Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Istanbul Protests  (Read 5217 times)

amsp

Istanbul Protests
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:18:49 am »

I'm currently in Istanbul, staying in Beşiktaş where some of the worst clashes to date took place last night. I took some pictures that I thought I'd share, unfortunately I only brought my old trusty P25, so I did what I could and cranked it up to ISO 800, set my manual focus lens to f/1.9 and went to work. I also didn't have a gas mask, so I couldn't get that close to the police before my face, eyes, and throat started burning like crazy.

This pretty much sums up how unfair the fight is, police in full riot gear deliberately targeting unprotected, and unarmed protesters
with metal gas canisters, water cannons and batons.

Retreating from the gas cloud.

Thousands of people on the streets.

Getting ready for the tear gas.

Temporary respite.

The whole neighborhood shows it's support and solidarity with the protesters.

Makeshift protection.

Shop owners cheering on the crowds.

Protesters offering home made remedies against the tear gas to anyone who needs it.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Istanbul Protests
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:19 am »

Best wishes for safety and a positive outcome to the turmoil (trite, I realize, but I can't think of another way to say it).

Did you process these images in Capture One 7.x or Capture One 6 or Lightroom?

I ask not to get overly technical (and ignore some very jarring and amazing imagery) but only because Capture One 7 does a much better job than Capture One 6 at rendering files taken with the highest ISO of any given digital back (for others: 800 was the highest ISO on the P25+).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:29:05 am by Doug Peterson »

amsp

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:32:13 am »

Best wishes for safety and a positive outcome to the turmoil (trite, I realize, but I can't think of another way to say it).

Did you process these images in Capture One 7.x or Capture One 6 or Lightroom?

I ask not to get overly technical (and ignore some very jarring and amazing imagery) but only because Capture One 7 does a much better job than Capture One 6 at rendering files taken with the highest ISO of any given digital back (for others: 800 was the highest ISO on the P25+).

Thanks for the info Doug, I'm still using Capture One 6 right now, but will update to 7 per your suggestion.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:26:36 am »

Stay safe my friend.

jerome_m

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »

Who said that MF cameras cannot be used for nighttime or event photography?  ;)

Nice pictures, thanks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »

Who said that MF cameras cannot be used for nighttime or event photography?  ;)...

Or just another example where iPhone would be superior?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:12:02 pm »

... This pretty much sums up how unfair the fight is, police in full riot gear deliberately targeting unprotected, and unarmed protesters with metal gas canisters, water cannons and batons...

Hmmm... I always thought that the police is meant to have an unfair advantage by design, no?

amsp

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:34:48 pm »

For anyone wanting to follow this more closely, or just learn more I recommend:

http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com

blueperfect

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:57:18 pm »

Great images! Impressed how well you pulled those night shots--hand-held I would guess? Glad you stayed safe and away from the tear-gas.

I happened to be there as well, staying at a hotel half a block from Taksim Square.

I too had only my P25+ on a Hasselblad 503 and a 40mm f/4.0. Certainly not a rig for would-be journalists!

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »

Great images! Impressed how well you pulled those night shots--hand-held I would guess? Glad you stayed safe and away from the tear-gas.

I happened to be there as well, staying at a hotel half a block from Taksim Square.

I too had only my P25+ on a Hasselblad 503 and a 40mm f/4.0. Certainly not a rig for would-be journalists!

great pictures

Iluvmycam

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »

Nice work!

Are they spraying the photogs with pepper or gas?

Looks like they use high pressure backpack spray guns now.

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:06 pm »

i guess here we have a perfect example  ;)

amsp

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »

Nice pictures blueperfect, I especially liked the one with the running riot police, thanks for adding to the thread. Yes, mine were done hand held, at f/1.9 and waaaay too slow speeds. The results are maybe not something for the pixelpeepers, but sometimes it's more important to get the shot than being technically perfect. As far as the tear gas goes, I'm afraid I got a face full, not exactly a pleasant experience. Stay safe!

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »

Hmmm... I always thought that the police is meant to have an unfair advantage by design, no?

A fuzz that can't win the fight is not worth having: costs the taxpayer a lot for little.

As ever, there are at least two sides to every story, and I'm sure that the ordinary citizens who get their cars and shops trashed are all supportive of the crowd. A bloodlust is the same phenomenon, regardless of sides. Again, watch Aljazeera...

I understand from the tv that the protests are partly against a more radical governmental shift towards Islam than many want; I understand that means that there is a lot to lose if the protests fail, but the lessons of all the other 'Arab Spring' situations seem to be anything but positive. And yes, I also see that Turkey doesn't quite see itself in that light... but then, neither do the two Irelands (and what's the prognosis when all it is about is two different versions of the same basic belief?), and they haven't settled anything properly yet.

People and beliefs are the problem, as ever.

Rob C

Iluvmycam

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »

Nice pictures blueperfect, I especially liked the one with the running riot police, thanks for adding to the thread. Yes, mine were done hand held, at f/1.9 and waaaay too slow speeds. The results are maybe not something for the pixelpeepers, but sometimes it's more important to get the shot than being technically perfect. As far as the tear gas goes, I'm afraid I got a face full, not exactly a pleasant experience. Stay safe!

Listen up...street / doc togs don't complain about cutt offs or blur. Sure if a shot is so messed up it is worthless...then it is worthless.

But if you got 75% of what your after it can still be a success. The only ones who will complain are anal landscape, macro or large format studio togs.

blueperfect

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:41 pm »

Listen up...street / doc togs don't complain about cutt offs or blur. Sure if a shot is so messed up it is worthless...then it is worthless.

But if you got 75% of what your after it can still be a success. The only ones who will complain are anal landscape, macro or large format studio togs.

As an extremely anal landscape and studio still-life shooter, I had a very difficult time letting go of all that and letting the blur and chaos happen. At times it is like wrestling a bear with that camera out of the studio. But there is _magic_ sometimes in that chaos. Well said iluvmycam!

amsp

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 04:39:29 am »

Here's a pretty accurate summary of the first week of the protests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59XPBtofVGA

Pages: [1]   Go Up