Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mossbrae Falls California (access)  (Read 8709 times)

sanfairyanne

Mossbrae Falls California (access)
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:04:11 pm »

I wonder if anyone could help me, I have long wanted to shoot Mossbrae Falls near Shasta Ca. However, Wikipedia says this;
In the summer of 2011, city officials began urging people not to visit the falls, citing the danger of walking on and along active railroad tracks. To discourage trespassing, citations are being issued to people who park in the Shasta Retreat. Work continues on the development of an alternate route.

I wonder if that information is still correct. Truthfully I would be prepared to take a few risks because I may never get another chance to visit.

Secondly if I were to visit I would be likely to go in July, my guess is that the falls are a perennial flow but perhaps not. Can anyone tell me, would I be disappointed to visit at this time. Perhaps there's not much color to the foliage, or not much water, or too much.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

ron ritcher

Re: Mossbrae Falls California (access)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:48:49 pm »

Hello,

I can't supply any updated info, but DO make further inquiries and try to get there.  I'd suggest contacting the Dunsmuir C of C for the latest.  When I made the trek about 5 years ago, the community realized it had a potential attraction and was wrestling with ideas to improve access -- no ideas how far along they have come, though.

The walk up the tracks took about 30 minutes each way, and while not dangerous, was uncomfortable, because the base rock the tracks lie on is SHARP -- and there often is not enough room to find softer dirt.

I went in mid-summer and there's plenty of water; I believe that, similar to Burney Falls (only about another hour away -- try them, too!), Mossbrae is fed by year-round springs.

Good luck!

Ron

Graham Welland

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:55:47 pm »

I was there earlier this year. The main issue is limited parking access at the beginning of the trail. There were no physical restrictions other that you literally have to walk alongside the railway tracks and it is an active line with rail traffic. I know that they are not keen for folks to use that route to the falls and hence the restrictions that I read about too. I didn't have a problem but that may also have been because it was at a less popular time of the year and also mid-week.

If you're worried about getting a ticket etc then you can park up on the road above the community where you gain access to the railway and just walk down the hill.
Graham

dreed

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 08:54:46 am »

As with others, I've parked by the rail and walked up by the rail (and even beyond the falls to see what was there and it wasn't much.)

Keep off the rails at all times where possible.

btw, there are some other falls in/around Shasta that can be quite pretty when photographed correctly - one of the smaller ones you can even stand behind.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:18:49 am »

If you park by the railroad you will be ticketed.  You need to park in the forest.  Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up