Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Freedom dies piece by peace  (Read 8904 times)

Harald L

Freedom dies piece by peace
« on: June 08, 2013, 03:36:22 am »

A few days ago a well known newspaper in Hamburg reported a concert of Cecilia Bartoli. The editors left a prominent blank space in the article to protest against the concert-management: "In this white space we would like to present a photograph but the management insisted on examine and release all pictures. We rejected that claim."
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

Re: Freedom dies piece by peace
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:51:34 am »

A few days ago a well known newspaper in Hamburg reported a concert of Cecilia Bartoli. The editors left a prominent blank space in the article to protest against the concert-management: "In this white space we would like to present a photograph but the management insisted on examine and release all pictures. We rejected that claim."

That's a very good idea, and perhaps if more magazines were brave enough to do the same, it would still be possible for 'stars' to be humanised enough for people really to care again.

I think back on the days when photographers were sent along to make pictures of this actor or actress and came back with something personal, human, different and lovable or, alternatively, full of menace. (We all remember Brando brooding... when did Brad do that, so what do we remember of him or his kind?) What do we get today? Plastic stereotypes, of either (or all variations thereof) gender, one identical to the other, controlled by public relations gurus with about as much sense of public relations as a gorilla. So in the end, they all become absolutely interchangeable, mere product. As a result, I don't know who they are anymore and I don't even care enough to go to the movies.

A triumph of public relations and marketing, then.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:35:22 pm »

Good for them. It's a shame, though: she's a fantastic artist and I'm saddened to hear that she's succumbing to such diva-like behaviour; for some reason, I'd thought better of her.

Jeremy

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »

Good for them. It's a shame, though: she's a fantastic artist and I'm saddened to hear that she's succumbing to such diva-like behaviour; for some reason, I'd thought better of her.

Jeremy

I'm not so shure that she's aware about this. I wonder if stars are selling their souls to the marketing guys. Sort of Dr. Faustus...

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »

Is it Beyonce who's not permitting photography at some upcoming concerts after some unflattering images from her Super Bowl performance were published?

Rocco Penny

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »

you know Rob has again hit the nail on the head-
except I've also seen the guys so bent on getting their image as to make themselves a real public nuisance.
No sense so all recording etc is prohibited.
I once looked up the meaning of prohibited on a car ride home with my family.  There were some signs on the road that said all hiking or climbing was prohibited.
So I looked it up, it read, 'forbidden'
Okay now I've been busted in the chops for not knowing or caring what those words meant until I was around 40
but I always knew 'respect'
Not all photographers/fans can be counted on for 'respect'
but many more know what "forbidden' or 'prohibited' means.
f'd up world where you have to go around protecting yourself from random attacks, photo wise because folks can't respect the diff between art and prurience...
hauh remember Treudeu(sp)?

Gulag

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:47 pm »

Freedom? What freedom? We've never had any real freedom to begin with.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 04:20:26 am »

Freedom? What freedom? We've never had any real freedom to begin with.

Really? Where do you have the misfortune to reside?

I have to admit that other than a few years in a prison boarding school, I have enjoyed a lifetime of freedom, the only real and absolute restrictions coming from within as result of my own failings and shortcomings.

But then, I don't understand freedom as the right to inconvenience everyone else.

;-)

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 05:53:16 am »

But then, I don't understand freedom as the right to inconvenience everyone else.

;-)

Rob C

Agree in general, but sometimes I believe that this is the poison pill of freedom. Luckily, not so many people make use of this "right"
Glad to be an amateur

Gulag

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:45 pm »

Really? Where do you have the misfortune to reside?

I have to admit that other than a few years in a prison boarding school, I have enjoyed a lifetime of freedom, the only real and absolute restrictions coming from within as result of my own failings and shortcomings.

;-)

Rob C

It really doesn't matter where you live in the world.  To fully understand your lack of vocabulary to fully express your unfreedom, I suggest you revisit the western intellectual history since the Renaissance.  

If Jean-Jacques Rousseau were around today,  he would have probably said the following instead:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:03:17 pm by Gulag »
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:22 am »

you know Rob has again hit the nail on the head-
except I've also seen the guys so bent on getting their image as to make themselves a real public nuisance.
No sense so all recording etc is prohibited.
I once looked up the meaning of prohibited on a car ride home with my family.  There were some signs on the road that said all hiking or climbing was prohibited.
So I looked it up, it read, 'forbidden'
Okay now I've been busted in the chops for not knowing or caring what those words meant until I was around 40
but I always knew 'respect'
Not all photographers/fans can be counted on for 'respect'
but many more know what "forbidden' or 'prohibited' means.
f'd up world where you have to go around protecting yourself from random attacks, photo wise because folks can't respect the diff between art and prurience...
hauh remember Treudeu(sp)?

