Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector and Projection Advice  (Read 39038 times)

Philip Weber

Projector and Projection Advice
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:45 pm »

I'm looking at purchasing a projector to show my images, and keep it to as near $1,200 as possible. I've looked online at the Optoma X304M and the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350, but have the following questions. Please be aware that this branch of photography is brand new to me!

Calibration: I calibrate my monitor and want to know if projectors now can automatically match a monitor's output (6,500 K, Gamma of 2.2). If not, can they be set manually to a specific number or does one have to go through the process of calibrating like we do with monitors (I use the Spyder 3). If it's the latter, will a Sypder 3 do the job or is there more specialized equipment needed.

Slideshow Application: I'd like to use Lightroom (I'm on Ver. 4.4). Are there any obstacles to setting up the images, plugging in the monitor and starting the show? I'm not concerned about music playing.

File Type, Image Size and Color Space: Do the images in the slideshow need to been a certain type (i.e. JPEG), sized in a certain way, and in a lower gamut color space like sRGB? In a perfect world, I'd like to keep them their native size and in the TIFF file format they're in now.

Screen: I'm clueless here. Are there small portable ones that can/should be purchased matching the projector or, if the facility one is showing images at has one, just go with whatever's available?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated and thanks!
Phil     

jstapley

Re: Projector and Projection Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:42:45 pm »

I recently purchased the Optoma HD200x for $629. Costco used to sell this model in Canada for $1299 and there are some refurb units selling for $629.  I matched this with the Max Contrast Screen Goo for $225 and now I have an incredible home theater with a 120" screen for less than $900.
Pages: [1]   Go Up