Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Epson 2200 and cheap ink  (Read 1487 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Old Epson 2200 and cheap ink
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:50 am »

I would like to teach my 5th and 6th graders about photography and let them print their work.  I have an old clogged up Epson 2200 and would consider buying the cheapest inks I can find, possibly from MIS.  My fear is that I will buy the inks and then not be able to unclog my printer.  Have any of you experimented with cheap third party inks using an old printer?  Or do I suck it up and print from my Epson 4800?  I can even get a bus to take my students to famous spots in Yosemite. 

HSakols

Re: Old Epson 2200 and cheap ink
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:56:21 am »

I'm sorry I meant to post under printing.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:25:40 am »

Does the printer have any ink in it now ?
If so, have you tried clearing the heads ? After prolonged periods of not being used it'll usually take a few goes at getting the nozzles cleared, but my 2100 has always come good fairly quickly.
If you can't get it run a cleaning cycle at all it's more of a gamble. If you're lucky with some full carts it may just clear and you'll be off and running, but it may be beyond help if it's run completely dry.

Remember that with non-OEM inks you probably won't get such reliable colour unless you get a custom profile made.

Also the 4800 will probably still be cheaper to run due to the larger cart size.

HSakols

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:46:47 am »

Yeah I got it to print, but clearly not all the inks were passing through and I had terrible banding.  I'm thinking more that I will just print on my 4800.  I only have 18 students and I thought they might make two prints each, just to see how it works out.  Now I need to buy a bunch of cheap used compact camera's.  Keep in mind these guys and girls are quite young, but enthusiastic.  I've always wanted to take them to inspiration point, el capitan meadow, and valley view in Yosemite.  For now I have the summer off - hurray!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up