Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about deleting stored photos from an Ipad  (Read 1274 times)

mg73

Question about deleting stored photos from an Ipad
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »

I am in the process of buying a tablet as a portable adjunct for my photography hobby.  I primarily want it to store and display photos during a trip or photoshoot.  I don't really want to do any editing on it.  I'll do editing in photoshop/lightroom on my PC.  I have friends who use the ipad on trips to store and show their pictures to friends.  They are all apple users and use macs for their main computers.  Their one complaint seems to be that deleting the numerous photos from their ipad after transferring them to the mac seems to be a tedious process.

I'm looking at the latest ipad with retina display.  My main computer is a PC and not a mac.  I read in the LL article about tablets that when you hook up the ipad to your PC is shows up as a DCIM folder and you can supposedly transfer the files onto the PC using the PC's file manager.  My question is, can I also delete the photo's from the Ipad using my PC's file manager?

thanks,

John Nollendorfs

Re: Question about deleting stored photos from an Ipad
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:50:36 pm »

Can't answer your question about an iPad from experience, but yes, I've done that with my Nexus7 pad. But it's also quite easy to delete multiple images from the Nexus viewer.

Would like to point out a feature of pads I love, is a ability to use the EyeFi card in my camera, and have the images magically appear on the pad as I shoot. Of course I don't have it transfer the RAW files, just a small jpeg. Neat, neat neat! ;-)

Robert55

Re: Question about deleting stored photos from an Ipad
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:04:48 am »

I bought an iPad for similar reasons and yes, the retina screen is great to look at. I have an app (Foliobook) for showing finished photo's. But doing the same on the go with RAW's has been a struggle.

If you want to delete on the ipad, you have select them one by one.
The official way is probably through iTunes with the ipad connected to the PC. Let's just say itunes is not my favourite programme.
If you remove with explorer, you can only delete the files in the DCIM folder, not the previews (and they are big) the ipad generates and stores in another place [or 2?].

All in all, I don't regret buying an ipad, but using it I've discovered I want more in photography with a tablet. So next time round, I'll probably look at something else, that integrates better with my desktop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up