Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trona Sunrise  (Read 1652 times)

Roman Racela

Trona Sunrise
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:20:40 pm »

I shot this in the Fall last year. I really like the play between the highlights and shadows making the pinnacles glow as the sun rose above the horizon. I've been going to this spot for a couple of years now...almost becoming obsessed with capturing something magical at this place. I think I have a few of them already, but it is not this one that I've posted. :)

Thanks for viewing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Trona Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:19:03 pm »

I do not know whether you would appreciate a critique here, in this forum, and if not, I'll remove this post.

The white background of the forum, as well as on the photobucket site does not do justice to the image. Only when you click on the magnifying glass there and it dims the background, you can appreciate the details in the shadows, and the light parts start really to glow. In any case, I think that the whole image might benefit from some extra exposure (perhaps between 1/4 and 1/3 f/stop, depending on the background). That would make the white clouds a bit brighter too.

Oh, and yes, when viewed in a darkened environment, the image is indeed splendid! ;)

Roman Racela

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:22 pm »

I actually appreciate the comment and critique, Slobodan.

I totally see your point and didn't even noticed it until you mentioned it. The dimmed background does make a difference. Again, I never noticed it before since I've always viewed the image at 100% screen coverage. I actually bumped up a exposure before just by a little bit (maybe 1/3 stop) but with that 'lil adjustment the image became a bit boring. I do agree with you with the clouds. I may have to increase the contrast a tad just for the sky so the clouds pop a little more. I appreciate the suggestion.

I do not know whether you would appreciate a critique here, in this forum, and if not, I'll remove this post.

The white background of the forum, as well as on the photobucket site does not do justice to the image. Only when you click on the magnifying glass there and it dims the background, you can appreciate the details in the shadows, and the light parts start really to glow. In any case, I think that the whole image might benefit from some extra exposure (perhaps between 1/4 and 1/3 f/stop, depending on the background). That would make the white clouds a bit brighter too.

Oh, and yes, when viewed in a darkened environment, the image is indeed splendid! ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:50:59 am by Roman Racela »

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:39:09 am »

Outstanding and Slobodan has an excellent suggestion regarding the dark background...
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:44:06 am »

Wonderful photo.

Roman Racela

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:58:59 am »

Thank you francois

Outstanding and Slobodan has an excellent suggestion regarding the dark background...

Roman Racela

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:59:38 am »

DwayneOakes

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:33:14 am »

Another outstanding image on here ! The catch light in the bushes
in the FG against the dark background is fantastic !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:48:22 am »

Slobodon is correct.  When viewed without the white backgroud, the image just jumps and provides the illusion of being there.  Great job!

Mark

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:35 pm »

First-rate!

Roman Racela

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 06:01:22 pm »

Thanks Dwayne. I smiled when you commented on the bushes because that's my favorite part of this image. It just adds some interesting detail to the entire shot. Kind of like the cherry on top.

Another outstanding image on here ! The catch light in the bushes
in the FG against the dark background is fantastic !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Roman Racela

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:03:20 pm »

I think I'm going to do a large print of this and use black or dark matting around it as a border before framing it. Thanks for all the comments guys!

Slobodon is correct.  When viewed without the white backgroud, the image just jumps and provides the illusion of being there.  Great job!

Mark

Roman Racela

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:05:19 pm »

Thank you, Scott. I have been to this location more than a dozen times and only have 5 images that I like so far. I think it's a patience and timing thing at this spot. :)

First-rate!
Pages: [1]   Go Up