Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sharpening for digital negatives  (Read 2040 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
sharpening for digital negatives
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:53:39 pm »

I'm starting to work with digital negatives to make initially silver prints but hope to move to platinum palladium prints later.  I'm curious to hear from others about how they sharpen their files for printing digitial negatives?   I'm using both film scans and digitally captured images and fell comfortable with the capture level sharpening, but wonder what you all do for output sharpening.  I have the pixelgenius sharpener plugin for PS5, but wonder if the amount of sharpening for inkjet paper is too much for a digital negative or if a different radius or type is better?   

Thanks,
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: sharpening for digital negatives
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:10:54 pm »

I'm starting to work with digital negatives to make initially silver prints but hope to move to platinum palladium prints later.  I'm curious to hear from others about how they sharpen their files for printing digitial negatives?   I'm using both film scans and digitally captured images and fell comfortable with the capture level sharpening, but wonder what you all do for output sharpening.  I have the pixelgenius sharpener plugin for PS5, but wonder if the amount of sharpening for inkjet paper is too much for a digital negative or if a different radius or type is better?   

Thanks,
Eric

This is an unanswerable question in the manner put. Outcomes differ depending on whether the original media is a digital file or a digitized file from a film scan, then the size of the film original etc.  (I assume your use of the words "digital negative" simply means an image file) and on what kind of paper you will make the print. Photokit Sharpener is the way to go for this because there is a plethora of canned settings from which to choose, between the different output and creative sharpeners. I think this is best addressed by experimentation, starting with a preset that closest defines the medium. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:01:06 pm »

Pretty sure Eric is talking about printing out on film to make an inter-neg in order to make contact prints with light sensitive coated paper...in this case, it'll be tough but I would start with the Contone Output sharpeners...you may need to do a test and I suspect it'll ultimately depend on the final paper you print on.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »

Pretty sure Eric is talking about printing out on film to make an inter-neg in order to make contact prints with light sensitive coated paper...in this case, it'll be tough but I would start with the Contone Output sharpeners...you may need to do a test and I suspect it'll ultimately depend on the final paper you print on.

That's correct, thanks!  I was looking at the Contone output sharpeners but wondered which would be appropriate to start with - 300?  I'm printing onto Pictorico UTP-100 film with a 44inch HP Z3200 PS.   Mostly going from digital back files to 11x14 and 16x20 inch sheets.     I only did capture level sharpening with the first negatives and the analog prints did not look as sharp as I wanted.  Printing to Illford multigrade fiber glossy film paper and putting the ink side of the negative down onto the paper under glass.

Rolleiflex USA

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »

rinting to Illford multigrade fiber glossy film paper and putting the ink side of the negative down onto the paper under glass.

When I was doing this many years ago, I found that a vacuum easel improved sharpness.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up