Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a Road  (Read 6738 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Just a Road
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:38:59 am »

Struggling with this one. For some reason I find the image compelling, but something still bothers me about it. Tried color and B/W. Thought I'd put it out there for comments from my colleagues. Have at it, if you'd be so kind!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Just a Road
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:42:48 am »

I like it, David. It's compelling because it speaks to me of peace and fecundity. But it skirts awfully close to cliché, and that may be what bothers you.

I'll vote for the color version. The B&W loses too much of the fresh life bursting out in those green leaves.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Riccardo

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:20:57 pm »

Russ is right. The black and white version is focused on the "S" shape of the road, and this is a cliché.
In the color version prevails the luxuriance of the green vegetation, which harmonizes well with the color of the road.
In the BW version I look at the "S" shape of the road.
In the color version I immerse myself.
The color version is very pleasant

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »

Russ, Ricardo, thanks for the comments. You're right, part of what caught my eye was the cloistered greenness of an overcast day...and the road was just a path. I will have to ponder this some more. I am glad you could pick up on the mood. Someone is now about to spoil our party ;)

nemo295

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

I like them both, but I'm leaning towards the feeling of mystery in the b&w version.

Harald L

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 05:57:44 pm »

I like the b/w much more may be because I'm driving such a road twice a day... But when I've played with your b/w a little bit I've found out that your picture tolerates much more of contrast in order to enhance the mood of mystery.
Glad to be an amateur

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »

... Someone is now about to spoil our party ;)

At your service, Sir!

My take:

nemo295

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »

I like the darker, moodier feel and the cooler color palette of Slobodan's version.

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:06:11 pm »

Well that is different, Slobodan!  But what I like about the original is the transition from dark to light and your version loses some of that ambience.

Harald L

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:11:59 pm »

I've got a question regarding your rules in this forum: Is it generally allowed to post modified pictures in order to discuss a picture?
Glad to be an amateur

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:16:52 pm »

I've got a question regarding your rules in this forum: Is it generally allowed to post modified pictures in order to discuss a picture?

It would be nice to ask first.

However, since David and I are old forum friends and have done it several times in the past, I believe I have his standing approval for modifications.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:10 pm »

Well that is different, Slobodan!...

Indeed. What i did is typically known as "American Night," a movie technique used to simulate a night scene while filming in daylight.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 06:51:40 pm »

As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Indeed, Slobodan has been gracious enough to show me when I wasn't getting what he was saying; I have learned a ton from this exchange (tonne for you Euro folks). My take on adjustments (certainly for me, especially when posting to "User Critiques") is that if they're well intentioned then modify away. I always make sure to send the copies to trash right away after checking EXIF data or trying (and maybe posting) a mod. Hope that seems right; there are more experienced forum denizens than I with perhaps different views.

Slobodan, that mod certainly was interesting. Is it a filter or a technique? Serious question: Is there something about a photo like this (perhaps its ambiguity?) that renders it amenable to multiple interpretations? Of course I could be over thinking it like I seem to do a lot with PP ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »

... Slobodan, that mod certainly was interesting. Is it a filter or a technique? Serious question: Is there something about a photo like this (perhaps its ambiguity?) that renders it amenable to multiple interpretations?...

My modification is rather simple: white balance into the blue, slight exposure darkening and strong post-crop vignette.

What makes this photo (well seen, btw) "open to interpretation" is the positive side of a cliché: it contains recognizable and symbolic elements, each carrying its metaphorical meaning - winding deserted road, s-curve, deep forest. I added night and moonlight, again each with their own metaphorical meanings.

My take on clichés is that they are like comfort food, sickening in large amounts, but, boy, does it make you feel good when the timing and quantity is right ;)

AFairley

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »

I should never have had that fourth cliché . . . .     :(

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 07:46:29 am »

I should never have had that fourth cliché . . . .     :(
LOL. Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going with the color version, for now.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 08:24:51 am »

As to clichés and edits...I think once you put your work up for critique, it's pretty much fair game for whatever as long as whatever is done for the purpose of demonstrating another take. I could tell you or Dave lots of possibilities but language sometimes becomes a barrier whereas, for the sake of another cliché, a picture is worth a thousand words. I don't edit many, but there are those occasions... ;D so shoot me, already!

And, to the cliché shot: can we really allow ourselves to ignore these shots every time? I think as a cliché, Dave's works fine. Were there two little kids holding hands taking a stroll, then we get in to kitsch and that's where I tend to draw the line...just my opinion.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Tonysx

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »

As Slobodan has already shown, PP can provide any amount of (possibly) acceptable alterations. Perhaps these will induce David to essay his own?

‘Be you ever so high, the law

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »

Interesting. None of the "improvements" have come close to the quality of the first version.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Tonysx

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »

Interesting. None of the "improvements" have come close to the quality of the first version.
I don't think that Slobodan or I claimed an improvement, merely an alternative. And I'm unsure as to which piece of "quality" has been degraded? We've both changed light/colour and if this is detrimental so be it. Just goes to show - "Quality is in the eye of the beholder".
‘Be you ever so high, the law
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up