Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decades of art negatives to the dumpster  (Read 1148 times)

dreed

Decades of art negatives to the dumpster
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:26 am »

The world has moved so quickly to digital that you cannot even give away negatives for photographs taken in the past...

James Dee plans to give away his modern art archive

... but what someone should do here is invest some time & money to digitise it all.

BobDavid

Re: Decades of art negatives to the dumpster
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:44:07 am »

A treasure trove for sure. I'm surprised the Smithsonian isn't biting. He could probably auction off each box--sort of like how owners of storage facilities auction off contents left in storage spaces when the rent checks stop coming in. There is an inane"surreality" tv show that airs here in the US; the theme of the show is auctioning off contents from storage facilities.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:49:11 am by BobDavid »

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:00:33 am »

The world has moved so quickly to digital that you cannot even give away negatives for photographs taken in the past...

James Dee plans to give away his modern art archive

... but what someone should do here is invest some time & money to digitise it all.

I suspect that if the frames were organised and labeled, some institution would do just that.  But to have to figure out what each frame individually represents is a monumental task and not one that's likely to be taken up quickly.

dreed

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:07:30 am »

I suspect that if the frames were organised and labeled, some institution would do just that.  But to have to figure out what each frame individually represents is a monumental task and not one that's likely to be taken up quickly.

Upload thumbnails and crowd-source the labels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up