Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not your average remote-controlled camera  (Read 2978 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Not your average remote-controlled camera
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:14:19 am »

Okay, maybe your average $50K remote-controlled camera...

http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2013/the-alpa-12-gets-airborne

The videos are interesting.  Not sure I'd want to be running that chopper if it had a sudden systems failure, though.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Not your average remote-controlled camera
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:35 am »

Have started on such a project myself with aerial panos as the goal.  Those multicopters have the glide ratio of a brick and tend to fall out of the sky with alarming frequency, built as they are mainly out of cheap, hobbyist grade components.  Will limit my camera payload cost to about $1,000, can I buy an IQ180 for that?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:27 am »

Have started on such a project myself with aerial panos as the goal.  Those multicopters have the glide ratio of a brick and tend to fall out of the sky with alarming frequency, built as they are mainly out of cheap, hobbyist grade components.  Will limit my camera payload cost to about $1,000, can I buy an IQ180 for that?

Why waste your money on that stuff when you could take advantage of my kind offer and buy my D200 for the same sum instead? I'd even throw in a body cap!

;-)

Rob C

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:29 am »

Not sure I'd want to be running that chopper if it had a sudden systems failure, though.

That's what's friends' cameras are for…  :D

Seriously, the use of drones by french and others european TV channels is skyrocketing although they seem to be using less expensive cameras. Before the advent of those multicopters, they used helicopters or small aircrafts to shoot video...
Francois

bill t.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:30:01 am »

I am trying very hard to avoid the using the word "drone" in relation to those peaceable, art-serving , privacy-respecting "multicopters."  Too much sinister baggage with the "D" word, and too many political wannabees are trying to build careers by regulating them out of the sky.

Whatever else, it's a wonder how magical the world looks from a just few meters above our heads.  Hills have long provided vistas that cheer the hearts of landscape photographers.  A multicopter provides you with a sort of portable hill that can transfigure mediocre locations into something remarkable.  But it ain't easy.

And Rob, thanks for your too-generous offer.  Will be getting back to you any day now.

francois

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:55:17 pm »

I am trying very hard to avoid the using the word "drone" in relation to those peaceable, art-serving , privacy-respecting "multicopters."  Too much sinister baggage with the "D" word, and too many political wannabees are trying to build careers by regulating them out of the sky.…

Even here in Europe, "drone" has become a word to avoid and is often linked with reapers and predators…
Multicopters seems to be a lot more acceptable and also it is technically better. I wonder whether the company behind the popular AR Parrot drones has envisioned a name change.
Francois

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 03:02:48 pm »

Whatever else, it's a wonder how magical the world looks from a just few meters above our heads.  Hills have long provided vistas that cheer the hearts of landscape photographers.  A multicopter provides you with a sort of portable hill that can transfigure mediocre locations into something remarkable.  But it ain't easy.

There's a TV series called 'Canada: Over the Edge' and while it's made with a camera mounted on the nose of a real helicopter, we watched an episode last night that included an aerial view of our hometown (Victoria) and some of the areas around southern Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. It was refreshing to see it from a different perspective!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

bill t.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:06 pm »

There's a TV series called 'Canada: Over the Edge' and while it's made with a camera mounted on the nose of a real helicopter, we watched an episode last night that included an aerial view of our hometown (Victoria) and some of the areas around southern Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. It was refreshing to see it from a different perspective!

Oh yes, people just love seeing their familiar environs raised to the level of something special or even remarkable.  I make a living doing those kinds of shots.  Shoot your local environs as if it were some fabulous national park, and you will have an instant customer base.

The little multicopters have a real advantage over their full sized ancestors in that they can get very close to subjects without destroying them with wind wash, blown debris, etc.  The hurricane-like fury of a full sized helicopter's downwash catches most people by surprise.  Multicopters can also operate in very confined spaces and are safe to use below tree and utility wire levels.  But please, no slot canyons.

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:32 pm »

theres a cut rate model that utilizes less expensive plastic rather than Oak Rotors  I'm told

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:45:27 am »

At a recent show another vendor had half a dozen different featured models of multi-engine electric helos for sale. I played with one over a few days and was very impressed with the precision and range of these. One could use a much smaller platform than the one illustrated and mount a couple (or more) miniature 10 MP cameras in an array and get pretty good results for probably 1/10th the cost of the one shown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up