Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm vs Voigtlander Nokton 25mm  (Read 4860 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm vs Voigtlander Nokton 25mm
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:24:19 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with both lenses and could let me know which one is sharper wide open ? I want to use one of them on a GH3 body. I would prefer a slightly wider one but good sharpness wide open is more important to me than the field of view difference.

Telecaster

Re: Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm vs Voigtlander Nokton 25mm
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »

I'd say the two are equally sharp at f/0.95. Go for the FOV you prefer.

I started out using mainly the 25 but lately I've really warmed to the 17.5. For evening/night pic-taking I can shoot with a slower Tv...and the extra weight of the lens helps with this too.

-Dave-

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »

Would you happen to have any 1:1 crops of something shot with the lenses wide open ? Something you could post if it's not to much trouble.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »

Sorry, no offense intended, but I've sworn off measurbating. I seriously doubt, though, you'd be able to tell the two lenses apart at f/0.95 in 15x20" prints aside from the FOV difference. They have near-identical resolution, contrast, color and even corner light-falloff characteristics.

-Dave-

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:53:57 pm »

Sorry, no offense intended, but I've sworn off measurbating. I seriously doubt, though, you'd be able to tell the two lenses apart at f/0.95 in 15x20" prints aside from the FOV difference. They have near-identical resolution, contrast, color and even corner light-falloff characteristics.

-Dave-

All right, fair enough. You did mention the lenses were sharp so all I wanted was a crop in order to see what your definition of sharp was. That term seems to be thrown around rather loosely on the internet so one never knows....

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »

All right, fair enough. You did mention the lenses were sharp so all I wanted was a crop in order to see what your definition of sharp was. That term seems to be thrown around rather loosely on the internet so one never knows....

Ok, I reconsidered. Here are a pair of mundane shots with the Voigt 17.5 & 25mm lenses. Both wide open, camera on tripod, in-camera JPEGs set for Natural color palette w/ contrast & sharpening at minimum values. The first two pics are resized full frames w/ a touch of USM. The second two are full-res crops w/ point-of-focus roughly in the center. No other post-shot processing. The 17.5mm comes first in both cases.

-Dave-

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:19 pm »

Thank you for posting these !
Pages: [1]   Go Up