Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I wish I was......  (Read 1689 times)

stamper

I wish I was......
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:07:17 am »

Not posted a critique for a while. Is there enough ambiguity?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: I wish I was......
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:23:25 am »

It's certainly full of ambiguity, and lends itself well to a caption competition. Here's mine,

Sorry Cinderella, you won't be going to the ball, 'cos the fairy godmother has had a night on the town, is rather bleary-eyed, and missed the last train here.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:53:46 am »

That sounds reasonable Bill. Now her other two friends have arrived.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:16 am »

The first one makes me cringe, the second makes me smile :)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:17 am »

... and the third one?

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:27:59 am »

He fancies the third one Bill. She is a looker? ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:09 pm »

Ok, guys... I meant first vs. second photo... but I guess you knew that ;)

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »

The first photo is very good, but borders on exploitive to my eye. It doesn't look like Arbus, but it has that same worrying frisson.

Still, it's very good!

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:45 pm »

The first photo is very good, but borders on exploitive to my eye. It doesn't look like Arbus, but it has that same worrying frisson.

Still, it's very good!

I think them quite different: Arbus shot folks who were what they were, for richer or poorer; this chick is dressed up for the party and, clearly enough, seems happy to spread the 'fun'.

Maybe in b/white there could be the promise of something a little darker in intent... but not as the group shot, which makes it far too clearly fun-oriented.

I have been away a long time; it's always possible that street styles have changed... when I speak of returning, everyone tells me I wouldn't like it now.  Maybe they wouldn't like it now.

Who knows?

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:04:44 pm »

It reminds me of a series done by Leonard Nimoy where he invited people to bring their 'inner selves' to his studio.  The first image asks, "Is she trying to be something she isn't, or is she happy being who she is?"

Mike.

Sort of related, this video is incredibly beautiful: http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_solomon_love_no_matter_what.html
If your mind is attuned t

stamper

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 03:58:23 am »

When I posted the original image I thought that the image in the poster was what she possibly wished she could look like. Modern and chic. I could see a connect/disconnect between the two hence the title. A bit of fun on my part and not an attempt to ridicule. The girls were full of fun and they were waiting on a car which arrived and they departed. I got back to the more serious subject of shooting a demonstration against the hated bedroom tax that the government are trying to reduce benefits for the less well off residents in the UK. :'(

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:04:00 am »

When I posted the original image I thought that the image in the poster was what she possibly wished she could look like. Modern and chic. I could see a connect/disconnect between the two hence the title. A bit of fun on my part and not an attempt to ridicule. The girls were full of fun and they were waiting on a car which arrived and they departed. I got back to the more serious subject of shooting a demonstration against the hated bedroom tax that the government are trying to reduce benefits for the less well off residents in the UK. :'(

Trouble is, somebody else has to stump up the money.

That's one of the reasons so many folks risk their lives trying to get to Britain even though they are already in other parts of Europe; much of Britain is too stupid to grasp that reality. Were Britain one of the richest nations in the world, that would be the time for it to indulge in worldwide charity. As the NHS appears to be grinding to a halt, as the roads are increasingly full of potholes, perhaps that indicates that Britain faces its own huge problems of overspending as it is and can't face any more.

But of course, Ed balls always says that the answer to debt is to take on even more of the same. A genius.

Sadly for the country, in the eyes of so many voters, something-for-nothing has become a way of life, another right.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up