Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does Lightroom limit the number of thumbnails in web galleries?  (Read 1609 times)

Michael Bailey

I like the elegance of the Lightroom web function, but the way it restricts the number of thumbnails on an index page (5 rows maximum) makes it almost unusable for me. Does anyone know of a way to override this limitation?
Thanks.   MB

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Why does Lightroom limit the number of thumbnails in web galleries?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »

Bizarre, isn't it. Use my modified version instead - it has no limit.

Michael Bailey

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:46:45 pm »

John,
I think you should reserve tickets for a trip to Scandinavia, because the Nobel people must surely have you on their shortlist. Your plug-in is EXACTLY what I needed. Until now I've been saving a copy of Photoshop CS-3, just to take advantage of the old Web Gallery function. Now I can make better sites, faster, without having to dance around to other programs.

Here's my wish for your next trick: Find a way to make the Lightroom Library acknowledge the existence of files types it doesn't approve of. (For me, even a black thumbnail for un-maximized PSD or PNG files would really fill a hole in the program's design.)

Thanks again.   MB

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:42:53 am »

Glad you like it.

PNG files are in Lightroom 5, and I'd just maximise those PSDs with an action. If you want any type of file, there's a plugin called AnyFile - never used it but I believe it works.

John

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:17:27 am »

I like the elegance of the Lightroom web function, but the way it restricts the number of thumbnails on an index page (5 rows maximum) makes it almost unusable for me. Does anyone know of a way to override this limitation?
Thanks.   MB

My guess is that more thumbs would result in unsuitably small images. But, it should be the user, not Adobe, who decides that.

Michael Bailey

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »

John, thanks for that tip. I will look into Anyfile. Because of Lightroom, I don't use un-maximized PSD files anymore, but it was a frustrating task when I couldn't use Photoshop Lightroom to help me find certain Photoshop files. But, with time and therapy, I've gotten over it.

And, Peter: I'm not after small thumbnails so much as the ability to make a long page of regular sized ones. I guess the priority for Lightroom's design is to avoid scrolling by the viewer. Me, I'd rather have them scroll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up