Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goldmine  (Read 1368 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Goldmine
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »

Turn of the 20th century goldmine at the top of American Eagles Overlook, not far from Cripple Creek.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Vladimirovich

Re: Goldmine
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »

too much clutter...

Harald L

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:08:04 pm »

I really like those heavy-duty machinery of abandoned industrial sites. Some may say that it is too busy but for me it's indispensable for this kind of pictures.
Glad to be an amateur

RSL

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:33:48 pm »

Okay, here's one for Vlad: less cluttered. Looking the other direction at the gears that drove the thing. You can see the larger gear at the far left of the first picture.

Harald L

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 06:57:21 pm »

Ok, two gearwheels. Where is the goldmine gone? :-\
Glad to be an amateur

francois

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:49:36 am »

I like the first image. Yes, it is chaotic but, at least in my mind, gold mine machinery is synonymous of complicated gears/levers/cables/pulleys etc.

The second image is much simpler but I don't associate it with a goldmine…
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:04:25 am »

Reminds me of a junkyard outside Jerome AZ full of cool old stuff that makes you want to zoom out and zoom in and just go nuts. Lighting is challenging for such. Russ this looks mid-day. I wonder if shooting early or late would change the mood of such a setting significantly. Off I go for an experiment!

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:15:57 am »

I like the first image. Yes, it is chaotic but, at least in my mind, gold mine machinery is synonymous of complicated gears/levers/cables/pulleys etc.

You don't watch the right movies.

They do it in the river, wearing vests and very old Stetsons, not a gear in sight. In the other movies, they do it underground in the dark, and so nobody knows what, if anything, they actually wear.

The daylight version, in the river, would be a very nice little story for a girlie calendar. I can see it now. I don't think vests would feature at all.

Or, we could all go to Old Tucson and do a workshop instead.

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:40:14 am »

Ok, two gearwheels. Where is the goldmine gone? :-\

Hi Harlem, If you look at the extreme left of the first picture you'll see the larger of the two gears. When the mine was operating the spool was driven through those gears by a steam engine, later replaced by a diesel engine. Here's a picture of the mine's derrick from the side. The cables off to the left lead to the spools and machinery in the first and second pictures. This mine is at an elevation of approximately 10,750 feet (3,277 meters).

Yeah, David, I remember poking around Jerome. I'd go up there with my folks when we were visiting Phoenix. We made the trip once just after WW II. I was 15, and I'd been driving for two years. I vividly remember driving down the narrow road through the Mingus Mountains -- often on the outside with about a thousand foot drop a couple feet off to the right. I made that trip a few years ago and found that they've made that once exciting drive pretty ho-hum.

Those guys in the river had some pretty big pans, Rob, and most of them were prospecting. Once they found a spot that showed gold they'd stake a claim and dig a gopher hole (technical term). Some paid off, some didn't. If the gopher hole paid off then they'd dig a really big hole, something like the Theresa mine -- the one in the second picture. (A county tourist outfit added the walkway and the fence a couple years ago.)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 11:55:04 am »

Okay, here's one for Vlad: less cluttered. Looking the other direction at the gears that drove the thing. You can see the larger gear at the far left of the first picture.
no, "theresa.jpg" is better... it is actually shows a mine...

francois

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 12:13:05 pm »

You don't watch the right movies.

You already pointed out my deficiencies on movies!  :D

Quote from: Rob C
They do it in the river, wearing vests and very old Stetsons, not a gear in sight. In the other movies, they do it underground in the dark, and so nobody knows what, if anything, they actually wear.

I had some relatives who worked in mining and we visited many old or still in operation mines but none were in rivers…

The daylight version, in the river, would be a very nice little story for a girlie calendar. I can see it now. I don't think vests would feature at all.

Your description of "river" mining is very interesting, Rob… At least a lot less boring than those dusty mines.

Quote from: Rob C

Or, we could all go to Old Tucson and do a workshop instead.
Rob C

Actually, I spent quite some time in Tucson but never visited the Old Tucson Studios. The closed I've been was the parking lot... to pickup visitors.
Francois

Bill Marquis

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 01:32:21 pm »

Man, the theresa image is spectacular!

francois

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 01:40:05 pm »

Man, the theresa image is spectacular!

I agree! It's my favorite of the four images of this thread.
Francois

RSL

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

Thanks, guys. I've shot that beautiful abandoned mine at least two dozen times from that same spot. This coming Tuesday I'm going back up there to poke around Victor and I'll probably shoot it again. This time I got lucky on the clouds, and there was fresh snow on the Sawatch range below the clouds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up