I saw Eddie and Gene Vincent playing together in Glasgow just before they took the car trip south and Eddie got killed...

Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Otis Redding, jeez, the list goes on.

But I think the Canadian's wife threw him out with the garbage, didn't she?

http://youtu.be/A_iksiEdDbE

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:33 am »

It really doesn't matter where you live in the world.  To fully understand your lack of vocabulary to fully express your unfreedom, I suggest you revisit the western intellectual history since the Renaissance.  

If Jean-Jacques Rousseau were around today,  he would have probably said the following instead:

So, freedom means you live off somebody else's work? Or freedom means nobody like us has to work because we have slaves to do it for us? Or freedom means we can bullshit our way through student parties and get slapped on the back and told we are friggin' wonderful... yeah, that's freedom.

That freedom might mean that we get the chance to work at the job we love; that we are the only real obstacle standing in our own way, that with determination we might rise above that, that's not freedom, then, that's subjugation? That the successes we bring to ourselves aren't worth celebrating because some other lazy bastard has none, yeah, that's not freedom to do well, that's exploitation of others.

It really is ever more relevant to enquire where you might have the misfortune to reside!

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:25 am »

... It really is ever more relevant to enquire where you might have the misfortune to reside!

In a gulag? ;D

Harald L

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 12:17:47 pm »

I saw Eddie and Gene Vincent playing together in Glasgow just before they took the car trip south and Eddie got killed...

Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Otis Redding, jeez, the list goes on.

But I think the Canadian's wife threw him out with the garbage, didn't she?

http://youtu.be/A_iksiEdDbE

Rob C

This is funny and so relevant to the topic. If you follow the link in Germany you'll only get a message: "This video contains music of EMI and Gemany's Assoziation for Copyrights (GEMA) hasn't granted the rights to show this video in Germany. We are so sorry. YouTube"

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 12:41:26 pm »

There you go: the freedom to create music and the freedom to protect it, all rolled into one! Now that's freedom!

;-)

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:37 pm »

freedom! freedom?
we don't need no stinking freedom!
I'll show you freedom
Eddie was the real thing huh Rob?
I'll also take this chance to say that hassy fake stuff you're doing is just short of the coolest things I've seen in a while-
that egg thing...
Oh well,
you're coming through loud and clear,
that Eddie man....
too bad it isn't an easy link to find,
many people should hear that...

Gulag

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 01:30:52 am »

So, freedom means you live off somebody else's work? Or freedom means nobody like us has to work because we have slaves to do it for us? Or freedom means we can bullshit our way through student parties and get slapped on the back and told we are friggin' wonderful... yeah, that's freedom.

That freedom might mean that we get the chance to work at the job we love; that we are the only real obstacle standing in our own way, that with determination we might rise above that, that's not freedom, then, that's subjugation? That the successes we bring to ourselves aren't worth celebrating because some other lazy bastard has none, yeah, that's not freedom to do well, that's exploitation of others.

It really is ever more relevant to enquire where you might have the misfortune to reside!

;-)

Rob C

I am glad you don't feel any despair or unfreedom in your life, as Soren Kierkegaard pointed out not everyone can feel it since it's not mood issue at all.

Love to share one of Gregory Crewdson's work here. Perhaps his work can express what I am trying to say.

Untitled (Oasis), 2004 - Gregory Crewdson

— Jean Baudrillard

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 03:25:34 am »

Untitled (Oasis), 2004 - Gregory Crewdson

Is "Oasis" the title? Or perhaps "(Oasis)"?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 08:46:38 am »

Gulag - you picked the very last guy to explain anything to me.

He leaves me depressed, and wondering what hope there is for photographic art these days.

I rushed away from the computer last night to watch a show on the BBC - Culture - and I had to turn off half-way through. The front man and a female gallery person were looking at art from the great unwashed; an image they oooh and aaah over was a large photographic print of a room full of clutter. The best I can say is that the chap had money to spend - it was a large print. When the front man started to explain to us morons that the image was clearly an autobiographical statement I could stand no more. My own madness is, to me, preferrable to that of another, especially when I think he's lying through his teeth.

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 09:27:52 am »

Hey Rob,
you passed 10,000 posts

And got stuff done-the propeller is just perfect
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up