the brush, although there were reports that they are trying to enable it, so it might be possible in the final release.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

1)  I felt that my machine ran slower.

Par for the course with a beta. Optimization is one of the very last processes and it's not at all uncommon for a beta to be slower than the final release of most products.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Glenn NK

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:18 am »

That can be done with the Radial filter, but I don't think it can be done with the brush, although there were reports that they are trying to enable it, so it might be possible in the final release.

OK.  I had a discussion with Victoria Brampton (the Lightroom Queen) on the Lightroom forum in mid April, and she confirmed that when a second brush was created, the first one could not be accessed/opened for further edits - although she wished it could be.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?19165-Duplicating-an-Adjustment-Brush

Glenn

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:15:55 am »

Par for the course with a beta. Optimization is one of the very last processes and it's not at all uncommon for a beta to be slower than the final release of most products.
With LR4 everyone said that and the final release version was no improvement.

Although so far this has been the first report that LR5b is slower than 4 I've seen, most people seem to think it's no worse and possibly a little faster than 4.

John Caldwell

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 09:26:01 am »

OK.  I had a discussion with Victoria Brampton (the Lightroom Queen) on the Lightroom forum in mid April, and she confirmed that when a second brush was created, the first one could not be accessed/opened for further edits - although she wished it could be.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?19165-Duplicating-an-Adjustment-Brush

Glenn

But can we modify and rename the send brush, asking as I truly don't know? If we can change the second brush, meaning the copy of the first, doesn't it become less important to modify the original brush?

Thank you,

John Caldwell

Glenn NK

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »

But can we modify and rename the second brush, asking as I truly don't know? If we can change the second brush, meaning the copy of the first, doesn't it become less important to modify the original brush?

Thank you,

John Caldwell

John:

I believe the second brush can be accessed and modified.

Your point is valid - modifying the first brush may often not be as important.

I have situations where it does matter:  Suppose I made a mistake with the first brush - I can't correct it unless I can access it.

There are many instances when the first brush (used for softening a BG), isn't strong enough.   With LR4, I start a second brush at a different location - now they are both accessible.  However, the second one takes as long as the first one - a lot of extra work.

If in LR5 the first can't be accessed but needs fixing, the only solution I see is to delete both brushes and start over.  In some cases this is not tragic, but I've been using the brush to soften the BG of flower closeups/macros - on a complex flower this can take some considerable time - I don't want to have to start over.

It could have been so useful.

Glenn

John Caldwell

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 12:38:26 pm »

John:
I have situations where it does matter:  Suppose I made a mistake with the first brush - I can't correct it unless I can access it...
Glenn

Yes, of course, Glenn. Don't know how I missed that point as I also am always editing what a brush has done after the mask is created. Maybe this is a simple fix?

John-

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

With the Radial Filter the second pin is just to the side and the first can still be accessed.  With the Grad Filter the second one can be moved away, the first accessed and modified, and the second replaced. But with the Brush Tool there's indeed no way to access the first.  I would suggest it's a bug.

Mike.

As far as LR 5 release, the beta expires in three weeks, so expect LR 5 or (less likely) Beta 2 before then.  Anyone who knows is covered by NDA and can't say, and everyone else is just guessing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:12:03 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Glenn NK

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 09:02:17 pm »

With the Radial Filter the second pin is just to the side and the first can still be accessed.  With the Grad Filter the second one can be moved away, the first accessed and modified, and the second replaced. But with the Brush Tool there's indeed no way to access the first.  I would suggest it's a bug.

Mike.

It would seem logical (to me) that the AB would work the same way - but it doesn't.

Bug or oversight or a difficult bit of programming?

Don't now, but I'm still disappointed.

Glenn

eliedinur

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »

John:

I believe the second brush can be accessed and modified.

Your point is valid - modifying the first brush may often not be as important.

I have situations where it does matter:  Suppose I made a mistake with the first brush - I can't correct it unless I can access it.

There are many instances when the first brush (used for softening a BG), isn't strong enough.   With LR4, I start a second brush at a different location - now they are both accessible.  However, the second one takes as long as the first one - a lot of extra work.

If in LR5 the first can't be accessed but needs fixing, the only solution I see is to delete both brushes and start over.  In some cases this is not tragic, but I've been using the brush to soften the BG of flower closeups/macros - on a complex flower this can take some considerable time - I don't want to have to start over.

It could have been so useful.

Glenn
No need to delete the first brush, only the second. Like every other edit it is applied only at export, so it can be changed twenty times and only the last setting is the operative one. Do your corrections/changes and then create the second one again.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 12:30:34 am »

It is now available.

This being said, Adobe won't be getting a cent from me anymore. I just spent that budget on a pl32 license minutes ago.

That's that cost of their PS craze.

Cheers,
Bernard

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 12:41:31 am »

It is a part of CC I see. If you only have CC Photoshop do you still get LR5, or do you require the full Suite?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19:05 am »

I'm downloading PL also. as I will transition from PS cs5 when they start hacking the abilities between LR and PS, as they do now without having the latest raw dev in CS5 (older than 7.4)

Also checking out GIMPshop and few others
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:27:27 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 01:59:16 am »

It is a part of CC I see. If you only have CC Photoshop do you still get LR5, or do you require the full Suite?

If you get Photoshop CC (or any other single license) you only get one license.  If you want Photoshop CC AND Lightroom you either buy Lightroom or go for the full CC license.

Mike.

P.S.  I tried going to the Adobe Canada site but it redirected automatically to LR 4.  Had to go to the US site to download (810MB for Windows)
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:20:48 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up