Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: antelope abstract  (Read 3488 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
antelope abstract
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:40 pm »

Thoughts?

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:34:52 pm by kikashi »

Rob C

Re: antelope abstract
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »

Reminds me of pyjamas and a crumpled bed... but no, no famous British artiste and her bed entered my mind. Not for even a moment. Promise.

What's the point of asking folks like me?

But, to be constructive for a change: I'd have a pop at keeping the max. blacks pretty much as they are, but darken the lighter greys down somewhat. I think you're perhaps limiting yourself by wanting to stick close to reality.

;-)

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:49:26 pm »

I agree with Rob a lot more often than I disagree, but this is one of the times when I disagree. I think the light is very fine. The brightness range is just about perfect and the mid-tones are beautiful. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:20:36 pm »

I very much like this image Jeremy and your rendering of it, but being the total obsessive type that I obviously am, I would also like to have seen the peak of lighter rock in the centre top of the scene completed (or at least the appearance of being completed), rather than being ever so slightly clipped off at the top.

Or perhaps that is just me being a complete pedant  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:23:11 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:08:31 pm »

I would also like to have seen the peak of lighter rock in the centre top of the scene completed (or at least the appearance of being completed), rather than being ever so slightly clipped off at the top.

+1

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:33:48 pm »

Jeremy,

I love this! I think it's one of your best that I've seen, and much more interesting than the usual Antelope shots.
I agree with Russ that the tonalities are just right.

As for the missing "peak," that should be easy to fix. Just go back another time, when the light conditions are exactly the same, and tilt the camera a tiny bit upward.   ;)
(But if that seems like too much trouble, it's fine just as it is.)

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:55 am »

Simply expand the canvas and use content aware fill!   ;D

Very well done, BTW.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:12:37 am »

Thanks, all!

It's actually a standard, vertical Antelope shot, turned 90 degrees clockwise. As well as LR, the processing was done with my newly-acquired Topaz Clarity, which I suspect may have some potential. I wish it didn't crash quite so often, though.

Actually, "fixing" the light peak is even easier than time travel; I have a rather less-cropped version. I don't like it because I find the large, dark rocks at the top give a cramped, oppressive feel; and the idea of a possible exit from the centre of the shot, following the light upwards, appealed to me (God, I hate trying to describe emotions in photography - it's harder than talking about wine).

Anyway, here it is. I've added a little grain.

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 06:17:52 am »

Thanks, all!

It's actually a standard, vertical Antelope shot, turned 90 degrees clockwise. As well as LR, the processing was done with my newly-acquired Topaz Clarity, which I suspect may have some potential. I wish it didn't crash quite so often, though.

Actually, "fixing" the light peak is even easier than time travel; I have a rather less-cropped version. I don't like it because I find the large, dark rocks at the top give a cramped, oppressive feel; and the idea of a possible exit from the centre of the shot, following the light upwards, appealed to me (God, I hate trying to describe emotions in photography - it's harder than talking about wine).

Anyway, here it is. I've added a little grain.

Jeremy

Yup, I prefer this version, it now seems more complete to me and more balanced - but do you agree?

It is your image after all and should represent your emotional connection with the scene, I can only advise what I think I would have done had I been there with my camera, but you are the creator of the image, so even though I might prefer this second version, the real question is, do you?

If you prefer the first version and it is more representative of your creative process and thinking, then I strongly advise you to stick with it, because as I said, I can only advise and review an image from my point of view, which of course may be totally different from yours and everyone elses point of view.

:)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:42:57 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:15:56 am »

Well, in the second version, you can see more pillow! I think it's a better shape, too.

Just teasing - no negative vibes intended.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:08:30 am »

I'm with you, Jeremy. It gets too heavy on the top without the crop. Never thought I'd say something like that.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 05:48:16 pm »

I'm with you, Jeremy. It gets too heavy on the top without the crop. Never thought I'd say something like that.

Well if Russ is advising you to "CROP" then I really must be wrong in so many ways, don't think I am of course, but if the king of the anti-croppers, is willing to let slip his crown, to publicly advocate the cropping of an image, then I can do no more than bow down in low humility and suggest you follow his advice.

Have at it Jeremy.

;D

Dave
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:56:54 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

nemo295

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:21:59 am »

I think the ideal crop would be halfway between the first and second versions. The first one seems a little too tight at the top.

But I do like the shot in general. Also, just seeing Antelope in monochrome is refreshing.

This is the first Antelope picture I've seen in a long time that doesn't look like every other Antelope picture.

cjogo

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:01:15 am »

Its all there ~!!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:43 am »

Again, thanks.

Rob, I'm happy to be teased (and I do, sort of, see what you're getting at).

Dave, come now: we all know there's no "right" or "wrong" about these things.

Doug, I think you're right. It may be that my first crop was a little too tight. I'll make a couple of prints and see how I feel after a week or two.

Russ, I'm almost speechless. In fact, if this weren't the second time (that I recall) you've conceded a crop, I would be all the way there.

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 04:40:07 am »

I think the ideal crop would be halfway between the first and second versions. The first one seems a little too tight at the top.

But I do like the shot in general. Also, just seeing Antelope in monochrome is refreshing.

This is the first Antelope picture I've seen in a long time that doesn't look like every other Antelope picture.

+1

:D

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »

I quite like the second photo Jeremy.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:58 pm »

Sorry, Jeremy, but I can't leave this one alone.

Here is my preferred cropping:

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 02:57:26 pm »

I'm not averse to that, Eric. It spoils my "exit" idea but I suspect it's what Dave was getting at from the start.

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 04:39:09 am »

Here is my preferred cropping:

Eric M.

Absolutely spot on Eric  :)

I think there is as much skill/art in completing the internal edges of the frame, as there is in choosing and designing the contents within the frame.

This has always been a really good image Jeremy, whatever the crop, but its this feeling of 'completeness' that I was trying to get across and this final cut does that absolutely.

This has been quite an interesting discussion.

Thanks guys and thanks Jeremy for posting  :)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up