Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropped or uncropped...?  (Read 1879 times)

graeme

Cropped or uncropped...?
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:29:23 am »

Another one from Fountains Abbey.

I'd welcome opinions on whether to go for the cropped or uncropped version - I'm favouring the cropped one this morning...

Thanks for any input.

Graeme

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Cropped or uncropped...?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:44 am »

Cropped.

It already contains enough elements of interest which form a single group.

The uncropped version has an additional element of interest (architecturally), but that doesn't complement the remaining bits, imo.

Would make a great Hasselfake entry.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Harald L

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:56:26 am »

Cropped, without any doubt!
Glad to be an amateur

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:29 am »

Uncropped. The arches are what made you frame the picture, and that's really what the picture is about.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

francois

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:35:59 am »

Cropped for the moving silhouette… If you intended to show the arches, then Russ is right.
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 07:49:47 am »

Is it leaning left or did I have too much wine last night?

Riccardo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10:24 am »

Uncropped. The cropped version is focused on the moving silhouette, but this is too weak as subject.

Same impression (or same wine), but it doesn't bother me.

nemo295

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:25:24 pm »

Uncropped. The arches are what made you frame the picture, and that's really what the picture is about.

+1 exactly right.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:28:24 am »

As soon as I saw that you'd offered a view, Russ, I knew what it would be before I'd read it! And on this occasion, I agree.

Jeremy

graeme

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 06:29:04 am »

Cropped.

It already contains enough elements of interest which form a single group.

The uncropped version has an additional element of interest (architecturally), but that doesn't complement the remaining bits, imo.

Would make a great Hasselfake entry.
Thanks opgr

That's the way I'm thinking now.

I haven't been following the Hasselfake thread - I'm guessing it's a square format thing?

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:46:50 am »

I'm not sure Russ. I took the shot quite quickly at the end of the day: Set the tripod up as high as possible without extending the centre column ( about 1.2 metres / 4" ) with the camera levelled. I think I was concentrating mainly on the view through the inner arch but the physical setup of the camera tripod meant that the corridor & arches above were included.

At least that's the way my mind is reconstructing events...

I've been living with a print of the uncropped version on my wall for about two weeks and it only recently occurred to me to try a crop. I think I'll just print one out & see how I get on with it.

Thanks for the input.

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:16 am »

Hi David

It's not the wine.

The abbey is a 12th century structure and hasn't had much TLC since the the Dissolution of the Monasteries so the various bits of the place are all leaning in subtly different directions. I levelled the camera and lined it up with the inner arch on the cropped version.

I'm pretty sensitive to images with horizons & verticals which aren't level but it's just part of the character of places like this. I just try and make one vertical or horizontal in the image level to give the composition some 'balance'. ( Bad wording but I can't think of better this morning ).

Regards

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:22:19 am »

Uncropped. The cropped version is focused on the moving silhouette, but this is too weak as subject.

Same impression (or same wine), but it doesn't bother me.

Hi Riccardo

I'm happy with the strength of the image.

The cropped version works for me because of the interaction between the blurred moving silhouette and the unmoving structure and linearity of the abbey. ( Probably the influence of postwar German architectural glass design - stuff like this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/hofglasmalerei/4598725200/in/gallery-44949839@N07-72157623385894785/ ).

Of course what works for one of us may leave another cold - I see some images in the LuLa Critique section which I just don't get but other posters rave about.

Regards

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 07:26:50 am »

Thanks for all the input on this. I'm trying to get back to Fountains to take some more shots before the UK holiday season kicks off. Work, social commitments & back pain have been obstacles but I'll get there...

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up